Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BEST and WORST Divisions in Boxing right now?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

140 is pretty decent, so is 154, and 160.

147 and 168 is garb.

Comment

Originally posted by hayZ View Post
      Best: 147. Pac/May/Marquez/Ortiz/Bradley/Berto/Guerrero/Alexander. It was 140lb until some of them moved to 147lbs.
      That's like saying that HW is best when it's full of cruisers.

147 is a **** division. The two best fighters won't fight each other and the rest is made up by boxers who don't belong there trying to get a bite at them.

Comment

154 is good with cotto, canelo, trout, martinez

160 has some good fighters and some good prospects

168 is solid as well - problem is ward has beat them all!!!

200+ is the worst

Comment

Name wise, 140-147, but things might change soon.

154 and 160 are also good.

I don't think the mix between Jr Welterweight and WW is such an issue, the 7lbs difference is around 5% at the weigh in, most fighters just need to rehidratate a bit less than usual.

It's not the same for a 200lbs Cruiser though, by fighting a 240lbs guy the difference would be around 16%, 13% by fighting a 230 lbs guy.

As for the worst class, HW.

Comment

I like 160 168 and 147 the most

Comment

Originally posted by BafanaBafana View Post
              I don't know what you're talking about...

160: Martinez, GGG, Chavez Jr., Pirog, Qullin, Geale, Macklin, N'Dam, Sturm, Barker, Murray, Lee

154 is good too: Trout, Mayweather, Cotto, Lara, Vanes, Kirkland, Molina

Weak(lacking in depth) divisions:
              +200: Wladimir, Vitali, Haye, Pulev, Povetkin (no one else really matters at this point)
              200: Yoan Pablo Hernandez, Marco Huck, Wlodarczyk, Lebedev
              130: Uchiyama, Salgado, Gamboa, Rocky Martinez, Burgos
              126: Mikey Garcia, Salido, Ponce de Leon, Abner Mares (moving to 126)
              118: Moreno, Santa Cruz, Yamanaka?, Kameda?
              115: Narvaez, Sato, Cuadras, Sanchez Jr.
              112: Igarashi, Viloria, Tyson Marquez, Mthlane, Reveco
              108: Solis, Roman Gonzalez
              105: Moises Fuentes, Raul Garcia (this may be the weakest division by far)
              I might catch flack for this but I dont really consider 105 a weight class. I cant take a fighter seriously that is at the same weight as the female supermodels ideal. Ricardo Lopez being the exception to the rule.

Comment

Seems like in recent years, 140 has been the hotbed division compared to the historically glamorous welterweight class.

Comment

Hot divisons for me: 140, 154, 160, 168

Worst: probably 135, it is pretty weak.

140, 154 don't really need justification. 160 has a lot of contenders, all are pretty decent. 168 is usually thought of as weak because Ward is top of the pack. But theres so many up and comers, as well as the fights that could be made there. Kessler, Froch, Abraham, Bute (if he returns), Degale, Groves, Dirrell has decided to make a comeback. We can also see what Oosthuizen is going to be like, as well as Rodriguez and also see what Stieglitz does with his career. Best part of 168 is the lack of Goldenboy/Toprank, so matchups can actually be made.

Comment

best 140

worst 130 and 135

Comment

I've been involved in the boxing game for a little over 50 years and the worst heavyweight class is happening right now!!! The Marciano era wasn't much better when you compare talent levels but that era had fighters who came to fight where as this era has a lack of effort to win from my vantage point!

Also the Light Heavy weight class (161-175)lbs is as weak as its ever been, probably the weakest EVER!!

The strongest seems to be 140 thru 160lbs. Welters/Middles! Atleast 12 guys that have decent talent levels to very good talent and most of their efforts are good!

There are a few fighters that are very good technically;
                      Mayweather
                      Marquez
                      Donaire
                      Broner
                      and a few others tht have some pop and look as thogh their ready to make a big splash;
                      Rios
                      GGG
                      Kirkland
                      .......................this is NOT an overly talented era in boxing but if we have some of the above make a concerted effort to get in max condition and be willing to win at all cost we can have some great bouts.

The attention paid to maintaining undefeated status is ruining the oportunity to have better match ups. If the guys like Mayweather weren't in so "easy" as they came up they'd probably have a good fight loss on the record that would have made them much better fighters (ala Leonard vs Duran) in Rays loss it was still one of his best outings!! To many so-called great fighters refuse to challenge themselfs so the boxing scene has become all entertainers instead of "all in fighters"! It maybe good for the individual but it hurts boxing big time!! Ray Corso
                      Last edited by Ray Corso; 02-10-2013, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X