Forum Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Non Boxing Talk > Boxing Scene Lounge

Old 10-09-2019, 02:28 PM #1
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 8646 Post(s)
GhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond reputeGhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond reputeGhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond reputeGhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond reputeGhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond reputeGhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond reputeGhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond reputeGhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond reputeGhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond reputeGhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond reputeGhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,410.78
Total Points: 251,383.95
Top Rated Poster - ironmt Here Is to another great post - ironmt For calling it like it is - 1bad65 Great comment, sir. - Tony Trick-Pony Great points, man - Tony Trick-Pony 
:lol1: - Szef Well said, man - Tony Trick-Pony 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - desktop 0 Gay and Lesbian Pride - desktop 0 Gay and Lesbian Pride - desktop 0 Gay and Lesbian Pride - desktop 0 Gay and Lesbian Pride - desktop 0 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - desktop 0 Gay and Lesbian Pride - desktop 0 
Default China warns brands to accept communism, freedom of speech ‘ridiculous’

China owns our big league sports teams and large corporations. NBA has to bow down to China in order to continue tapping into that market of 1.5 billion Chinese. Nike and other brands control sports now. Not the leagues.

The Chinese government newspaper Global Times warned “global brands” to “make their members speak cautiously” on Chinese political issues Monday in response to an ongoing controversy following an NBA executive lending support to pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong.

Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey triggered a Communist Party-fabricated firestorm this weekend by simply tweeting “fight for freedom; stand with Hong Kong,” a message intended to lend support to the peaceful anti-communist movement that has held regular protests there since June.

Following condemnation from the Communist Party and its puppets in Chinese society, social media, and the NBA, the NBA itself issued a statement also condemning Morey for simply challenging the dogma of a country currently maintaining a million-strong concentration camp population. The NBA has established a training camp in the same province as the concentration camps.

The Global Times did not always oppose corporations getting into politics. Last year, it applauded the athletics company Nike for hiring communist former football player Colin Kaepernick as a spokesperson on the heels of his remarks about race in America, which echo the Communist Party’s criticisms of the United States.

“Companies often shy away from politics, but in the commoditized sneaker trade, it’s a risk worth taking,” the Global Times claimed then, predicting, “there will be more like Nike.”

[Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]
GhostofDempsey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:52 PM #2
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Ivansmamma has a reputation beyond reputeIvansmamma has a reputation beyond reputeIvansmamma has a reputation beyond reputeIvansmamma has a reputation beyond reputeIvansmamma has a reputation beyond reputeIvansmamma has a reputation beyond reputeIvansmamma has a reputation beyond reputeIvansmamma has a reputation beyond reputeIvansmamma has a reputation beyond reputeIvansmamma has a reputation beyond reputeIvansmamma has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,196.68
Total Points: 12,967.12
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Breakbeat 

Its same as when coca cola wanted to put their logo on side of german tanks in the 40s because they would get exposure all over europe.
Ivansmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:21 PM #3
Patriot

Quoted: 8545 Post(s)
BrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 38,369.34
Total Points: 95,598.60
HBD - siablo14 brogrammers code! - BoxingFan85 No Message - Snoop Frog For implementing and managing the pick 'em game - siablo14 good job on nsb pick em - jas 
Outta that green paint. Have a beer on me ! - BERNIE'S CORNER Thanks man. Had to put an = sign in with the poster's number but it worked.  Ha. - anthonydavid11 Here. It's a cookie. Looks like chocolate chip. - Mike D So you don't have to share with your mom any more. You pu55y a55 nerd. Shove your red k up that biatches a55 too. - apples check it out, it's a fish - Mike D 
Dildo of heterosexual tranny footjobs. - P.K Dionysus Outta green paint....So go ahead and throw on this cape ! - BERNIE'S CORNER Outta green paint.... - BERNIE'S CORNER No Message - MDPopescu 15,000 Good Job. - Vegemil 
No Message - BERNIE'S CORNER Some fruit for a fruit - The Hammer lol - -jose- Cheers mate - Chrismart I guess I don’t green often enough unless it’s green’n Bob lol. - BERNIE'S CORNER 
Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Just Now Hit Me Gay and Lesbian Pride - Just Now Hit Me Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Just Now Hit Me Gay and Lesbian Pride - Just Now Hit Me Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Just Now Hit Me 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - PlasterWraps Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - punchr Gay and Lesbian Pride - boxz Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - jas 

I think the article is unfair to Silver

Quote:
NBA Commissioner Adam Silver attempted to walk back condemnation of Morey following outrage from Americans shocked that an American sports league would censor free political speech, particularly one that has spent years fostering political debate among its athletes and stars.
A bit of an understatement. He said the NBA stands behind Morey and is prepared to deal with the consequences that come with that. "But if those are the consequences of us adhering to our values, I still feel it's very, very important to adhere to those values." I don't think he's intending to bend to China's will at all. At least not yet.

