By Steve Kim
There were some mixed messages sent out last week after it was erroneously reported that the rematch between IBF, IBO, WBA, WBC middleweight champion, Gennady Golovkin (37-0-1, 33 KOs) and Mexican superstar Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez (49-1-2, 34 KOs) had been finalized for May 5th.
But as of now, a deal has not been consummated.
Golovkin and Canelo went to a twelve round split draw last September at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. The contest was a big financial hit on HBO Pay-Per-View, with over 1 million pay-per-view purchases, according to the promoters.
Tom Loeffler of GGG Promotions told BoxingScene.com on Tuesday - "I did an interview last week and I said its, '90-percent done' but till it's 100-percent done, that last 10-percent can derail the negotiations. Gennady is in Kazakhstan right now and we have to wait till he gets back to finalize the terms.
"If (Gennady) agrees to everything then I don't expect it long after that. I mean, we've been negotiating, we could've had the fight done a week after the first fight but we've been negotiating now for almost four months. We're at the point now where if one side doesn't agree then there's something wrong."
As part of the negotiation for the rematch, Golovkin's side tabled discussions for any other fight beforehand.
Golden Boy Promotions President Eric Gomez, who represents Canelo, believes the contest will get finalized.
The hope is that the rematch can be finalized and announced before the end of January.
"I've never given a deadline that seems to be a reasonable time frame, if it's not announced by the end of January then there's some issues," stated Loeffler.
If a deal is not reached, for whatever reason, WBO middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders is keeping a close eye on the situation, as he wants to face either boxer.
Steve Kim is the news editor for BoxingScene.com.