Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 03-09-2006, 09:20 PM #1
Contender

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stiv Rex has a reputation beyond reputeStiv Rex has a reputation beyond reputeStiv Rex has a reputation beyond reputeStiv Rex has a reputation beyond reputeStiv Rex has a reputation beyond reputeStiv Rex has a reputation beyond reputeStiv Rex has a reputation beyond reputeStiv Rex has a reputation beyond reputeStiv Rex has a reputation beyond reputeStiv Rex has a reputation beyond reputeStiv Rex has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 22,687.37
Default Time to go back to 15 rounds?

When I watched the 2nd hopkins taylor fight and the 12th ended I was thinking, man this isnt over, both of these guys have more fight in them and its too close. My history on this is spotty and I dont feel like looking it up right now, but they changed the max number of rounds in a fight from 15 to 12 after the ray mancini duk koo kim fight, right? was it suggested by dr. flip homansky, incorporated by the nevada athletic commission and then followed suit throughout the world? i think thats how it happened.
anyway, i read about guys 100 years ago going 20, 30, 40 rounds and more. when was it set at 15? was it an unofficial thing that became official? i would think sometime in the 30's or so, but thats just a guess.
am i the only guy who thinks that there should be 15 rounds again?
Stiv Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 03-09-2006, 09:29 PM #2
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
sleazyfellow has a reputation beyond reputesleazyfellow has a reputation beyond reputesleazyfellow has a reputation beyond reputesleazyfellow has a reputation beyond reputesleazyfellow has a reputation beyond reputesleazyfellow has a reputation beyond reputesleazyfellow has a reputation beyond reputesleazyfellow has a reputation beyond reputesleazyfellow has a reputation beyond reputesleazyfellow has a reputation beyond reputesleazyfellow has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,359,162,650.71
Total Points: 3,359,189,176.75

i dont know if theyll ever go 15 rounds since after mancini killed duk koo kim r sumthing in the ring back in the 80s they("scientist, experts") found out the 13, 14, and 15th rounds r the rounds the most damage happens, but what the hell do they know? lol but its probobly true since thats a long time to fight.
sleazyfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:30 PM #3
Pound 4 Pound

MlLkMan MlLkMan MlLkMan MlLkMan MlLkMan MlLkMan MlLkMan MlLkMan MlLkMan MlLkMan MlLkMan
Total Points: 14,484.11

I think 15 rounders will separate pretenders from contenders.
MlLkMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:43 PM #4
Contender

Stiv Rex has a reputation beyond reputeStiv Rex has a reputation beyond reputeStiv Rex has a reputation beyond reputeStiv Rex has a reputation beyond reputeStiv Rex has a reputation beyond reputeStiv Rex has a reputation beyond reputeStiv Rex has a reputation beyond reputeStiv Rex has a reputation beyond reputeStiv Rex has a reputation beyond reputeStiv Rex has a reputation beyond reputeStiv Rex has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, i agree rebel. i cant count the number of fights ive seen just in the last 2 or 3 years that deserved more rounds.
if they made the fights longer it wouldnt just test the physical stamina of the fighters, but their strategy also.
thats where a fight like hopkins-taylor 2 would get really interesting.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:55 PM #5
Future Champion

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Verstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond reputeVerstyle has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 8,709,962,283,793.00
Total Points: 87,609,963,003,423.34
Congrats on 38K posts Vers mah homie!!!!!!!! - Chief2ndzOnly! to the big homie - Larryx2011 great lounge poster - RINGG interesting/good threads man. - chiguy91 for an atg poster - jazluvr 
For all your kindness and support - Lorily :lol1: that shyt ain't right and awkward thread - jose830 No Message - MELLY-MEL... Thanks bro - BulgariasFinest Welcome back bud - TBear 
Happy Holidays Verstyle.. - !! AI-Holmes!! No Message - TBear No Message - TBear No Message - TBear 40,000 posts! :fing02: - jose830 
4 d 40k - led* 40k son - MELLY-MEL... have a great time at the fight tomorrow night! - HUGH JASS good to see you around - -jose- Merry Christmas Verstyle - TBear 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleazyfellow
i dont know if theyll ever go 15 rounds since after mancini killed duk koo kim r sumthing in the ring back in the 80s they("scientist, experts") found out the 13, 14, and 15th rounds r the rounds the most damage happens, but what the hell do they know? lol but its probobly true since thats a long time to fight.

