According to Tom Loeffler, promoter for IBF, IBO, WBA, WBC middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs), there is no hard deadline for a deal to get reached with Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez (49-1-1, 34 KOs), but eventually they would have to consider "other options" if the discussions drag out too long or it appears that Canelo is not really interested in the fight.

Canelo challenged Golovkin back in September at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. The contest ended in a controversial twelve round split draw.

The discussions are ongoing to make a rematch for next May, with Las Vegas once again as the frontrunner to get the fight.

Loeffler is holding regular discussions with Golden Boy Promotions, who handle Alvarez, in the hope that a deal is made sooner than later.

"There's no hard deadline, but at some point we have to confirm other options if it looks like Canelo doesn't want to get in the ring with GGG again," Loeffler told Sky Sports.

"The Canelo rematch is the biggest fight in the sport of boxing and the priority for GGG. I'm in regular contact with Golden Boy to see if we can make the fight that the fans are demanding to see."

At the same time, Loeffler is not going to place Golovkin's career on hold. Golovkin only fought twice in 2017 and 2016, and he wasn't happy about that - as he likes to fight at least three to four times a year.

"We can't put Gennady's career on hold but [a rematch] is the priority. Gennady wants a rematch because this left an unsatisfied taste. Canelo said he won't fight until May but we have to see if he wants a rematch," Loeffler said.

As BoxingScene.com had previously reported, De La Hoya may also take a look at the winner of next month's WBO middleweight world title Billy Joe Saunders and David Lemieux, which is booked for December 16 in Canada.