Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 12-30-2013, 08:18 PM #1
Up and Comer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
drakknoir is on a distinguished road
Bank: 1,000.00
Total Points: 6,115.00
Default Sparring tips

so im pretty new-ish to sparring and the majority of guys are spar are far more experienced and bigger, at least 10kg+. My main problem is timing, i tend to walk into a lot of jabs, i cover up and manage to slip a lot of power shots but slipping or even blocking a jab is proving difficult, so i was wondering if anyone has tips for acheiving this?

also when i duck under punches i have a terrible habbit of looking at the ground, and when i come up i normally end up getting tagged. so does anyone have any useful sparring tips, or things whihc have helped them when first stepping in the ring?
drakknoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:31 PM #2
Amateur

Warrenely is on a distinguished road
Total Points: 6,013.00

Go in one way move out different direction if you move in and out in same direction is to predict just remember to keep you guard up and cover you body relax and breath through your nose it comes with time watch your opponents body language after a while you may be able tell when their going to throw a jab or a combo hope that helps
Warrenely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:25 PM #3
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1501 Post(s)
Ray Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,051.14
Total Points: 21,178.86
Listen to Ray, he knows boxing - valero Knowledgable poster - Weltz Knowledgeable - Beercules invaluable to the training forum - jas one of the greats - jas 
Keep'in them real - jaded nice post - lefthook2daliva Top Rated Consistant Poster - ironmt R.I.P Ray - dan_cov 

Why are you sparring you don't know anything yet? Everything you've asked are basic lessons you need to learn and work on prior to sparring!
You should be working on parring a jab and then slipping to both sides (inside/outside)and a straight drop slip (bending knees) and begin to add your counters too!
If your backyard sparring you better stop because your "learning things" the wrong way! Find a boxing gym with a real boxing trainer or your just wasting time and spilling blood you could be donating to a blood bank that needs it! Ray
Ray Corso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:18 PM #4
P4P THE BEST AROUND

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
LOWBLOW_CHAMP has a reputation beyond reputeLOWBLOW_CHAMP has a reputation beyond reputeLOWBLOW_CHAMP has a reputation beyond reputeLOWBLOW_CHAMP has a reputation beyond reputeLOWBLOW_CHAMP has a reputation beyond reputeLOWBLOW_CHAMP has a reputation beyond reputeLOWBLOW_CHAMP has a reputation beyond reputeLOWBLOW_CHAMP has a reputation beyond reputeLOWBLOW_CHAMP has a reputation beyond reputeLOWBLOW_CHAMP has a reputation beyond reputeLOWBLOW_CHAMP has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,045.91
Total Points: 8,812.94

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakknoir View Post
so im pretty new-ish to sparring and the majority of guys are spar are far more experienced and bigger, at least 10kg+. My main problem is timing, i tend to walk into a lot of jabs, i cover up and manage to slip a lot of power shots but slipping or even blocking a jab is proving difficult, so i was wondering if anyone has tips for acheiving this?

also when i duck under punches i have a terrible habbit of looking at the ground, and when i come up i normally end up getting tagged. so does anyone have any useful sparring tips, or things whihc have helped them when first stepping in the ring?
first and foremost never stop jabbing jab until you cant jab anymore, 2nd and don't ever forget! keep your head moving always know that a punch is coming keep your head moving while hiding behind your guard. then jab while u swing your head back that way if they try to counter you your head wont be there leap in and out and throw flurries of 7-8 never settle for just one at a time and remember never stop moving your head don't be lookin at the ground look at your opponent at all times!!!!
LOWBLOW_CHAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:33 PM #5
Knights of the Round

