Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Non Boxing Talk > Boxing Scene Lounge

Old 06-19-2017, 10:48 AM #1
Interim Champion

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Bygeorge has a reputation beyond reputeBygeorge has a reputation beyond reputeBygeorge has a reputation beyond reputeBygeorge has a reputation beyond reputeBygeorge has a reputation beyond reputeBygeorge has a reputation beyond reputeBygeorge has a reputation beyond reputeBygeorge has a reputation beyond reputeBygeorge has a reputation beyond reputeBygeorge has a reputation beyond reputeBygeorge has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,455.75
Total Points: 10,000,151,420.98
gif thread contribution :beerchug: - -jose- Office Space Was Genius!  Great post! - anthonydavid11 
Default Restaurants in Cali are shutting down due to $15 minimum wage

Restaurants are on the decline in coastal areas of California which have adapted the $15 minimum wage, many closing down altogether.

Guinea pig cities in California testing out the $15 minimum wage increase before the rest of the state have reacted negatively to the change, and that’s pretty bad considering that these areas are far more affluent than their inland neighbors.

Fresnobee reports:

“[…] San Francisco, an early adopter of the $15 wage. It’s now experiencing a restaurant die-off, minting jobless hash-slingers, cashiers, busboys, scullery engineers and line cooks as they get pink-slipped in increasing numbers. And the wage there hasn’t yet hit $15.

As the East Bay Times reported in January, at least 60 restaurants around the Bay Area had closed since September alone.

A recent study by Michael Luca at Harvard Business School and Dara Lee Luca at Mathematica Policy Research found that every $1 hike in the minimum wage brings a 14 percent increase in the likelihood of a 3.5-star restaurant on Yelp! closing.

Another telltale is San Diego, where voters approved increasing the city’s minimum wage to $11.50 per hour from $10.50, this after the minimum wage was increased from $8 an hour in 2015 – meaning hourly costs have risen 43 percent in two years.

The business decline in these areas means bad news for the rest of the state, where things will likely be far worse if California enacts a state-wide minimum wage increase.

If we can expect similar results to what we’ve seen so far where the $15 minimum wage increase has gone into effect in the state, restaurants who remain in business will likely cut staff to skeleton crews and those already struggling will have to close.

Fresnobee continues:

“U.S. Census Bureau data show about 21 percent of workers in Bakersfield earned from $8 to $12 per hour in 2015, the most recent year for which data was available. In Fresno, 32 percent of workers were in that wage group, and in Modesto about 25 percent. Contrast that with Santa Clara County, home of Silicon Valley, which registered only 12.5 percent at that level.

The state’s diverse unemployment rates tell a similar tale. Unemployment in Bakersfield was 9.5 percent; 8.8 percent in Fresno, and Stanislaus County notched 7.9 percent. Compare that to Silicon Valley’s unemployment rate – 3.2 percent

“Part of our whole concern with (the $15 wage) is it’s a one-size-fits-all,” Rob Lapsley, president of the California Business Roundtable, told The Sacramento Bee last year. “Areas with double-digit unemployment, this is scaring them to death.”

It’s no wonder either. Perhaps wealthier cities can spare a drop in business, but many places can’t afford the loss.

[Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]
Bygeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:09 AM #2
Patriot

Quoted: 5544 Post(s)
BrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 39,640,563,603,680,522,141,696.00
Total Points: 39,640,563,603,680,522,141,696.00
cheers brometheus - Mike D Keep pointing out those crappy links - siablo14 fruit for Larry's fruit - Freedom. happy birthday! - -jose- HBD - siablo14 
brogrammers code! - BoxingFan85 No Message - Snoop Frog For implementing and managing the pick 'em game - siablo14 good job on nsb pick em - jas Outta that green paint. Have a beer on me ! - BERNIE'S CORNER 
Thanks man. Had to put an = sign in with the poster's number but it worked.  Ha. - anthonydavid11 Here. It's a cookie. Looks like chocolate chip. - Mike D So you don't have to share with your mom any more. You pu55y a55 nerd. Shove your red k up that biatches a55 too. - apples check it out, it's a fish - Mike D Dildo of heterosexual tranny footjobs. - P.K Dionysus 
Outta green paint....So go ahead and throw on this cape ! - BERNIE'S CORNER Outta green paint.... - BERNIE'S CORNER No Message - MDPopescu 15,000 Good Job. - Vegemil No Message - BERNIE'S CORNER 
Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Just Now Hit Me Gay and Lesbian Pride - Just Now Hit Me Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Just Now Hit Me Gay and Lesbian Pride - Just Now Hit Me Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Just Now Hit Me 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - PlasterWraps Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - punchr Gay and Lesbian Pride - boxz Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - jas 

This reminds me of an article I saw after the Seattle wage hike. It turns out in that case that the article I was reading was overly simplified - they had not considered that restaurants closed all the time and that the number that had closed in the span they analyzed was not unusual. They also had not considered how many new restaurants opened, or how many of the ones that closed simply moved to another location.

