Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 11-03-2006, 04:35 PM #1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mr. Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Ryan has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 27,436.00
20,000 posts!  Well done. - abosworth good shit, folks. You folks with Ouma, then you my folks. Congrats Asain. Keep on doing what you do, bud. - sweet pea 50 boxingscene's Top Ten Serious Poster - mickey gomez Give me 10k, PLEASE! - ЯiZO Congrats on your nomination bro.  Great job. - MELLY-MEL... 
Only for you.. - MassageQueen just for being you ;) - Massage Queen One Of Boxingscene finest... Hmm i almost forgot hook me some of your good K mate... Hehehe Thanks advance FROM: - FasTHarD Just because you're the shit!! - Massage Queen Once again, thanks for what you did for me. And keep up the good work. - The_Bringer 
Thanks for sharing your boxing knowledge. - Talisayen this one is for your website. btw, i signed your guestbook. good job pre :fing02: - Talisayen For all your great work! - jazluvr For your accomplishments! - jazluvr beer after job well done - led 
congrats!!! - TBear seen your article in Ring! - TBear Merry Christmas Ryan - TBear good to see you back - TBear 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jazluvr Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - jazluvr Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - TBear 
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Ryan Send a message via MSN to Mr. Ryan Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Ryan
Default The Official Floyd Patterson Thread

Floyd Patterson is one of the most compelling stories in boxing, a sport in which us writers are drawn to the human element of the game, and Patterson provided that in abundance.

He once criticised himself as a "coward", but anyone who was able to get up as many times as he did had a ton of balls. After losing a dubious decision to Joey Maxim for the 175 title, he moved up in 1956 and KO'ed Archie Moore to become the youngest heavyweight champion ever at 21. He lost it to the aloof Ingemar Johansen, getting bounced off the canvas 7 times in 3 rounds before the ref stopped the action. He returned in brutal fashion, destroying the Swede in the return to become the first champion to regain the title. After a scintillating rubber match in which he prevailed, he met his master in Sonny Liston, who stopped him twice in a total of 5 minutes to lose the title.

Patterson came back with one of his most entertaining performances, besting George Chuvalo over 15 to earn a crazk at the new champ, Muhammad Ali. Patterson took the stance that he was America's Hope to rid the heavyweight division of an anti-American muslim who had betrayed his friend Malcolm X and was with the Nation of Islam, who he felt were the equivalent of shaking hands with the KKK. Patterson was an integrationist, a poster boy for the NAACP. Ali ruthlessly branded him the great white hope, a white man's favorite and a "good negro".

Ali wooped the man, ending the bout in 12 brutal rounds. After Ali went into exile in '67, Patterson dropped a decision to Jimmy Ellis in the WBA Heavyweight tournament and never was a serious contender again.

In his later years, Patterson presided as the commissioner of the NY State Boxing Commission, before an appearance in front of the grand jury determined that he had suffered severe memory impairment and stepped down. The Bedford Stuyvesant native died last year, a hero who proved that even the greats shed tears.
Mr. Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 11-04-2006, 01:00 PM #2
The HW Sugar Ray!

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
butterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,000.00
Total Points: 19,035.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asian Sensation View Post
Floyd Patterson is one of the most compelling stories in boxing, a sport in which us writers are drawn to the human element of the game, and Patterson provided that in abundance.

He once criticised himself as a "coward", but anyone who was able to get up as many times as he did had a ton of balls. After losing a dubious decision to Joey Maxim for the 175 title, he moved up in 1956 and KO'ed Archie Moore to become the youngest heavyweight champion ever at 21. He lost it to the aloof Ingemar Johansen, getting bounced off the canvas 7 times in 3 rounds before the ref stopped the action. He returned in brutal fashion, destroying the Swede in the return to become the first champion to regain the title. After a scintillating rubber match in which he prevailed, he met his master in Sonny Liston, who stopped him twice in a total of 5 minutes to lose the title.

Patterson came back with one of his most entertaining performances, besting George Chuvalo over 15 to earn a crazk at the new champ, Muhammad Ali. Patterson took the stance that he was America's Hope to rid the heavyweight division of an anti-American muslim who had betrayed his friend Malcolm X and was with the Nation of Islam, who he felt were the equivalent of shaking hands with the KKK. Patterson was an integrationist, a poster boy for the NAACP. Ali ruthlessly branded him the great white hope, a white man's favorite and a "good negro".

Ali wooped the man, ending the bout in 12 brutal rounds. After Ali went into exile in '67, Patterson dropped a decision to Jimmy Ellis in the WBA Heavyweight tournament and never was a serious contender again.

In his later years, Patterson presided as the commissioner of the NY State Boxing Commission, before an appearance in front of the grand jury determined that he had suffered severe memory impairment and stepped down. The Bedford Stuyvesant native died last year, a hero who proved that even the greats shed tears.
There are some inconsistencies here. Floyd didn't fight maxim for the lightheavyweight title, Moore already was champion then. The chuvalo figth was 12 rounds, not 15. Other than that, pretty good post.
butterfly1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 03:46 PM #3

Mr. Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Ryan has a reputation beyond repute
20,000 posts!  Well done. - abosworth good shit, folks. You folks with Ouma, then you my folks. Congrats Asain. Keep on doing what you do, bud. - sweet pea 50 boxingscene's Top Ten Serious Poster - mickey gomez Give me 10k, PLEASE! - ЯiZO Congrats on your nomination bro.  Great job. - MELLY-MEL... 
Only for you.. - MassageQueen just for being you ;) - Massage Queen One Of Boxingscene finest... Hmm i almost forgot hook me some of your good K mate... Hehehe Thanks advance FROM: - FasTHarD Just because you're the shit!! - Massage Queen Once again, thanks for what you did for me. And keep up the good work. - The_Bringer 
Thanks for sharing your boxing knowledge. - Talisayen this one is for your website. btw, i signed your guestbook. good job pre :fing02: - Talisayen For all your great work! - jazluvr For your accomplishments! - jazluvr beer after job well done - led 
congrats!!! - TBear seen your article in Ring! - TBear Merry Christmas Ryan - TBear good to see you back - TBear 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jazluvr Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - jazluvr Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - TBear 
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Ryan Send a message via MSN to Mr. Ryan Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly1964 View Post
There are some inconsistencies here. Floyd didn't fight maxim for the lightheavyweight title, Moore already was champion then. The chuvalo figth was 12 rounds, not 15. Other than that, pretty good post.
I stand corrected, thanks. The Maxim fight was only 8 rounds. Patterson was not yet 20 so couldn't legally go 10 rounds yet.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:28 PM #4

Patterson was too small as a heavyweight, he weighed only 182 for the Ingemar Johanson first fight.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:08 PM #5
Up and Comer

dempsey1919 is a jewel in the roughdempsey1919 is a jewel in the roughdempsey1919 is a jewel in the roughdempsey1919 is a jewel in the rough
Bank: 1,000.00
Total Points: 6,061.00

Patterson is one of the best fighter in HW history the youngest Lineal HW champ the first to win the title back after losing it to Johanson and as he said once they say I was the camp that got KD the most but I was also the champ that got up the most.
dempsey1919 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

User Tag List