by David P. Greisman
Frankie Gomez could’ve had a huge spotlight on HBO on Saturday night. Now not only has his fight with Humberto Soto been canceled, but his promoter is incredibly upset at how that occurred.
Gomez-Soto was to be the televised co-feature underneath Canelo Alvarez vs. James Kirkland. That broadcast was to bed led off with the replay of last week’s Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao fight, meaning even more people could be watching Gomez-Soto when the live show began.
Except Gomez got sick two weeks ago, didn’t tell Golden Boy Promotions until earlier this week, had the weight limit raised from 141 to 145 pounds, and still came in at 147.5, unable to drop down any further.
Eric Gomez, the vice president and head matchmaker for Golden Boy Promotions, said he was “very disgusted” and “upset” with Frankie Gomez.
“This spot, this position in-between these two fights was a golden ticket,” Eric Gomez said. “We could’ve put any fighter we wanted. If we would’ve known two weeks ago that he was sick and not responsive, that he was really heavy and wasn’t going to make weight, we would’ve considered maybe doing something else. We’ve got a lot of young prospects. … We have at least 20 other fighters that would’ve killed to be in that spot.”
This isn’t the first time Frankie Gomez has done something disappointing. While undefeated at 18-0 with 13 KOs, the product of East Los Angeles — also where Golden Boy’s Oscar De La Hoya is from — faced a pair of criminal cases in early 2012.
“The kid’s very talented. We’re going to have to sit down with his team and decide what we want to do,” Eric Gomez said. “Oscar’s upset, obviously.”