COPENHAGEN, Denmark -- As previously reported on BoxingScene.com, former super middleweight champion Mikkel Kessler is making a comeback.
The 38-year-old Dane, known as the "Viking Warrior," said Friday he hopes to get a fight against a "good guy."
Promoter Kalle Sauerland said no fights or events have been lined up for Kessler at the moment.
With a 46-3-0 record, Kessler has held the WBA title three times and the WBC title twice. His last bout was May 25, 2013, when he lost to Carl Froch in an IBF/WBA super middleweight title unification.
Froch admits that Kessler's surprise return has made him consider the idea of a trilogy fight. Froch retired back in 2015, and his last fight took place in 2014 when he knocked out George Groves in their rematch.
If Kessler intends to compete at the light heavyweight limit, Froch hints that he might consider the idea of coming back.
"It is 1-1 of course and if anything is going to get me going again - it is a decider with Mikkel Kessler. He said he'd have it on an island, but of course I am retired... for now," Froch told Sky Sports.
"There was a few things flying around Twitter after people saw me sparring up in Sheffield yesterday, so it was not a huge surprise when this came out. And as I've always said and will say again, I would rather see fighters keep away - especially after almost four years away - but looking at it, Kessler might be the best super-middleweight to do it."
"Not wanting to disrespect the current super-middleweight division, he would make things extremely difficult for any of them, James DeGale, Callum Smith and George Groves included. I am like any other retired fighter, I think the current division is not as good as it was when me and Kessler were in our prime. Kessler's coming back at 168lbs though. Now if he were to do it at light-heavyweight, maybe I would accommodate him. Who knows? Even I don't at the moment."