yes it was here u guys go.http://boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=1639
Verstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:03 PM #6
Contender

ok, there you go, it WAS the duk kim fight. and the wbc started the change.
ive never seen the fight, but ive read that it was a beating that should have been stopped way earlier. can you blame the long fight or a bad ref for this?
by the way, the ref committed suicide a couple months after this fight...
Old 03-09-2006, 10:48 PM #7
Banned

Da Iceman has a reputation beyond reputeDa Iceman has a reputation beyond reputeDa Iceman has a reputation beyond reputeDa Iceman has a reputation beyond reputeDa Iceman has a reputation beyond reputeDa Iceman has a reputation beyond reputeDa Iceman has a reputation beyond reputeDa Iceman has a reputation beyond reputeDa Iceman has a reputation beyond reputeDa Iceman has a reputation beyond reputeDa Iceman has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 100,255,897.00

its the refs fault, he shouldve stopped it, and i heard kim had trouble making weight.
Da Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:00 AM #8
The HW Sugar Ray!

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
butterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,110,599.60
Total Points: 1,387,120.97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiv Rex
anyway, i read about guys 100 years ago going 20, 30, 40 rounds and more. when was it set at 15? was it an unofficial thing that became official? i would think sometime in the 30's or so, but thats just a guess.
am i the only guy who thinks that there should be 15 rounds again?
the first fight using the mandatory 15 rounds was the heavyweight championship fight between champion jess willard and the challenger jack dempsey. i love that fight. i repeatedly watch it all the time. gotta love mad jack!

butterfly1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 02:43 AM #9
Banned

Tony Blitz has a reputation beyond reputeTony Blitz has a reputation beyond reputeTony Blitz has a reputation beyond reputeTony Blitz has a reputation beyond reputeTony Blitz has a reputation beyond reputeTony Blitz has a reputation beyond reputeTony Blitz has a reputation beyond reputeTony Blitz has a reputation beyond reputeTony Blitz has a reputation beyond reputeTony Blitz has a reputation beyond reputeTony Blitz has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 222,932.00
Send a message via AIM to Tony Blitz

A Gatti-Ward type fight with 15 rounds in this new age of boxing where fighters dehydrate themselves up to the double digits is instant death. Plus, who the **** wants to see Hopkins-Taylor for 15 rounds
Tony Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:39 AM #10
NOV. 3, NEW CHAMPION

ferocity has a reputation beyond reputeferocity has a reputation beyond reputeferocity has a reputation beyond reputeferocity has a reputation beyond reputeferocity has a reputation beyond reputeferocity has a reputation beyond reputeferocity has a reputation beyond reputeferocity has a reputation beyond reputeferocity has a reputation beyond reputeferocity has a reputation beyond reputeferocity has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,111,198.63
Total Points: 6,413,276.48
Cheers to Margarito! - Tunney ĦArriba Margarito! - Puas 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextRocky
its the refs fault, he shouldve stopped it, and i heard kim had trouble making weight.
I don't think you can only blame the ref. You blame the ref, then you'd also have to blame the corner and the fighter for being so damn tough.

Although I don't think a boxer wants to die in the ring, I belive every boxer is aware that in between those ropes their is a chance he may die. But a fighter knows that risk and accpets it. Its a shame the ref took his own life, I havn't seen the fight but if Kim was fighting back then why stop the fight, but the Mancini v. Kim fight was the fight that caused the wbc to change the championship rounds to 12 and then the rest of the organizations followed.

I think it would be good to see 15 rounds again or how about have the 15 rounds for rematchs? Anytime a rematch take place, it would be mandatory for the fighters to fight in a 15 round Championship fight.
ferocity is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

User Tag List