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Hyper Knuckles has a reputation beyond reputeHyper Knuckles has a reputation beyond reputeHyper Knuckles has a reputation beyond reputeHyper Knuckles has a reputation beyond reputeHyper Knuckles has a reputation beyond reputeHyper Knuckles has a reputation beyond reputeHyper Knuckles has a reputation beyond reputeHyper Knuckles has a reputation beyond reputeHyper Knuckles has a reputation beyond reputeHyper Knuckles has a reputation beyond reputeHyper Knuckles has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,025.25
Total Points: 8,808.00
A Toast to a great Cotto Victory! - The Surgeon Here you go man! - codey Good post bro. keep up the good work. - codey A toast for the return of the King, congrats. - Dinamita 03 Cheers, here's to it! - jazluvr 
Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - codey Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Hyper Knuckles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdub2222 View Post
first and foremost never stop jabbing jab until you cant jab anymore, 2nd and don't ever forget! keep your head moving always know that a punch is coming keep your head moving while hiding behind your guard. then jab while u swing your head back that way if they try to counter you your head wont be there leap in and out and throw flurries of 7-8 never settle for just one at a time and remember never stop moving your head don't be lookin at the ground look at your opponent at all times!!!!
You must be crapped out after the third round
Hyper Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:54 PM #6
Knights of the Round

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Hyper Knuckles has a reputation beyond reputeHyper Knuckles has a reputation beyond reputeHyper Knuckles has a reputation beyond reputeHyper Knuckles has a reputation beyond reputeHyper Knuckles has a reputation beyond reputeHyper Knuckles has a reputation beyond reputeHyper Knuckles has a reputation beyond reputeHyper Knuckles has a reputation beyond reputeHyper Knuckles has a reputation beyond reputeHyper Knuckles has a reputation beyond reputeHyper Knuckles has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,025.25
Total Points: 8,808.00
A Toast to a great Cotto Victory! - The Surgeon Here you go man! - codey Good post bro. keep up the good work. - codey A toast for the return of the King, congrats. - Dinamita 03 Cheers, here's to it! - jazluvr 
Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - codey Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Hyper Knuckles 

It sounds to me like you need to go back to basics and work on your footwork, parrying and maybe arm placement. Don't know why you're sparring fellows heavier than you but when you're crouching down remember to bend at the knees instead of hunching over or it can develop into a bad habit.
It makes it easier for the other guy to tug your head down or rip you with a mean uppercut when you don't. Stay loose and if all else fails listen to what your body is telling you. Definitely work on fundamentals with your coach. How bad do you want it after all? Be patient, good things come with time.
Hyper Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:30 AM #7
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Tyler_Durden has a reputation beyond reputeTyler_Durden has a reputation beyond reputeTyler_Durden has a reputation beyond reputeTyler_Durden has a reputation beyond reputeTyler_Durden has a reputation beyond reputeTyler_Durden has a reputation beyond reputeTyler_Durden has a reputation beyond reputeTyler_Durden has a reputation beyond reputeTyler_Durden has a reputation beyond reputeTyler_Durden has a reputation beyond reputeTyler_Durden has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 8,404.00
Merry Christmas ! - MDPopescu Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!! - mathed Happy Holidays and happy new year my dude. - WARQUEZ No problem - peyk-peyk backatcha - Talisayen 
Love me some classy gamblers. - WARQUEZ I recommend Harry Potter - Rights4Gays thanks! - ddangerous A monetary donation - mathed Good fight better luck and cya on the next one. - DannYankee09 
quik - `STEELHEAD for actually paying, have a sammich on me. - sugarsmosley thanks for the swift payment on our e-points froch-groves bet!! - jas Can't green k you cause I'm red so here's a gift. You're a good poster - Jalisciense909 Thanks for the points! Cheers! - Jalisciense909 
beIN Sports rocks! - VAGAB0ND cheers! - dan_cov thanks man! - Beercules oooh yea that helped, thanks again. have some grapes HAHA. this shits hilarious - nivek535 No Message - Freedom. 

How long have you been training for? It really sounds like you need to work on your fundamentals and balance. The last thing you wana do is repeat improper movements or technique specially when you are starting off because they will stick to you and become more difficult to correct later on. Nobody on here is there with you so it's really difficult to pin point the right advice to give you, plus every trainer is different so really the only person you should listen to is your own trainer, the one that works with you every day. I'm sure he already noticed the things you need work on but be sure to bring them up anyway and also tell him what you feel the most uncomfortable with so that you guys can work on it a little more.

