Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Haye set for ring return

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...rld-title.html

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...ng-return.html

DAVID HAYE is out of the jungle and insists he is ready to rumble again.

The Hayemaker, 32, climbed aboard the showbiz circuit and finished third in the recent I’m a Celebrity TV show after he knocked out Dereck Chisora in a controversial contest in July.

But he has been eaten away by the thought of quitting without a world heavyweight crown after Wladimir Klitschko added Haye’s WBA title to his WBO and IBF belts with a points win.

If Haye cannot persuade either Wladimir or elder sibling Vitali to face him then he will go down the route of becoming mandatory challenger for any of the four belts currently held by the brothers.

Haye’s lowest world ranking is at five for the WBC version while he is four in both WBO and IBF despite announcing for the second time he had retired.

Such is Haye’s box office appeal he has remained rated as number one contender for the WBA title that is currently held by Alexander Povetkin with Wladimir Klitschko as the ‘super’ champion — a title that grants him special status.

Generally to get into a position to challenge a world champion the top two in any organisation box off and the winner gets the shot at the crown.

It is a well trodden path for Haye, who won the WBC cruiserweight world title as a mandatory challenger for Jean Marc Mormeck.

When a challenger takes that route, it gives reigning world champions no way out unless they give up their title.

Haye went into ‘retirement’ for the first time after losing on points to Klitschko in July 2011.

But he made a return against Chisora where he stopped his rival in five rounds.

Before Haye could be banned for his punch up with Chisora at a press conference he handed back his fight licence.

But he is now prepared to step back in the ring althoughhe will have to re-apply for a fight licence. Chisora will return to the ring on April 20 after yesterday regaining his licence.
    THE quickest route to getting a Klitschko in the ring would be to take on Alexander Povetkin for the WBA title.

Povetkin is the reigning WBA champion, with Wladimir Klitschko the ‘super champ’, which affords him special status when it comes to defences.

If Haye, rated as No 1 contender by the WBA, beats Russian Povetkin, an offer could be made to Klitschko.

Brother Vitali is WBC king. Haye is ranked No 5 by that organisation — and a scrap with Manchester’s Tyson Fury would be a cracker.

INDEPENDENT TOP 10: 1 Vitali Klitschko (Ukraine), 2 Wladimir Klitschko (Ukraine), 3 Kubrat Pulev (Bulgaria), 4 Tomasz Adamek (USA), 5 David Haye (GB), 6 Alexander Povetkin (Russia), 7 Tony Thompson (USA), 8 Tyson Fury (GB), 9 Odlanier Solis (USA), 10 Robert Helenius (Germany).

How they match up

Wladimir Klitschko

PUNCH POWER: Not nicknamed Dr Steelhammer for nothing. Has KO’d 50 of his 59 opponents.

STAMINA: For such a big man he has supreme balance at all stages.

SPEED: Uses top jab to control and set up thunderous straight rights and a powerful left hook.

VERDICT: Because of his size it would take a foolish, or brave, man to bet against him.

David Haye

PUNCH POWER: The Hayemaker is explosive and effective.

STAMINA: Was ‘blowing out of his backside’ early in his career but has improved in recent years.

SPEED: Best asset. Can deliver KO power in the blink of an eye.

VERDICT: Marked Wladimir in late rounds by getting in range — but would need to gamble a bit more and a bit earlier.

Vitali Klitschko

PUNCH POWER: Instead of looking for the big one uses his size and reach advantage to get stoppages.

STAMINA: Dogged determination makes up for anything he lacks.

SPEED: Noticeably slower now. Dereck Chisora gave him a going over until ring nous took control.

VERDICT: Too cautious to really excite fans. At 41, age would be deciding factor in later stages.

What over 40 does he have in mind?

Comment

Can't we get rid of this a**hole?

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if Haye-Povetkin was made.

Comment

Haye can beat MOST of the HW's atm....I don't like the dude but lets be honest....outside of Wlad and maybe 2 or 3 other dudes...Haye can beat them ALL including Vitali imo...but I doubt he's in the game for the glory...dude want them checks...its obvious....not knocking him for that but there's fights for him that hardcore fans would LOVE to see...but like I said, dude chasing checks

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Philadel View Post
            Haye can beat MOST of the HW's atm....I don't like the dude but lets be honest....outside of Wlad and maybe 2 or 3 other dudes...Haye can beat them ALL including Vitali imo...but I doubt he's in the game for the glory...dude want them checks...its obvious....not knocking him for that but there's fights for him that hardcore fans would LOVE to see...but like I said, dude chasing checks
            That's basically it... 'leftovers', as I call him, is running out of money, which I predicted would happen. He needs the Klitschko's to make money,Either that or have freakshow fights with Chisora or some other British HW. Cause they own that division and they get to decide who gets paid. I don't blame him, everyone wants to get paid in full so he's exercising his options.

Comment

What a joke he is... But what the heck, let him fight Povetkin, it's a good fight in all honesty. But Wlad could be fighting Povetkin in August, so then it won't happen.

Time will show.

Comment

Its pretty obvious, Hayemaker are trying to worm their way back into Sky.

If Haye fights a legitimate contender, Sky will air it. If he wins, they'll give him a Box Office fight. That's where the money is at; and that's when the Klitschkos' take an interest.

I wouldn't mind Povetkin-Haye. It'd be a good match-up.
                Last edited by yoz; 03-13-2013, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yoz View Post
                  Its pretty obvious, Hayemaker are trying to worm their way back into Sky.

If Haye fights a legitimate contender, Sky will air it. If he wins, they'll give him a Box Office fight. That's where the money is at; and that's when the Klitschkos' take an interest.

I wouldn't mind Povetkin-Haye. It'd be a good match-up.
                  His retirement announcements have turned out sounding pathetic in this light. The Wlad fight is bothering him immensely, no doubt. He's probably still losing sleep over that fight.

Comment

Wish I could trust that Haye will stick around and be more active..he is the type of guy that can bring up the rest of the division up a notch if he was fighting regularly. It'd open up a whole different set of fights that would be at a championship type skill level that don't really happen at HW these days unless the Klits are involved. I should prob give up that dream though, not sure he'll stick around for all that

Comment

Working...
                    X