Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 01-12-2018, 11:46 PM #1
Amateur

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
KingAtom will become famous soon enough
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 2,122.72
Default No weight transfer on straight right

Saw a new trainer who I really liked however he has me keeping more weight on my back foot and when i throw a straight right I'm supposed to keep weight on back foot and not lean into the punch. But that's all I see in videos of pros. And that's why everyone says I have a lot of power. However when I throw his way and keep my torso straight up my punches have no power comparable to the other way. So confused, am I missing something?

Last edited by KingAtom; 01-13-2018 at 12:05 PM.
KingAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 01-13-2018, 02:23 AM #2
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 2341 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 6,000,000,000,299,899.00
Long Overdue. For your contribution to NSB. - 1hourRun I concur - jazluvr 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAtom View Post
Saw a new trainer who I really liked however he has me keeping more weight on my back foot and when i throw a straight right I'm supposed to keep weight on back foot and not lean into the punch. But that's all I see in videos of pros. And that's why everyone says I have a lot of power. However when I throw his way and keep my torso straight up my punches have no power comparable to the other way. So confused, am I missing something?
Did you voice your concerns to the trainer about the lack of power issue?
OctoberRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:17 AM #3
Contender

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
AaronJW has a spectacular aura aboutAaronJW has a spectacular aura about
Total Points: 1,000,060,647.90

Actually my trainer was telling me the same thing today- don't put your weight on the lead foot because you shouldn't be leaning into the punch.

I assume it's correct!
AaronJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:46 AM #4
Hittin' the heavy bag.

Quoted: 8940 Post(s)
Redd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 385,511,890,007,941,696.00
Total Points: 415,511,890,007,898,304.00
Happy New Year - Freedom. Merry Christmas and All The Best for 2015 - Freedom. Buy another heavy bag, dog. - punchr Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. No Message - stephenmc 
Cheers to a great poster - Sergey Kovalev Even though I often disagree with you, I still enjoy reading your posts.  Here's a beer. - j0zef sit on this, man. it will relax you. best wishes, punchr - punchr No Message - Scott. Weiland Great post, man. - anthonydavid11 
Red's all about quality! - BoxingFan85 No Message - Scott. Weiland Peace out, brother, I was just clowning around. - !! Anorak Happy Easter and sh*t. - DionysusX Cheers! - anthonydavid11 

The reason pro's lean is because the opponent is never in the ideal spot like the heavy bag is!
For the straight right, train by keeping your head right above your hips and focus on the rotation of the shoulders. When you're doing the right things with the shoulders, the hips follow, as does the weight transfer.

BTW, if you have no weight on the lead foot after the straight right, how the hell are you going to throw a hook afterward? The REASON the left hook often follows the right is that your left leg is loaded and ready to thrust that power into your left hook, coupled with the return rotation of the shoulders. It's all physics.

Last edited by Redd Foxx; 01-13-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Redd Foxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:47 AM #5
Amateur

He said I would end up with more power once I got it down right. Kept getting on me about making the bag move when I hit it. Seemed impossible to do. He said all the power is in the rotation which I know but seemed weak without leaning into the punch. I'm assuming he's trying to teach me not to push the bag with the punch.

He also said leaning will put your head where it can be punched easier.

But I don't understand how this will translate in a real fight when as said above, the opponent won't stand still. He did say this was in the pocket, no moving...if that makes a difference? But he did say the inside was different than in the pocket.

Last edited by KingAtom; 01-13-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:18 PM #6
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Foxx View Post
The reason pro's lean is because the opponent is never in the ideal spot like the heavy bag is!
For the straight right, train by keeping your head right above your hips and focus on the rotation of the shoulders. When you're doing the right things with the shoulders, the hips follow, as does the weight transfer.

BTW, if you have no weight on the lead foot after the straight right, how the hell are you going to throw a hook afterward? The REASON the left hook often follows the right is that your left leg is loaded and ready to thrust that power into your left hook, coupled with the return rotation of the shoulders. It's all physics.
He said 60% on the rear, 40% on lead. I didn't mean to imply all the weight is on the back, sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:15 PM #7
Hittin' the heavy bag.

Quoted: 8940 Post(s)
Redd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 385,511,890,007,941,696.00
Total Points: 415,511,890,007,898,304.00
Happy New Year - Freedom. Merry Christmas and All The Best for 2015 - Freedom. Buy another heavy bag, dog. - punchr Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. No Message - stephenmc 
Cheers to a great poster - Sergey Kovalev Even though I often disagree with you, I still enjoy reading your posts.  Here's a beer. - j0zef sit on this, man. it will relax you. best wishes, punchr - punchr No Message - Scott. Weiland Great post, man. - anthonydavid11 
Red's all about quality! - BoxingFan85 No Message - Scott. Weiland Peace out, brother, I was just clowning around. - !! Anorak Happy Easter and sh*t. - DionysusX Cheers! - anthonydavid11 

Quote:
He said 60% on the rear, 40% on lead. I didn't mean to imply all the weight is on the back, sorry for the misunderstanding.
That's a bit conservative, IMO, but the general idea is right. You want some transfer, but not all as to be off balance. When you are getting the proper alignment, rotation, and overall form, the weight transfer takes care of itself. Overthinking it will mess up your form. When you're hitting it right, you'll feel a combination of power and balance.
Redd Foxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:53 PM #8
No More UK Stoppages

Quoted: 7155 Post(s)
ShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 34,816,465,798,117,510,348,800.00
Total Points: 34,816,465,798,117,510,348,800.00
excellent posts mate - Alx. good post about Wlad being like Bute - RossCA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA brewed just 4 u - sugarsmosley 
valuable advice to training forum - jas Thanks for the green man,I should have won poster of the year,but the site is in denial.bitches huh ? - Scott-Weiland All in .&amp;w - BERNIE'S CORNER Phone spazzed on gift giving. Can't green ya but have this beer on me. All in good fun ! - BERNIE'S CORNER Easily one of the best posters on the forum - JK1700 

When you throw the right hand are you "putting out the cigarette" with your right foot?

Meaning are you rotating it?
ShoulderRoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:32 AM #9
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
When you throw the right hand are you "putting out the cigarette" with your right foot?

Meaning are you rotating it?
Yes. I've been working through it slowly, then with more speed. It's starting to feel more natural and strong. The thing making it feel weak is cause I was leaning forward and to the left before which made it feel like a harder punch and now I'm staying totally upright.

The other thing I realized is he had me punching higher on the bag and there's not as much mass towards the top as below there so it feels like I'm punching air.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:52 PM #10
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 2341 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 6,000,000,000,299,899.00
Long Overdue. For your contribution to NSB. - 1hourRun I concur - jazluvr 

Quote:
Yes. I've been working through it slowly, then with more speed. It's starting to feel more natural and strong. The thing making it feel weak is cause I was leaning forward and to the left before which made it feel like a harder punch and now I'm staying totally upright.

The other thing I realized is he had me punching higher on the bag and there's not as much mass towards the top as below there so it feels like I'm punching air.
Has it gotten better by not punching that high on the bag?
OctoberRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
straight, transfer, weight

User Tag List