By Steve Kim
At a media day last week at Legendz Boxing in Norwalk, California, junior lightweight prospect Ryan Garcia (who fights on ESPN2 this Thursday night from the Fantasy Springs Casino in Indio, California) stated that he would like to face former junior lightweight belt-holder Gervonta Davis.
Which is certainly bold and audacious but it brought about a reaction from fellow 130-pounder, Saul 'Neno' Rodriguez (21-0-1, 15 KO's) who then called out Garcia on social media.
Robert Diaz, the matchmaker for Golden Boy Promotions, is amused by all this.
"I love it, I love it because you know what? That means Ryan and Golden Boy together are doing something right. When a fighter that has more fights, when a fighter who has been pro longer, when a fighter that should be calling out the world champions is calling out Ryan Garcia, hey, that means we're doing something right - and so is Ryan," said Diaz to BoxingScene.com, while at the Golden Boy card at the Belasco Theater in downtown Los Angeles.
So would he actually make that fight if possible?
"Well, look at the rankings, Ryan has cracked the top 15 in the world and I'm not saying that in an arrogant way. I'm saying it because I'm proud and we're looking forward right now," said Diaz, of the 19-year old Garcia, who has a record of 13-0 (12 KO's).
"With all due respect to 'Neno', he's a terrific young fighter but he hasn't been active. I don't even know he was still fighting or when he's fighting next. And that's the sad part."
Rodriguez, who after beginning his career under Top Rank signed with Mayweather Promotions, has not fought since edging out Oscar Bravo in a ten round split decision last February. He has been idle since.
"Right now,'' continued Diaz, "in Ryan's case I want to get a former world champion, I want to get somebody who has at least competed for the world title or I want to get somebody who's coming off a good win."
Steve Kim is the news editor for BoxingScene.com