Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 05-15-2006, 01:30 PM #1
06-15

Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
BKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,011,328,619.07
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. Happy New Year Bro, All the bet for 2016 - Rocky... Happy 10 years - HughJass Elite Counter-Insurgent - //// No Message - King Krusher 
Default Sparring with Sonny Liston

I came across this article on the net, and it was interesting and funny.

Sparring with Sonny Liston
Alan Laythorpe, a sports reporter/columnist, sports editor, rural reporter, 1962-65, 1969-72 and 1980-86, on his coverage of late world heavyweight boxing champion Sonny Liston:
"I had a feud with Sonny Liston after I wrote a column saying he was 32 going on 37. He got mad and swore he was 32 years old, but I pointed out if that were true, he would have been 12 years old at the time he was in the Missouri state prison.

"(A year later) I was at Thunderbird Downs (horse race track) with (Sun columnists) Joe Delaney and (the late) Paul Price. We saw Liston, and they bet me $10 I wouldn't dare go up to him and shake his hand. I took the bet, walked up to Liston and said, 'Hello Champ, how are you?' and stuck out my hand. He said, 'I'm OK' and shook it.

"He got his revenge, I guess, because it took me a week to pry my fingers apart after I got my hand back. But I did get the $10."

Today, Alan Laythorpe is a thoroughbred race horse broker in San Diego.

[Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.] its down the page.
BKM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 05-15-2006, 01:48 PM #2
Interim Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
SABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 59,974.27
Send a message via AIM to SABBATH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaman
I came across this article on the net, and it was interesting and funny.

Sparring with Sonny Liston
Alan Laythorpe, a sports reporter/columnist, sports editor, rural reporter, 1962-65, 1969-72 and 1980-86, on his coverage of late world heavyweight boxing champion Sonny Liston:
"I had a feud with Sonny Liston after I wrote a column saying he was 32 going on 37. He got mad and swore he was 32 years old, but I pointed out if that were true, he would have been 12 years old at the time he was in the Missouri state prison.

"(A year later) I was at Thunderbird Downs (horse race track) with (Sun columnists) Joe Delaney and (the late) Paul Price. We saw Liston, and they bet me $10 I wouldn't dare go up to him and shake his hand. I took the bet, walked up to Liston and said, 'Hello Champ, how are you?' and stuck out my hand. He said, 'I'm OK' and shook it.

"He got his revenge, I guess, because it took me a week to pry my fingers apart after I got my hand back. But I did get the $10."

Today, Alan Laythorpe is a thoroughbred race horse broker in San Diego.

[Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.] its down the page.
I have a better one. Micky Duff once bet Liston that journalist Reggie Gutteridge had less hair on his body than Liston. Gutteridge then proceeded to roll up his pant leg. Liston was amazed.

Gutteridge had a wooden leg.

Last edited by SABBATH; 05-15-2006 at 01:54 PM.
SABBATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:38 PM #3
Mitakuye Oyasin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
K-DOGG has a reputation beyond reputeK-DOGG has a reputation beyond reputeK-DOGG has a reputation beyond reputeK-DOGG has a reputation beyond reputeK-DOGG has a reputation beyond reputeK-DOGG has a reputation beyond reputeK-DOGG has a reputation beyond reputeK-DOGG has a reputation beyond reputeK-DOGG has a reputation beyond reputeK-DOGG has a reputation beyond reputeK-DOGG has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 6,071,908.58
Total Points: 10,003,872,951.32
Happy holidays and best wishes for 2016 - -Weltschmerz- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABBATH
I have a better one. Micky Duff once bet Liston that journalist Reggie Gutteridge had less hair on his body than Liston. Gutteridge then proceeded to roll up his pant leg. Liston was amazed.

Gutteridge had a wooden leg.
Image View Removed. Please Click Here.
That's pretty funny.
K-DOGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:36 PM #4
Hey, Boo Boo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 46,390.36
Boxingscene's elite - !! AI-Holmes!! To a clever bear. A Superbear! - BatTheMan 

You guys should read the old stories on Albert Terhune, Paul Gallico, and the like (reporters, authors...media types), who actually did spar (and by some of the descriptions it was far from being light sparring either) with some of the great heavyweights of their day...Pretty interesting stuff.
Yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:40 PM #5
Interim Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
SABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 59,974.27
Send a message via AIM to SABBATH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi
You guys should read the old stories on Albert Terhune, Paul Gallico, and the like (reporters, authors...media types), who actually did spar (and by some of the descriptions it was far from being light sparring either) with some of the great heavyweights of their day...Pretty interesting stuff.
I remember George Plimpton getting a bloody nose frm sparring with Archie Moore...
SABBATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:46 PM #6
Hey, Boo Boo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 46,390.36
Boxingscene's elite - !! AI-Holmes!! To a clever bear. A Superbear! - BatTheMan 

Quote:
I remember George Plimpton getting a bloody nose frm sparring with Archie Moore...
"Hey, breathe, man, breathe." - Ole' Mongoose
Yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:53 AM #7
SRR by Triangle Theory

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Rockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 4,266,112,339,041,820,160.00
Total Points: 4,266,112,339,042,006,016.00
I have great respect for you as a poster - rorymac Much appreciated my friend - BulgariasFinest thanks champ, respect :) - calmdown you were a good opponent or whatever, now its over between you and me as rivals or fake rivals, whatever it was, lol, no more problems from me to you in my part - Tha_Greatest 10k. Keep postin'. - BattlingNelson 
Happy 10k darling! :kiss: - *Boss Lady* 10k posts - ??? Happy birthday Rockin' - dan_cov happy birthday - TBear You are one of the best posters here. - I'm so sorry 
Great post on crime statistics. It's truly a disturbing trend. - thuggery for keepin it real in the training lounge , your the man rockin. - HUGH JASS For beating the stuffing out of master chef - lparm how do u give someone a good rep? cant figure it out - bigpauly To a fighting Man - Weltz 
One of the great posters - jas Merry Cristmas Rockin' - TBear :) - Salim_Shady Thank you for bumping the Rockin' story thread, I would have otherwise never seen it and I really enjoyed reading it. - Tyler_Durden Icon says it all - jazluvr 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - mangler World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Talisayen AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - ??? Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - TBear 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Childhood Cancer - bigpauly World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- 

Quote:
These writers that claim to have "ring experience" because they saprred with a named fighter is a bunch of crap.

I read Plimptons book and let me tell you he didnt see nothin' with his sparring. I cant remember who the fighter was, it was a big named 70's heavyweight, but the guy just played with Plimpton, like a cat and mouse except the cat doesnt eat the mouse at the end. Its cool that Plimpton believes he has real ring experience to throw on his resume. But the thing is that if he ever did get real ring time witrh any pro fighter he probably would not be writting as well as he had before the real thing. Just my opinion.

Rockin'
Rockin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

User Tag List