By Chris McKenna, courtesy of The Daily Star
FRANKIE GAVIN insists his career is not over and wants a rematch with Birmingham rival Sam Eggington.
The former amateur star hit another low when he was stopped by Eggington in the eighth round of a thrilling contest yesterday.
Gavin, 31, has now lost three of his 26 professional bouts and looked out of condition after coming in overweight for the welterweight bout.
But he wants to fight on and will look for a rematch with Eggington.
He said: “I didn't realise how big he was. Great credit to Sam, we were friends before the fight and you get dislike for someone who wants to punch your head off, but were friends again.
“It was a good fight. I showed I can have a fight. I want to do it again.”
Eight years on from failing to make the weight at the Olympic Games in Beijing, Gavin was told by the British Boxing Board of Control he could not be below 10st 9lb for safety reasons as he had been too heavy at check weigh-ins.
It was a bad start for a fighter that should be naturally at light-welterweight and Gavin was putting what was left of his reputation on the line against a game opponent.
Gavin, 2007 world amateur champion, was levels above Eggington technically and showed some of his best moments as a pro despite defeat.
But he was put down by a straight right early on, then given a count in the sixth after it was adjudged the ropes kept him up and then stopped in the eighth after another barrage of shots.
Gavin wants a rematch but he could not hurt Eggington despite landing clean shots and a move to light-welterweight if he wants to save his career would be a better option.
Birmingham fighter Kal Yafai will face WBA super-flyweight champion Luis Concepcion at Manchester Arena on December 10.