That may not be the case here though, as it would not be shocking if a sudden surge in wages put a strain on some businesses. I would need a more detailed article to make much of this.

Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 06-19-2017 at 11:12 AM.
BrometheusBob. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:10 AM #3
NSB's Reasonable Guy

Quoted: 9844 Post(s)
Eff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 5,491,142,820,362,168,827,904.00
Total Points: 5,946,356,506,968,461,410,304.00
No Message - Santa_ Burger Exchange - cheeseburger good poster - jas One of the best posters on the forum! - JK1700 You Dont Have Enough Gifts - JimRaynor 
Always keep it real - Nomadic great contest! - TBear One kf - jas One of bscenes best - jas 

Maybe there are too many f#cking restaurants.

I'm constantly amazed at all the restaurants in my neighborhood that are around that I barely see people go into. If there is some gangsta sh^t going on at more then one of them I wouldn't be the least bit surprised cuz they gotta be doing something illegal in there or paying illegal mfers $3/hr to work there & still be open somehow.
Eff Pandas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:13 AM #4
Lieutenant

Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
JimRaynor has a reputation beyond reputeJimRaynor has a reputation beyond reputeJimRaynor has a reputation beyond reputeJimRaynor has a reputation beyond reputeJimRaynor has a reputation beyond reputeJimRaynor has a reputation beyond reputeJimRaynor has a reputation beyond reputeJimRaynor has a reputation beyond reputeJimRaynor has a reputation beyond reputeJimRaynor has a reputation beyond reputeJimRaynor has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 376,845,695,117,909,688,320.00
Total Points: 376,845,695,118,910,816,256.00
I'M PLEASED YOU APPRECIATE GUUD WIIINE - Monaco Slim HAVE ANOTHER GLASS - Monaco Slim cheers - -Kev- might need these for the old hag - Shaolin Sword No Message - anthonydavid11 
Good luck with Power Ball and Mega Ball tickets. Good life is just around the corner - siablo14 White is right - Rudyo Schooling em - ΣNΣMY 

Idiots think that if they raise minimum wage, that nothing else will proportionately increase.
JimRaynor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:19 AM #5
The Ugly American

Quoted: 4133 Post(s)
1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 11,111,111,468,077.26
You been here since 2005 an OG, yet nobody has given you a gift, here you go. - hectari Once agan, dropping knowledge - hectari Cheers! - JimRaynor :beerchug: - -jose- Good ol Algore.  Haha.  Good post. - anthonydavid11 
Drink is on me, keep doing your thing - JimRaynor truce - jazluvr Keep hammering - ΣNΣMY 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRaynor View Post
Idiots think that if they raise minimum wage, that nothing else will proportionately increase.
Gruber didnt call them "stupid" for nothing.
1bad65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:32 AM #6
Eat A Peach For Hours

Quoted: 3707 Post(s)
Willy Wanker has a reputation beyond reputeWilly Wanker has a reputation beyond reputeWilly Wanker has a reputation beyond reputeWilly Wanker has a reputation beyond reputeWilly Wanker has a reputation beyond reputeWilly Wanker has a reputation beyond reputeWilly Wanker has a reputation beyond reputeWilly Wanker has a reputation beyond reputeWilly Wanker has a reputation beyond reputeWilly Wanker has a reputation beyond reputeWilly Wanker has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,096,688,602,141,344,923,648.00
Total Points: 3,096,688,602,241,344,471,040.00
No Message - Willy Wanker No Message - Willy Wanker No Message - Willy Wanker No Message - Willy Wanker No Message - Willy Wanker 
No Message - Willy Wanker here's another one to help the cause - -jose- lol - -jose- Merry Christmas - TBear Lounge ATG - Mike D 
From Brandi with Love! - BoxingFan85 Just because. - DionysusX my ni gga - STAX ON DECK Looking forward to the fight man ? Who you rooting for ? - ScottWeiland happy father's day (in the event your creampie was loaded, lol) - DionysusX 
The Autozone comment had me rolling. Haha. Cheers - anthonydavid11 Camacho avi :love: that's one sexy Rican - -jose- Lana was sent from above - Santa_ -jose- aka Colonel Culo Snatcher :lol1::lol1: - -jose- alt account and serial racist member. - Shaolin Sword 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest 

