WBO, IBF, WBA, WBC cruiserweight champion Oleksandr Usyk will likely take one of two fights before a potential heavyweight clash with WBO, WBA, IBF, IBO champion Anthony Joshua.
Eddie Hearn, who promotes both Usyk and Joshua, denies published reports that a Joshua vs. Usyk clash has been discussed for April 13th, when Joshua is scheduled to defend his titles at Wembley Stadium in London.
"I saw reports saying that the Joshua fight was done. Certainly not," Hearn told Sky Sports. "There's not even been one conversation about that fight, other than they want it in the future. But if he's going to move to heavyweight, there's nothing concrete yet."
According to Hearn, Usyk will not be ready to defend his titles until the at least April or May - after going through a very busy 2018 - which him win the World Boxing Super Series with victories over Murat Gassiev and Mairis Briedis, and then score a knockout of Tony Bellew in November.
Usyk will be ringside on December 22 at The O2 in London, when Dillian Whyte and Dereck Chisora collide in a rematch. The winner of that fight is expected to become the frontrunner for Joshua's return date. Usyk is going to be scouting the fight as well, with Whyte and Chisora being mentioned as potential opponents.
"He's going to need a good rest because he boxed so many times last year. He hardly had any rest between big fights, so I don't think he'll be ready until April or May. I would think he'll want one or two fights before he fights Joshua," Hearn said.
"But if he would take that fight straight away, and Whyte or Chisora are not available, and we can't make Wilder or Fury, I don't know. But [Joshua vs Usyk] is not something we're actually looking at, at the moment."