No announcement yet.

Jose Aldo: It’s time for Conor McGregor to defend or vacate his UFC belt

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jose Aldo: It’s time for Conor McGregor to defend or vacate his UFC belt

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil — Jose Aldo believes it’s time for the UFC to make a decision about the future of the lightweight division.

The former featherweight champion, who is slated to rematch Max Holloway in the main event of UFC 218 on Dec. 2, spoke with reporters about the current state of the 155-pound division during a media day in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Conor McGregor won the lightweight title in Nov. 2016, but has yet to defend the gold since “The Notorious” spent the year of 2017 preparing for a boxing match with Floyd Mayweather. Tony Ferguson was crowned interim champion in the meantime.

“Thank God my division is moving. It would be bad if it was stuck, but my division is moving,” Aldo said. “It’s hard, right? Every athlete dreams of becoming champion, fighting for the title, and the guy is holding up the division. But it’s up to the UFC to make the decisions.

“The UFC needs to do what has to be done: you take the belt away or make him defend it. I think everyone is waiting for that.”

It’s highly unlikely that McGregor returns to action this year, and “Scarface” believes that even if The Notorious competes in an unification bout versus Ferguson next, there’s a chance he loses the UFC belt.

“Yes, this time is coming,” Aldo said, “He has to defend it, has to put his belt on the line in order to become champion. He only won the title. For me, Ferguson has great possibilities of becoming champion in the future.”

I think Aldo has a legitimate argument. Conor has held the title belt now for 13 months and it's time to defend it or vacate. Dana White and the UFC have protected their cash cow long enough. McGregor has had a taste of boxing money and I think it was Marvelous Marvin Hagler who said it best, " it's kinda hard to get outta bed with silk pajamas on " !!

Comment

aldo will never be able to beat conor. they can fight 100 times and aldo will lose all 100 times. too short, too small, too weak. to beat conor or to even give him problems, you have to be the same size or bigger than him, longer reach, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by CoachMac34 View Post
        I think Aldo has a legitimate argument. Conor has held the title belt now for 13 months and it's time to defend it or vacate. Dana White and the UFC have protected their cash cow long enough. McGregor has had a taste of boxing money and I think it was Marvelous Marvin Hagler who said it best, " it's kinda hard to get outta bed with silk pajamas on " !!
        This is why the Ali Act is being pressed on the UFC, because of crap like them not stripping McGregor.

Comment

Working...
        X