I also don't find their characterization of China's statements to be all that accurate either. Here are some quotes I found in other sources.

Quote:
"We believe that any remarks that challenge national sovereignty and social stability are not within the scope of freedom of speech."
Quote:
US elites advocate for freedom of speech but only allow the freedom of supporting Hong Kong protesters while opposing freedom of the NBA to issue a mild apology to the Chinese public.
I can't find anything in the Chinese papers referenced in the article that suggest China finds freedom of speech itself to be "ridiculous", as the title suggests. Of course I don't agree with what China has said even still, but it doesn't feel as extreme as this article wants me to believe.
BrometheusBob. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:30 PM #4
Metal Elitist

Quoted: 1381 Post(s)
Mighty_Windir has a reputation beyond reputeMighty_Windir has a reputation beyond reputeMighty_Windir has a reputation beyond reputeMighty_Windir has a reputation beyond reputeMighty_Windir has a reputation beyond reputeMighty_Windir has a reputation beyond reputeMighty_Windir has a reputation beyond reputeMighty_Windir has a reputation beyond reputeMighty_Windir has a reputation beyond reputeMighty_Windir has a reputation beyond reputeMighty_Windir has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 225.97
Total Points: 98,079.94
the most knowledgeable metal fan ever!!! - sweetpea87 Amorrrrrrrrrrrrr <3 - Bossy welcome bro, and nice to see another FF6 fan - Ruthless One Metalhead!!!:headbang::headbang: - -KULT- Merry Christmas Mighty_Windir - TBear 
mistery solved, thanks man - Dean_Razorback 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - codey 

Image View Removed. Please Click Here.

I've bought millions of stuff from China...will it make a difference if I stop now?

Maybe not, but I will do everything I can to avoid them from now on
Mighty_Windir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:37 PM #5
Undisputed Champion

GhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond reputeGhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond reputeGhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond reputeGhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond reputeGhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond reputeGhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond reputeGhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond reputeGhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond reputeGhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond reputeGhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond reputeGhostofDempsey has a reputation beyond repute
Top Rated Poster - ironmt Here Is to another great post - ironmt For calling it like it is - 1bad65 Great comment, sir. - Tony Trick-Pony Great points, man - Tony Trick-Pony 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - desktop 0 Gay and Lesbian Pride - desktop 0 Gay and Lesbian Pride - desktop 0 Gay and Lesbian Pride - desktop 0 Gay and Lesbian Pride - desktop 0 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
I think the article is unfair to Silver

A bit of an understatement. He said the NBA stands behind Morey and is prepared to deal with the consequences that come with that. "But if those are the consequences of us adhering to our values, I still feel it's very, very important to adhere to those values." I don't think he's intending to bend to China's will at all. At least not yet.

I also don't find their characterization of China's statements to be all that accurate either. Here are some quotes I found in other sources.

I can't find anything in the Chinese papers referenced in the article that suggest China finds freedom of speech itself to be "ridiculous", as the title suggests. Of course I don't agree with what China has said even still, but it doesn't feel as extreme as this article wants me to believe.
For one thing, the NBA apology to China was not "mild", it was a full blown get-on-your-knees pandering and begging of forgiveness. There is too much money at stake for the NBA to risk pissing off the Chinese government. Without the support of Chinese fans, and the factories in China that make products for the NBA's sponsors (Nike), the NBA will lose tremendous revenue.

"We recognize that the views expressed by Houston Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey have deeply offended many of our friends and fans in China, which is regrettable. While Daryl has made it clear that his tweet does not represent the Rockets or the NBA, the values of the league support individuals’ education themselves and sharing their views on matters important to them. We have great respect for the history and culture of China and hope that sports and the NBA can be used as a unifying force to bridge cultural divides and bring people together."

Apparently, to Silver, one way to “support” someone’s freedom of expression is to publicly announce that what they’ve just said is “regrettable".

Harden, one of the Rockets' star players, also offered an apology.

"We apologize. You know, we love China. We love playing there," Harden said at a press conference before a game in Kyoto, according to ESPN.

