Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do we celebrate "two time, three time etc champ" thing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do we celebrate "two time, three time etc champ" thing?

I don't understand when I see boxers saying theyre a 5 time champ, that means they lost the belt 5 times and regained it.. thats not something to be bragging about. Am I missing something?

Originally posted by Anderson Silva View Post
    I don't understand when I see boxers saying theyre a 5 time champ, that means they lost the belt 5 times and regained it.. thats not something to be bragging about. Am I missing something?
    Coming back from adversity in an admirable human trait.

Nothing wrong with it at all.

Comment

Not true..Floyd never lost and is a 12 time champ

Comment

Magic Johnson is a 5 time NBA champion. He lost in the Finals 4 times. Should he not brag about his 5 rings ... I'm confused.

Comment

I understand the point you're making, but you're seeing it from a perspective of the unbeaten is everything sense. It must be hard to take a loss as a champion, then to come back and regain your belt has to be admired. Many fighters in history have lost their belt and never won it back. Plus, people need to realise, when the best fight the best, somebody has to lose (excepting occasional draws) So the more top match-ups we have in boxing, the more losses the top guys will have. What makes boxers world class is getting wins over other world class fighters, even if you're losing many to other fighters in that category as well. Not being 20-0 knocking over 20 cans.

Comment

Coming back to do it again after losing is a great thing

Comment

The classic reference is one division, and being a champ again, particularly with 4 orgs, doesn’t even mean you lost. Could’ve vacated, stripped, gone up or down and then returned, unify, go from org A to C, retired, came back.

Comment

I dunno, seem braggable to win the highest awards repeatedly to me.

Comment

I always wondered about that as well, unless it's different divisions.

An interviewer once called Floyd a former two-time welter champ. To which Floyd responded, "I ain't a former anything, I'm THE welter champ." I liked that answer a lot.

Comment

Technically, as boxing has a new tradition to acknowledge four sanctioning bodies, but if you win a Championship and then Unify another belt, you would be a 2 time Champion. Winning another strap in unification is unique since you’re not defending a belt you don’t have until you win it. So that deserves another hardship merit in being a Champion from another organization with a protocol ranking. When all orgs acknowledge an Undisputed Championship it would ideally be the old days of just one Champion... for the moment.

Comment

Working...
                    X