On a different note, if you happen to be training at a gym were nobody is really paying any attention to you but they have you go in the ring and use you for sparring at their convenience and as a punching bag, then I strongly recommend that you find a better gym as soon as possible with trainers that are professional and will pay attention to you. Don't waste your time, nobody should ever spar without at least having basic knowledge of what they are doing. =]
Tyler_Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:33 AM #8
SRR by Triangle Theory

Quoted: 2712 Post(s)
Rockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,035,258.06
Total Points: 1,041,818.64
10k posts - ??? Happy birthday Rockin' - dan_cov happy birthday - TBear You are one of the best posters here. - I'm so sorry Great post on crime statistics. It's truly a disturbing trend. - thuggery 
for keepin it real in the training lounge , your the man rockin. - HUGH JASS For beating the stuffing out of master chef - lparm how do u give someone a good rep? cant figure it out - bigpauly To a fighting Man - Weltz One of the great posters - jas 
Merry Cristmas Rockin' - TBear :) - Salim_Shady Thank you for bumping the Rockin' story thread, I would have otherwise never seen it and I really enjoyed reading it. - Tyler_Durden Icon says it all - jazluvr Happy hoidays - jazluvr 
Thanks for the green! - GhostofDempsey Cheers! - Shontae De'marc Thanks! - GhostofDempsey What a faggot, deleting your posts and snitching on users. Gtfo this forum btch - lfc19titles thanks - Deontaytheking 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - mangler World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Talisayen AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - ??? Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - TBear 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Childhood Cancer - bigpauly World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakknoir View Post

I'm going to share the most incisive advice about fighting that was ever spoken, absolutely free of charge.

Here it is:
Punch him in his face and then when he tries to punch you back...... move!

You'll want to check out my 'Ultra Indepth Analysis' in one of these forums, you could learn alot from them aswell.

Basics are paramount in this game. Without them you may feel like a seal in the depths of the ocean who has just gotten himself tangled up in a boat roter with a bunch of sharks hanging around............ Rockin'

Last edited by Rockin'; 12-31-2013 at 03:39 AM.
Rockin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:58 AM #9
Interim Champion

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
EDD1 has a reputation beyond reputeEDD1 has a reputation beyond reputeEDD1 has a reputation beyond reputeEDD1 has a reputation beyond reputeEDD1 has a reputation beyond reputeEDD1 has a reputation beyond reputeEDD1 has a reputation beyond reputeEDD1 has a reputation beyond reputeEDD1 has a reputation beyond reputeEDD1 has a reputation beyond reputeEDD1 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,439.20
Total Points: 7,645.96

agreed, don't get in the ring until you have worked on your fundamentals under a legitimate trainer.
EDD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:11 AM #10
Up and Comer

drakknoir is on a distinguished road
Total Points: 6,115.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden View Post
On a different note, if you happen to be training at a gym were nobody is really paying any attention to you but they have you go in the ring and use you for sparring at their convenience and as a punching bag, then I strongly recommend that you find a better gym as soon as possible with trainers that are professional and will pay attention to you. Don't waste your time, nobody should ever spar without at least having basic knowledge of what they are doing. =]
This is exactly right. since iv been going there ( 1 year ) i havnt had 1 piece of advice from the trainer, literally every session is the same. hit the bags, then pads, then sit ups/press ups. then sparring where i get thrown in a ring with some experienced amateur fighters and ocassionally an actual pro! in sparring you can bring your own gloves so i spar with some guys who are 180lbs wearing 10-12oz gloves! the trainer has said i am at 'fighting level' and has mentioned amatuers but i am nowhere near ready most of what i do is based on instinct, a lot of the time i dont even know what i should of should be doing in the ring.

im going back to uni in a few days and going to join a gym there so hoping it will be better, i know i can improve loads if i can get some decent training. watching videos online etc is useful but by the time it comes to train i cant even remember most of it. didnt realise how hard boxing can be without a decent trainer.
drakknoir is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
sparring, tips