The league further stoked controversy with a Mandarin-language translation of its statement that condemned Morey's tweet as “inappropriate” and used other stronger terms. In the Chinese statement, the NBA apologized for the “hurt feelings” caused by Morey’s tweet, borrowing a phrase commonly used by the Chinese government to rebuke challenges to Beijing’s edicts, according to The Associated Press.

Last edited by GhostofDempsey; 10-09-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:43 PM #6
Patriot

Quoted: 8545 Post(s)
BrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 38,369.34
Total Points: 95,598.60
HBD - siablo14 brogrammers code! - BoxingFan85 No Message - Snoop Frog For implementing and managing the pick 'em game - siablo14 good job on nsb pick em - jas 
Outta that green paint. Have a beer on me ! - BERNIE'S CORNER Thanks man. Had to put an = sign in with the poster's number but it worked.  Ha. - anthonydavid11 Here. It's a cookie. Looks like chocolate chip. - Mike D So you don't have to share with your mom any more. You pu55y a55 nerd. Shove your red k up that biatches a55 too. - apples check it out, it's a fish - Mike D 
Dildo of heterosexual tranny footjobs. - P.K Dionysus Outta green paint....So go ahead and throw on this cape ! - BERNIE'S CORNER Outta green paint.... - BERNIE'S CORNER No Message - MDPopescu 15,000 Good Job. - Vegemil 
No Message - BERNIE'S CORNER Some fruit for a fruit - The Hammer lol - -jose- Cheers mate - Chrismart I guess I don’t green often enough unless it’s green’n Bob lol. - BERNIE'S CORNER 
Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Just Now Hit Me Gay and Lesbian Pride - Just Now Hit Me Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Just Now Hit Me Gay and Lesbian Pride - Just Now Hit Me Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Just Now Hit Me 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - PlasterWraps Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - punchr Gay and Lesbian Pride - boxz Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - jas 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
For one thing, the NBA apology to China was not "mild", it was a full blown get-on-your-knees pandering and begging of forgiveness. There is too much money at stake for the NBA to risk pissing off the Chinese government. Without the support of Chinese fans, and the factories in China that make products for the NBA's sponsors (Nike), the NBA will lose tremendous revenue.

"We recognize that the views expressed by Houston Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey have deeply offended many of our friends and fans in China, which is regrettable. While Daryl has made it clear that his tweet does not represent the Rockets or the NBA, the values of the league support individuals’ education themselves and sharing their views on matters important to them. We have great respect for the history and culture of China and hope that sports and the NBA can be used as a unifying force to bridge cultural divides and bring people together."

Apparently, to Silver, one way to “support” someone’s freedom of expression is to publicly announce that what they’ve just said is “regrettable".

Harden, one of the Rockets' star players, also offered an apology.

"We apologize. You know, we love China. We love playing there," Harden said at a press conference before a game in Kyoto, according to ESPN.

The league further stoked controversy with a Mandarin-language translation of its statement that condemned Morey's tweet as “inappropriate” and used other stronger terms. In the Chinese statement, the NBA apologized for the “hurt feelings” caused by Morey’s tweet, borrowing a phrase commonly used by the Chinese government to rebuke challenges to Beijing’s edicts, according to The Associated Press.
In other words, he apologized that what Morey said offended them but ultimately stood by his right to say it. I don't see a problem with that.

Quote:
"Daryl Morey, as general manager of the Houston Rockets, enjoys that right [Freedom of Speech] as one of our employees," Silver said.
BrometheusBob. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:48 PM #7
The ugly American

Quoted: 9746 Post(s)
1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,393.65
Total Points: 145,857.34
You been here since 2005 an OG, yet nobody has given you a gift, here you go. - hectari Once agan, dropping knowledge - hectari Cheers! - JimRaynor :beerchug: - -jose- Good ol Algore.  Haha.  Good post. - anthonydavid11 
Drink is on me, keep doing your thing - JimRaynor Keep hammering - ΣNΣMY No Message - JimRaynor Very wise and informed - GhostofDempsey Cheers - anthonydavid11 
The Amerikanskiys are on to us, comrade lol - A-Wolf Only insults. There's nothing positive about liberalism. Haha. - Tony Trick-Pony Keep up the good fight against Libtards! - Vlad_ Keep up the great posts, sir!! - Tony Trick-Pony Biggest scam ever - Tony Trick-Pony 
Bernie's garbage... - Tony Trick-Pony Free Speech Not Popular with Dems. Great post - Tony Trick-Pony Excellent posting... - Tony Trick-Pony To help with all the liberal tears. - JTfloyd They never change, man. Haha - Tony Trick-Pony 

You'll notice that the usually mouthy NBA communist sympathizers, Steve Kerr and Greg Popovich, are quiet as church mice about the communist Chinese using heavy-handed tactics on people for simply demanding basic human rights.

