As previously reported, former heavyweight world champion David Haye has pulled out of next month’s scheduled showdown with WBC cruiserweight world champion Tony Bellew after suffering a “freak accident”.
Bellew stopped compatriot Haye in the 11th round when they met in March and the sold-out rematch was scheduled for Dec. 17. It will now be postponed until March or May.
Haye said he had suffered a bicep injury after falling while working out on the stairs.
In the weeks leading up to the fight, there were rumors that Haye injured himself and was unable to fight. But Haye then squashed those injuries and said he was more than healthy enough to fight.
Haye claims the prior injury rumors are 100% unrelated to his bicep injury.
“I am devastated to announce my much-anticipated rematch against Tony Bellew has been postponed until March 24th or May 5th 2018, subject to scheduling,” said Haye.
Following the news another British fighter, former world heavyweight champion Tyson Fury, said he would relish the chance to fight Bellew. Fury is hoping to return to the ring next year once a UK Anti-Doping hearing has been concluded.
According to Bellew's promoter, Eddie Hearn, Haye was very upset over the withdrawal.
"He was distraught; I've not seen David like that before," Hearn told Sky Sports News.
"He's a guy who's very confident in himself and his ability, he loves the limelight, and he looked like a broken man. He wanted the fight badly. He hates pulling out of fights, and knows he has been injured in the past and let people down. He knows he's going to suffer the wrath of the fans again, but what can you do?
"He's a determined individual and to come back from the Achilles injury in the way he did was extremely impressive. I'm sure he will return from this injury as well."