Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 02-20-2018, 07:34 AM #1
Amateur

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
TheUnsure02 is on a distinguished road
Bank: 1,000.00
Total Points: 6,016.00
Default First time sparring

The first time I sparred inside a ring with my instructor (he went easy on me) by only using jabs. But I was still destroyed lol, I can't seem to dodge any punches nor can I deliver any of them it felt like going from 100 to 0 real fast once I step inside the ring?
Does anyone also have this experience? If so how could I improve.
My problems:
I always lean backward to avoid punches, but that makes me unable to deliver punches aswell
My guard is down (didn't even know it)
Big swinging actions(too predicable)
TheUnsure02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 02-20-2018, 09:17 AM #2
Interim Champion

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
vaynardevil has a reputation beyond reputevaynardevil has a reputation beyond reputevaynardevil has a reputation beyond reputevaynardevil has a reputation beyond reputevaynardevil has a reputation beyond reputevaynardevil has a reputation beyond reputevaynardevil has a reputation beyond reputevaynardevil has a reputation beyond reputevaynardevil has a reputation beyond reputevaynardevil has a reputation beyond reputevaynardevil has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,020.15
Total Points: 7,255.86

Nah never
I only did street fight
Fought furiously and windmilling lol
Even pulling hair if urgent lmao
vaynardevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:24 AM #3
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
davef has a reputation beyond reputedavef has a reputation beyond reputedavef has a reputation beyond reputedavef has a reputation beyond reputedavef has a reputation beyond reputedavef has a reputation beyond reputedavef has a reputation beyond reputedavef has a reputation beyond reputedavef has a reputation beyond reputedavef has a reputation beyond reputedavef has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 8,450.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnsure02 View Post
The first time I sparred inside a ring with my instructor (he went easy on me) by only using jabs. But I was still destroyed lol, I can't seem to dodge any punches nor can I deliver any of them it felt like going from 100 to 0 real fast once I step inside the ring?
My problems:
I always lean backward to avoid punches, but that makes me unable to deliver punches aswell
im no fulltime boxer or trainer but my cousin was a pretty decent amateur and we used to go train with him i remember he always told me footwork is the key to everything and he made me and my brother work on it for hours

it bored me to death cos we just wanted to get in the ring put gloves on and beat the ***** out of each other
davef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:24 AM #4
Interim Champion

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
TheUntouchable is a splendid one to beholdTheUntouchable is a splendid one to beholdTheUntouchable is a splendid one to beholdTheUntouchable is a splendid one to beholdTheUntouchable is a splendid one to beholdTheUntouchable is a splendid one to beholdTheUntouchable is a splendid one to behold
Total Points: 6,589.00

Sounds like you're scared. Don't lean back. You're not Ali or Roy Jones. Keep your hands high and your chin tucked, doesn't hurt to bend over a little.

It's better to take punches with your gloves and arms than leaning backwards and opening yourself up even more that way while also being completely unable to counter and get your punches going.
TheUntouchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:27 AM #5
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
davef has a reputation beyond reputedavef has a reputation beyond reputedavef has a reputation beyond reputedavef has a reputation beyond reputedavef has a reputation beyond reputedavef has a reputation beyond reputedavef has a reputation beyond reputedavef has a reputation beyond reputedavef has a reputation beyond reputedavef has a reputation beyond reputedavef has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 8,450.77

If everything else fails you could just put bricks in your gloves ala Margarito and eventually single shots will wear down your instructor until he takes a knee
davef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:11 AM #6
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Just looking has a reputation beyond reputeJust looking has a reputation beyond reputeJust looking has a reputation beyond reputeJust looking has a reputation beyond reputeJust looking has a reputation beyond reputeJust looking has a reputation beyond reputeJust looking has a reputation beyond reputeJust looking has a reputation beyond reputeJust looking has a reputation beyond reputeJust looking has a reputation beyond reputeJust looking has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,015.08
Total Points: 7,639.62