Intellectual cowardice at its finest.
1bad65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:59 PM #8
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
You'll notice that the usually mouthy NBA communist sympathizers, Steve Kerr and Greg Popovich, are quiet as church mice about the communist Chinese using heavy-handed tactics on people for simply demanding basic human rights.

Intellectual cowardice at its finest.
That billion dollar deal the NBA made to broadcast their games in China probably has nothing to do with it.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:08 PM #9
The ugly American

Quoted: 9746 Post(s)
1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,393.65
Total Points: 145,857.34
You been here since 2005 an OG, yet nobody has given you a gift, here you go. - hectari Once agan, dropping knowledge - hectari Cheers! - JimRaynor :beerchug: - -jose- Good ol Algore.  Haha.  Good post. - anthonydavid11 
Drink is on me, keep doing your thing - JimRaynor Keep hammering - ΣNΣMY No Message - JimRaynor Very wise and informed - GhostofDempsey Cheers - anthonydavid11 
The Amerikanskiys are on to us, comrade lol - A-Wolf Only insults. There's nothing positive about liberalism. Haha. - Tony Trick-Pony Keep up the good fight against Libtards! - Vlad_ Keep up the great posts, sir!! - Tony Trick-Pony Biggest scam ever - Tony Trick-Pony 
Bernie's garbage... - Tony Trick-Pony Free Speech Not Popular with Dems. Great post - Tony Trick-Pony Excellent posting... - Tony Trick-Pony To help with all the liberal tears. - JTfloyd They never change, man. Haha - Tony Trick-Pony 

Quote:
That billion dollar deal the NBA made to broadcast their games in China probably has nothing to do with it.
It's always interesting how those screaming the loudest for communism/socialism are typically the ones most concerned with their own bank accounts.
1bad65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:29 PM #10
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 3832 Post(s)
billeau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,688.25
Total Points: 167,194.69
Grade A explanation of punching technique. - - Ram Raid - Knowledgeable - -Weltschmerz- Happy holidays and best wishes for 2016 - -Weltschmerz- Lmao - -Scott-Weiland- 
Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - lparm 

Quote:
There is a history of abuse, ignorance of consequences, and other moral fallicies involving what the West seeks to achieve in Chinese markets.

It started as an old saw: The widget maker looking at China and all the people says to himself "If I could just sell one Widget to every China man... How rich I would be. The variation on this theme is endless...If I could sell one soda, one pair of socks, etc etc.

The Jesuits went into China and set up shop with a similar idea. To their chagrin not much was needed to get every Chinese to sign up. Only later did they get hit with the punch line. In China one belongs to many religions and is more than happy to accept a blessing, but the concept of exclusion, the belief that one belongs to A religion is not understood. Sure the Chinese wanted to be Jesuits, along with Taoist, Confucian, Buddhist....

The West has never truly understood China. When doing my Chinese language studies I would meet young Chinese students who would tutor me. They were paid handsomely to tutor in math, but for me? because I wanted to learn the language they would not charge me a dime. They considered it their duty as ambassadors for their culture to help me learn Chinese.

I have said many times that there is a big difference between the Chinese people and the Chinese Communist state. The Chinese people are wonderful, the state is evil. The state is destroying Ughar lands, cemeteries and other sacred spaces, so the Ughars will assimilate. They destroyed many other lands as well.

Businesses to the Chinese State are en****** that are to be exploited and ultimately destroyed, usurped by Chinese state syndication... The business given some reprieve while the secrets are harvested, then it is kicked to the curb. This is how the Chinese state operates, and it is no secret. There are people in this country who moved from Hong Kong after the 1980's when real estate loans were given out freely. The Chinese government decided one day to call all loans, and/or to raise the percents to a level that was impossible to pay, so all these properties were turned over to the banks in mainland China...Imagine having a mortgage on investment properties, at 5% and being told effective next payment 15% is the new amount to pay.

China plays on this countries corporate structures, greed and stupidity. Until groups like the NBA realize that the temporary money is not worth the ultimate price, and until the banks in this country, and the people in this country realize China should be frozen out of business existence, China will continue to destroy whatever it touches. Fish the oceans into extinction, kill the people in the towns with industrial pollution, and manipulate the currency trades, like the "carry" trade, to destabilize good currencies, and destroy the value of the dollar.

Trump is right not to kick the can down the road. The Dems are part of the conspiracy because of the temporary cash they get. True sell outs who will sell us all down the river if given a chance.
billeau2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends