Collapse
No announcement yet.

A big myth regarding Danny Garcia

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garcia is clearly top 3 in the division. I think he'd beat Rios, Matthysse would be a tough fight for him, not sure who takes that. I'd like to see him against more serious challengers though, a Morales rematch and a Judah fight wasn't what a lot of us were hoping for following that big win over Khan.

Khan may or may not beat him in the rematch but the first fight was a clear win and not because of luck. I'd pick Garcia if they faced off again.

Comment

Whilst Khan was not dominating Garcia in a way some people will have you believe, Khan definitely was on top in the first two rounds and looked a class above Garcia even though Garcia was landing with some of those attempted hooks. Garcia was swinging wildy with those same left hooks missing a few and landing a few. You could see a couple of times he came to within inches of them landing clean and i remember thinking at the time if one of those landed it could be good night. Not because Khan had a glass chin but because of the ferociousness of the swings. They would have been a problem for anybody had they landed. When they missed they looked bad and i think that's what slightly plays a part in peoples minds when they underrate Garcia's boxing ability but if they land your gonna be seeing stars.

Now a boxer with an iota of ring iq would have picked up on Garcia's wild swings and would have switched up and at the very least noticed what Garcia was trying to do. Wether they could have prevented them hooks from landing or not is a whole nother story. Khan carried on pittypatting away without even acknowledging how close those earlier left hooks came to landing on his jaw. When one did land cleanly we all know what happened.

I don't understand why Garcia is so underrated. It's as if people go out of their way to underrate him. I too think Garcia would beat Khan again in a rematch but fair play to Khan for wanting the rematch so badly even when it looks like (to me anyway)that Garcia's specialities are the perfect counter for Khan's flaws. I'd certainly look forward to a rematch between the two. The first was a exciting fight even if it was a bit short so i'd look forward to a second.
      Last edited by Roy Jones Jnr; 12-16-2012, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Garcia is too easy to figure out, can you imagine what someone like Bradley would do to him? Take Khan out of the equation and look at Garcia on his own and the rest would come to you.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
          I'd pick Matthysse over him and probably to stop him but I feel Lucas is the best 140lb fighter on the planet right about now. Maidana is garbage, I'd take Garcia over him in a heartbeat. People talk about Garcia having limitations, Maidana is severely limited and still living off beating a quitter 5 years ago whose never amounted to anything but a laughing stock.
          I agree with you Dan. People on this board never cease to amaze me. They talk about Danny being limited, which I agree he is, but then turn around and praise a guy like Canelo. Canelo is much better than Danny in terms of physical attributes. He's faster, stronger, etc etc (i know he's in a higher weight class), but in terms of boxing skills, they're on the same page. The difference is people give Canelo a pass to "improve" and "get better" but not Danny.

Danny is in the same position many other boxers have been. Promotors are giving him time to expand and improve his game. He's marketable to a big audience so they're bringing him along slowly as other boxers are being brought up slowly. Main difference is Danny is defending his belt against someone who's rated in the top 10 JWW's. He's got a decent resume if you ask me, THEOPHANE, Campbell, Holt, Morales, and Khan. I can appreciate him not having a padded record and not beating on tomato cans and fighters 2 weight classes below him, but smoke and mirrors shows are great and people are easily impressed by that kind of thing.

My point isn't Canelo in this rant but it's the fact that "fans" give passes to some boxers but not to others. I guess it depends on who you like though, anyone else just sucks right?

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
            Maidana has underrated footspeed, can fight inside and is devastating against opponents who will indulge him in a fight.

Him against garcia is not a foregone conclusion at all imo

I agree with your points above, I actually feel Ashley Theophane exposed Garcia for not being great at range. I felt that fight could of gone either way actually & IMO Maidana's footwork has improved under Garcia. I don't think hes as flat footed as he was before and he can certainly cut a ring off better. Before I felt he just plodded forward following guys.

He has improved but I still see a very limited guy and tbh I don't think he has looked in very good shape in his last two fights.
            Everytime I see him I am convinced if guys went to his body they'd stop him.
            Tough, proud guy with a 'glass body' like a Mr Brian Magee.

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeVen0m View Post
              I agree with you Dan. People on this board never cease to amaze me. They talk about Danny being limited, which I agree he is, but then turn around and praise a guy like Canelo. Canelo is much better than Danny in terms of physical attributes. He's faster, stronger, etc etc (i know he's in a higher weight class), but in terms of boxing skills, they're on the same page. The difference is people give Canelo a pass to "improve" and "get better" but not Danny.
              No.

Posters from Philly need to STFU about Garcia, all of them bang on about he's underrated and a great fighter etc

your almost as bad as me with british fighters

Comment

Yes Garcia was gettin handled, yes Amir was dominating. Danny caught lightning in a bottle and Ko'd Khan. He gotta worry about Zab before thinkin about Khan. Yes Zab's hand speed regardless of age will give Garcia trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by hoggin303 View Post
                  Yes Garcia was gettin handled, yes Amir was dominating. Danny caught lightning in a bottle and Ko'd Khan. He gotta worry about Zab before thinkin about Khan. Yes Zab's hand speed regardless of age will give Garcia trouble.
                  Judah has no chin. Garcia will end this before the third round.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                    I agree with your points above, I actually feel Ashley Theophane exposed Garcia for not being great at range. I felt that fight could of gone either way actually & IMO Maidana's footwork has improved under Garcia. I don't think hes as flat footed as he was before and he can certainly cut a ring off better. Before I felt he just plodded forward following guys.

He has improved but I still see a very limited guy and tbh I don't think he has looked in very good shape in his last two fights.
                    Everytime I see him I am convinced if guys went to his body they'd stop him.
                    Tough, proud guy with a 'glass body' like a Mr Brian Magee.
                    Yeah his body isn't too solid, I actually wouldn't be surprised to hear he's a smoker?

BTW I would pick Garcia to beat Khan in a rematch at the moment, Khans attitude last night disappointed me, after showing some good first steps to improving in the ring. Hunter has his hands full I feel

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
                      No.

Posters from Philly need to STFU about Garcia, all of them bang on about he's underrated and a great fighter etc

your almost as bad as me with british fighters
                      Ok you make a valid point, Canelo may be slighter better than Garcia in terms of pure boxing skills, but just how much better is he?!? That's comparing decent to fairly decent. He's a ****ing champion, time to defend the belt against a top 10 contender @ 154. I'm not a big Garcia fan, but I respect what he's accomplished so far in his young career, something that you won't do. He's got some good names under his resume no padded record and is fighting guys in HIS weight class. Yes he's limited at what he does, he's not the fastest, not the strongest, but he's willing to fight and has heart. Either way, I know I won't change your mind but I would like to honestly know what is it that you dislike about him so much? That he's KO'd 1 and beat another one of your lads or something?

Comment

Working...
                      X