Are you stepping while jabbing? Work make this step cover the maximum distance as possible
Just looking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:54 AM #7
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1674 Post(s)
Luilun has a reputation beyond reputeLuilun has a reputation beyond reputeLuilun has a reputation beyond reputeLuilun has a reputation beyond reputeLuilun has a reputation beyond reputeLuilun has a reputation beyond reputeLuilun has a reputation beyond reputeLuilun has a reputation beyond reputeLuilun has a reputation beyond reputeLuilun has a reputation beyond reputeLuilun has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 17,300.08
Good posts. Here's your first gift. - 1bad65 Good post. Cheers! - Tony Trick-Pony Great post, bro... - Tony Trick-Pony Fuck you degenerate racist - cheeseburger degenerate trash - cheeseburger 

Quote:
My problems:
The best way is have someone work with you with focus pads, he throws punches and you learn to avoid punches by practicing counters on that punch you work on. Practice blocking, slipping and ducking. Than you get someone to swing at you with a old boxing glove and you work on blocking and ducking have this person swing the glove as fast as they can this will teach you this is the way I trained my nephew who won a national title in 3 years but had to stop because of a shoulder dislocation. By the way when you move backward always practice moving backward with a slight bob and weave rather than going back cause you will catch left hooks if you keep doing that. The way you learn how to deliver punches is the person working with you on the focus pads is he throws a punch with it you block say with your left you throw a right, right back he throws again you block with your right you throw your left as soon as your touched. This must be practice every day so you need a partner trust me I know what I'm doing and not like most clowns on this site

Last edited by Luilun; 02-20-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Luilun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:11 AM #8
Contender

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Tails will become famous soon enough
Total Points: 6,177.00

Quote:
My problems:
It's just lack of experience. Everyone that hasn't been taught from a young age is going to be confused at first as to how they are getting hit and why they can't hit the other person. It comes down to lack of fundamentals which isn't meant in a negative way. You see the people on TV and how they move and try to replicate it but aren't able to because your body isn't in sync with your mind.

You feel like you have your guard up because your hands are up but as you found out it provides a false sense of security. You have to really keep your hands all the way up and that takes time to get used to because it's going to uncomfortable.

Eventually as time passes you will start to box more naturally and become more calm. This of course depends on the type of sparring you do. As you get better you spar against more experienced people. Hopping right in there with a seasoned boxer isn't going to teach you anything because your not going to be able to pinpoint your mistakes simply because your going to overwhelmed.
Tails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:24 PM #9
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 5673 Post(s)
j.razor has a reputation beyond reputej.razor has a reputation beyond reputej.razor has a reputation beyond reputej.razor has a reputation beyond reputej.razor has a reputation beyond reputej.razor has a reputation beyond reputej.razor has a reputation beyond reputej.razor has a reputation beyond reputej.razor has a reputation beyond reputej.razor has a reputation beyond reputej.razor has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 29,792.91
One Champion. One Face. One Name. - Deontay Wilder 

Quote:
My problems:
If your leaning backwards to avoid punches you are probably stationary, get on your toes, start moving & use head movement. Hands up when you are in range, chin down, eyes up & keep your punches straight down the pipe & hooks tight. Once you learn basics then you will develop your own craft, like a style.
j.razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:25 PM #10
Banned

Quoted: 8857 Post(s)
WesternChamp has a reputation beyond reputeWesternChamp has a reputation beyond reputeWesternChamp has a reputation beyond reputeWesternChamp has a reputation beyond reputeWesternChamp has a reputation beyond reputeWesternChamp has a reputation beyond reputeWesternChamp has a reputation beyond reputeWesternChamp has a reputation beyond reputeWesternChamp has a reputation beyond reputeWesternChamp has a reputation beyond reputeWesternChamp has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 15,825.00
Thnx for the green buddy ;) - Boxing Goat 

you just svck at fighting. /thread
WesternChamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
sparring, time

User Tag List