icon Updated at 02:02 AM EDT, Fri Sep 7, 2012

Frank Warren To Appeal Board's Decision on Tony Bellew

By Terence Dooley

Although both fighters have now successfully weighed in, there was a hint of potential late drama ahead of Tony Bellew’s Saturday night meeting with former middleweight world title challenger Edison Miranda at London’s Alexandra Palace — an International non-title attraction that is being promoted by Matchroom and will be shown live on Sky Sports. 

Word reached BoxingScene in the early hours of Friday that the BBBoC, who ruled that Bellew had adequate grounds to determine his contract with former manager Frank Warren after a hearing in early August, were on the cusp of taking action against the Liverpool fighter due to an outstanding sum of money still owed to his former manager.  This action could have resulted in a suspension, in the worst-case scenario, for the fighter known as “Bomber”.   

The money, an outstanding management commission that was charged to Bellew when the Board ruled that the 29-year-old could determine his managerial contract as of May 21, was supposed to be paid to Warren by September 5.

BoxingScene’s sources proved to correct, the outstanding management fee had yet to be paid when the news reached us in the early hours, but the British light-heavyweight titlist’s lawyer has confirmed via the Board’s General Secretary Robert Smith that, although the money is still owed to Warren, the three-time ABA heavyweight title winner is not at risk of losing his license and that the sum will be placed in escrow after this weekend’s contest as Warren has decided to appeal the Board’s original decision. 

Warren, though, today told me that the money had been paid to him, has not been placed in escrow and was owed to him by his former charge.  “Tony paid the money that he owes me into the Board today,” said Warren during a phone call on Friday evening.  “The escrow stuff is nonsense — that money was owed to me and has been paid to the BBBoC.”

This appeal is due to take place on 19th of this month before the Board’s stewards and should they underline their original decision the money — 25% of Bellew’s purse from his April 27 meeting with Danny McIntosh — will be paid to the veteran fight figure as per their ruling. 

It means that Bellew, 17-1 (11), can fully focus on Miranda, 35-7 (30), who has come to the U.K. with plenty of determination as he eyes a final tilt at a world title up at 175, or even down at 168lbs after pledging to beat Bellew before throwing down the gauntlet to current IBF super middleweight champion Carl “The Cobra” Froch.

Please send news and views to [email protected] or Twitter @Terryboxing.