I bet California will raise the minimum wage to $15 across the entire state anyways.
Willy Wanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:09 PM #7
Sentenced to Texas

Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Mooshashi has a reputation beyond reputeMooshashi has a reputation beyond reputeMooshashi has a reputation beyond reputeMooshashi has a reputation beyond reputeMooshashi has a reputation beyond reputeMooshashi has a reputation beyond reputeMooshashi has a reputation beyond reputeMooshashi has a reputation beyond reputeMooshashi has a reputation beyond reputeMooshashi has a reputation beyond reputeMooshashi has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 101,200,624.48
a real bro - Ruthless One Great stuff. - Santa_ damn!!! - -jose- No Message - Snoop Frog 

Idk if those statistics are correct ot not but in Dallas where there are more restaurants than nearly any other city restaurants open and close very frequently.
Mooshashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:23 PM #8
Patriot

Quoted: 5544 Post(s)
BrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond reputeBrometheusBob. has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 39,640,563,603,680,522,141,696.00
Total Points: 39,640,563,603,680,522,141,696.00
cheers brometheus - Mike D Keep pointing out those crappy links - siablo14 fruit for Larry's fruit - Freedom. happy birthday! - -jose- HBD - siablo14 
brogrammers code! - BoxingFan85 No Message - Snoop Frog For implementing and managing the pick 'em game - siablo14 good job on nsb pick em - jas Outta that green paint. Have a beer on me ! - BERNIE'S CORNER 
Thanks man. Had to put an = sign in with the poster's number but it worked.  Ha. - anthonydavid11 Here. It's a cookie. Looks like chocolate chip. - Mike D So you don't have to share with your mom any more. You pu55y a55 nerd. Shove your red k up that biatches a55 too. - apples check it out, it's a fish - Mike D Dildo of heterosexual tranny footjobs. - P.K Dionysus 
Outta green paint....So go ahead and throw on this cape ! - BERNIE'S CORNER Outta green paint.... - BERNIE'S CORNER No Message - MDPopescu 15,000 Good Job. - Vegemil No Message - BERNIE'S CORNER 
Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Just Now Hit Me Gay and Lesbian Pride - Just Now Hit Me Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Just Now Hit Me Gay and Lesbian Pride - Just Now Hit Me Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Just Now Hit Me 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - PlasterWraps Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - punchr Gay and Lesbian Pride - boxz Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - jas 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooshashi View Post
Idk if those statistics are correct ot not but in Dallas where there are more restaurants than nearly any other city restaurants open and close very frequently.
Basically what I was pointing out in my post
Image View Removed. Please Click Here.

I'm not saying the OP's message is definitely wrong, just that the number of restaurants that closed after the wage increase is not meaningful devoid of other context

Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 06-19-2017 at 01:12 PM.
BrometheusBob. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:35 PM #9
Interim Champion

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Bygeorge has a reputation beyond reputeBygeorge has a reputation beyond reputeBygeorge has a reputation beyond reputeBygeorge has a reputation beyond reputeBygeorge has a reputation beyond reputeBygeorge has a reputation beyond reputeBygeorge has a reputation beyond reputeBygeorge has a reputation beyond reputeBygeorge has a reputation beyond reputeBygeorge has a reputation beyond reputeBygeorge has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,455.75
Total Points: 10,000,151,420.98
gif thread contribution :beerchug: - -jose- Office Space Was Genius!  Great post! - anthonydavid11 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
Gruber didnt call them "stupid" for nothing.
The jackasses wanted this implemented nationwide via federal law, without taking into consideration that the cost of living varies wildly from state to state. But who cares, let the libs run their states how they see fit, it's when they believe that every state in the union should be run like theirs that you have pissed off people.
Bygeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:54 PM #10
The Ugly American

Quoted: 4133 Post(s)
1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute1bad65 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 11,111,111,468,077.26
You been here since 2005 an OG, yet nobody has given you a gift, here you go. - hectari Once agan, dropping knowledge - hectari Cheers! - JimRaynor :beerchug: - -jose- Good ol Algore.  Haha.  Good post. - anthonydavid11 
Drink is on me, keep doing your thing - JimRaynor truce - jazluvr Keep hammering - ΣNΣMY 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
The jackasses wanted this implemented nationwide via federal law, without taking into consideration that the cost of living varies wildly from state to state. But who cares, let the libs run their states how they see fit, it's when they believe that every state in the union should be run like theirs that you have pissed off people.
Exactly.

The Founders put in the 10th Amendment for reasons like this.
1bad65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
cali, minimum, restaurants, shutting, wage

User Tag List