Carl Froch insists it is not his job as "last man standing" to come to the rescue of British boxing when he takes on Andre Ward this Saturday.
The last month has brought several major disappointments for some of Froch's domestic peers, not least Amir Khan who lost his WBA and IBF light-welterweight titles to Lamont Peterson last weekend.
Earlier in December, meanwhile, John Murray lost badly in his WBA lightweight challenge against Brandon Rios while Martin Murray was held to a draw by WBA middleweight champion Felix Sturm.
Froch puts his WBC super-middleweight title on the line against WBA champion Ward in Atlantic City in the final of the Super Six tournament this weekend and admits it has been a tough time for his countrymen at the top level.
"There tends to be a little bit of an emphasis and pressure on me restoring the pride in British boxing but that's all part and parcel of it," Froch said on Thursday.
"I'm the last man standing in this tournament and I suppose I'm the last man standing this year in terms of fighting overseas."
But the 34-year-old Nottingham fighter has maintained he feels no responsibility to give the sport in his country an end-of-year boost.
"It hasn't been a good month for British boxing so far," he said. "So there's a chance for me to end the year on a high for British boxing. All these fighters have been beaten and lost their titles and they've come away and lost and so everybody is looking towards Carl Froch doing the business.
"The difference is that Carl Froch fights at an elite level time after time after time. At the top level, world championship. Not top 10 or top 20 but top three or four.
"Between myself and Andre Ward we're the 168lb kings. We're the best fighters in the division bar none. We're the two best in the world.
"But I'm not looking at what everyone else has done wrong and how they've all lost or thinking I can steal the limelight because of what Murray's done or what Amir Khan did at the weekend.
"I'm just concentrating on what I'm doing. None of that matters to me.
"It's a shame for British boxing that all these other fighters have lost but it's an individual sport.
"I just think about myself and getting myself 100% prepared without focusing on everyone else."
He added: "Of course there's a chance for me to now become the biggest thing in British boxing but in all honesty I've been at world level for the last two or three years, in my mind, and I'm a top fighter, producing the goods at elite level anyway.
"So I'm not really clinging onto anybody's misfortune over the last month thinking 'this is a good chance to do something now' because I'm at the top of my game anyway.
"What I've achieved and been doing for the last two or three years is phenomenal. Since beating Jean Pascal to first win the WBC title I'm at the top of my game and anybody who knows anything about boxing puts me up there with the best in the world anyway, regardless of what anyone else is doing.
"It just doesn't matter."
Ward, meanwhile, admitted that he has cut a surly figure this week. "I'm always like this," he said. "It's two or three days from a big fight.
"But people will throw things out there like 'he's a nice guy' - which I am - 'he's a family man' - which I am - and they'll get caught up in some of the press that they read instead of really looking at me for who I am.
"I'm a warrior. But people only give you the warrior tag if you get cut every other fight or if you're a fight-of-the-year candidate in every other fight.
"I'm a warrior, man, and I'm coming to win something and take something."