Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

George's Manager Vows To Sue Over Ekundayo-Corcoran Bout

IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE BIGGEST FIGHT OF HIS LIFE AND THE MOST LUCRATIVE but instead Toowoomba's Commonwealth Champion Kris George has been forced to start again. George was due to meet England based Nigerian Larry Ekundayo in London on July 8 on a card promoted by Frank Warren.

Warren, one of the UK's biggest promoters and renowned across the World won the purse bid to host the mandatory title defence between champion George and mandatory challenger Larry Ekundayo.

However last week George's Manager Brendon Smith received the shock news the fight was cancelled and instead Ekundayo will face Gary Corcoran for the WBO Intercontinental title.

kris-george

"To say we're disappointed is an understatement," Brendon Smith said. "We are pursuing legal action so I can't say to much however we are extremely disappointed with what's happened.

"Kris has a signed contract to face Larry Ekundayo and there is no reason he shouldn't be.

"What has occurred is simply unjust. We are strongly pursuing our options and I can't understand how the Commonwealth Boxing Commission and British Board of Control can allow this to happen. We're very very disappointed."

The sudden cancellation is a costly one for George.

"I've honoured my commitment to the Commonwealth Boxing Commission, the British Board of Control and the promoter who won the purse bid - I deserve to be shown the same honour," Kris George said.

"I've been contracted to defend my Commonwealth title on July 8 and should be in one corner in London next month - but the reality is - I won't be.

"And why won't I be? That's the disappointing part I've done everything I'm supposed to.

"I've taken time out of my business to train, I've sacrificed time with my family, my training team has sacrificed to help get me ready, my manager has sacrificed to make this opportunity happen and for it to be taken away the way it has is very disappointing.

"It's really left me in limbo. "I really hope there can be an outcome here because I don't want to see this happen to any other fighter.

"I'm a fighter, this is my job and this cancellation has a significant impact on my career. It's not right. It was going to be a tough fight to win I knew that but to essentially be knocked out before I even get on the plane is hard to swallow."

Despite the setback George is remaining positive.

"I'm still the Commonwealth Champion and take pride in the belt," George said. "Moving forward we need to assess what the best option is for me. This has been a setback but I know I can overcome it. I just want to fight."

Manager Brendon Smith added.

"The call is out there, who wants to fight Kris George. We are open to all offers. Kris George is hot property at the moment. Domestically Jack Brubaker is an option, Jeff Horn pending on the outcome of the Pacquaio fight and many others across the Commonwealth and the World.

"All options are back on the table, we'll discuss and find the best path forward for Kris."

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by kushking on 06-20-2017

Has anyone ever seen a full Weasel Warren card go without corruption on some level? His Fights are riddled with shoddy refereeing & judges with their scorecard filled out beforehand,when not the main event its the undercard.

Comment by Ray* on 06-20-2017

Wait for Warren to some how place the blame on the other party. If this had happened to Warren he would be on all the papers pointing fingers with threats.

Comment by Mick Higgs on 06-20-2017

This is typical of Frank Warren's corrupt dealings with the WBO!

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (3)
Top Headlines Berchelt vs. Roman in Talks For October Date on HBO Lomachenko's Manager Gives Update on Rehabilitation, Return Hearn: Wilder Has To Ask - 'Do I Really Believe I Can Beat Joshua?' Eduardo Hernandez Targets Francisco Vargas Eliminator Arum Will Speak With Pacquiao About Crawford, Lomachenko Usyk, Gassiev Arrive in Moscow - Ready For WBSS Final Nelson: Povetkin is a Serious, Serious Threat For Anthony Joshua Floyd Mayweather Tops Forbes Richest Celebrities List Hearn: Povetkin Extremely Dangerous, AJ Will Make a Statement Fabian Maidana vs. Andrey Klimov Lands on Garcia-Easter News: Mykquan Williams, Roney Hines, Frank Galarza, More Carl Frampton vs. Luke Jackson - Undercard Update - 2 Team Lomachenko: Pacquiao Must Go To 135 - No Catch-Weight! Manny Pacquiao: I Still Have Two or Three Fights Left in Me Photos: Manny Pacquiao Arrives Home To a Hero's Welcome Andrew Moloney vs. Luis Concepcion on September 8 Joshua-Povetkin Officially Announced; 9/22 at Wembley Stadium Trainer: I Guarantee Mikey Garcia Will Regret Facing Easter! Pacquiao 'Thinking About' Working With Freddie Roach Again Pacquiao: Khan, Crawford, Lomachenko All Potential Opponents Callum Johnson Warns: Beterbiev Will Know He's Been in a Fight! Liam Smith Confident of Shocking Jaime Munguia, Explains Why British and English Title News: Askin vs. Okolie Sent To Bids Pacquiao Wants Next Fight In U.S.; Arum Says Tax Debt Not $20M Horn's Promoter: Pacquiao's Win Proves He's Not Past It! Pacquiao: If Mayweather Comes Back - Let's Do a Second One! Pacquiao's Win Over Matthysse A Blessing And A Curse Atlas: Pacquiao Beat a Heavy Bag; Diminished Matthysse Quit! Pacquiao: Matthysse Was Hurt From The Punches, Looked Scared Pacquiao Says Buboy Warned Him To Avoid 'Marquez' Mistakes Jose Pedraza Expects a Very Tough Outing With Ray Beltran Manny Pacquiao: Do I Look Old? I'm Back! Lucas Matthysse is Not Sure About The Future of His Career Usyk: I Have No Fear of Fighting Murat Gassiev in Russia Jeff Horn Calls Out Manny Pacquiao For a Rematch Pacquiao: From Round 1, I Knew He Couldn't Handle My Power! Brandon Cook: Brook Fight is Off, Brook Has Ankle Injury Pacquiao Gives High Praise To Buboy as New Head Trainer RBF Exec: We Secured QF/SF Fights For The WBSS Season 2 Pacquiao: Like I Said - I'm Not Gone From Boxing, I'm Still Here!
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement