Groves Eyes Activity, Anderson, Stieglitz-Abraham Winner

Undefeated British & Commonwealth Super-middleweight champion George ‘The Saint’ Groves is looking for a swift return to action as he waits for an Autumn showdown with mandatory challenger Kenny Anderson.

24 year-old Groves hasn't boxed since a two round demolition of Paul Smith back in November last year. The Saint was set to travel to Germany to fight for a world title in only his 15th professional contest, but injury ruled out him out of the fight and, having returned to full fitness, he's now raring to get back in the ring.

"I can confirm I haven't retired. I am still a boxer", Groves joked.

"At this moment in time, I still have the British title, and I have a mandatory which is Kenny Anderson. Frank Warren won the purse bid to promote that fight, and as such I'm waiting for him to put that fight on."

That fight was originally slated for June 30th but the bout has now been delayed, with purse bids not due until July 11th, after promoter Frank Warren could not find a suitable venue to stage the match. Groves is now keen to fight in the interim, rather than wait for the Anderson show to be put together.

"It feels like I have practically retired I have been out for so long, so I want to get some quality rounds in if I can soon", said Groves.

"I've spoken to my promoter Frank Warren and I understand with the football European Championships and then Olympics it has been difficult for them to get the venues and put shows together.

"Purse bids are not until July now and then it will take eight weeks to put on the Anderson show. But I've spoken to Frank about keeping busy. It's not practical to be out of the ring so long.

"I'm fit and ready so if it means an eight-rounder or even boxing in the States on a Golden Boy show I'm willing to do it. I could fight next week. Frank knows how desperate I am for that Anderson fight and knows I also want to box in the meantime."

And Groves still has his sights on the WBO crown, as he hopes victory over Anderson will set up a shot at the winner of the WBO world title clash between Germans Stieglitz and Arthur Abraham on August 25.

"It was bitterly disappointing [withdrawing from the Stieglitz fight]. I was out training in Cyprus, training very hard, in great shape. Ready to rock, and then injury struck me. It didn't really hit home until I got home, and Adam (Booth) said I'd been pulled out, and I realized Stieglitz was gonna fight someone else, and then I was bumped out of the picture completely. So obviously that was a real shame and a real bitter pill for me to swallow. But since then, I've tried not to let it get me down.

"I should imagine Anderson will be my next big title fight. Stieglitz now fights Arthur Abraham in August and hopefully I can fight the winner at the end of the year."

Tags: George Groves image  
User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Post a Comment - View More User Comments (0)
Top Headlines Hearn: Dillian Whyte-Lucas Browne Will Be An Absolute War! Whyte-Browne: Who Stays in the Mix? Trainer: Parker, Not Klitschko, Will Be Biggest Test for Joshua Hatton: Whyte-Browne is 50-50, But Lucas is a Murderous Puncher Nelson Explains How PED Issue Hurts Canelo - Win or Lose Daily Bread Mailbag: Canelo's Tests, Loma-Linares, Charlo-Jacobs Frank Warren: Hearn Will Face a Battle To Keep Anthony Joshua Joshua: I'm Leading The Pack, Brought Division Back To Life! Woodley: Mayweather's MMA Training Will Start Next Week Froch Gives Canelo The Edge To Beat Golovkin, He Explains Why Juan Carlos Payano, Reymart Gaballo Get Big Wins in Florida Making Sense Out Of The UFC Signing Anthony Joshua GGG's Promoter Praises NSAC For Taking Canelo Tests Seriously Video: Johnny Nelson Talks Canelo-Golovkin, Joshua-Wilder Video: Carl Froch Talks Canelo-Golovkin, PEDs, Joshua-Wilder Saunders: When I Face Golovkin or Canelo - You Will See My Best Golden Boy Reacts To Canelo Being Temporarily Suspended Canelo is 'Temporarily Suspended' By NSAC Due To Failed Tests Joshua: Losing Scares Me, Stays on Your Record For Eternity Crawford-Horn Rescheduled for June 9 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas Tyson Fury is Reportedly Closing a Deal With Frank Warren Abel Sanchez: After Vera, Soro Wants Castano Rematch Photos: Jose Martinez, Alejandro Santiago Ready For Battle in PR Badou Jack: I'm Coming To Beat Up Adonis Stevenson! Kody Davies Inks With Hayemaker Ringstar, Fights on Bellew-Haye Parker: Joshua Disrespected Press From New Zealand, Samoa Photos: Tyron Zeuge, Isaac Ekpo Ready For Rematch Clash Whyte: This is My Time To Shine, Browne is Good Name To Beat Saunders To Sanchez: Golovkin is My Backup Plan, I'm Not Yours! Parker: I Just Want To Get in There and Bash Anthony Joshua! Mikey Garcia to Keep IBF 140-Pound Title, Baranchyk Bout Ordered Michael Conlan Added To Lomachenko vs. Linares at MSG Photos: Joseph Parker Putting in Work For Anthony Joshua Clash Giyasov, Akhmadaliev, Ahmedov Back on April 21 Holyfield Card Photos: Buglioni-Johnson, Ritson-Cardle, Chisora - Weigh-In Photos: Dillian Whyte, Lucas Browne - Ready For War in London Trainer Expects Career Best Performance From Gervonta Davis Espinoza Explains Making Lara-Hurd Over Lara-Charlo, Hurd-Charlo Sanchez Not Worried if Canelo Falls Out, Saunders is Backup Frank Warren on Billy Joe Saunders' Injury, Frampton-Donaire

Latest Active Forum Threads