Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 10-11-2017, 02:07 PM #1
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
SBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 10,005,398,380.27
for being a heavyweight in history section - led wipe your dirty mouth - -Ironmike- I heard you like men - -Ironmike- The "I hate Tyson" award of the year - -Ironmike- Good posts. - Barnburner 
No Message - -jose- you suck dick, i will kick you. - Weltschmerz training for your debut to suck dick,! - Weltschmerz 
Default If Andre Ward is genuinely retired...

Where does he stand all-time? Top 150? Top 200? Top 100?

Where does he rank all-time at 168 (obviously not the deepest division historically)?
SBleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 10-11-2017, 05:39 PM #2
KING!!

Quoted: 3104 Post(s)
Sadiqkingofko has a reputation beyond reputeSadiqkingofko has a reputation beyond reputeSadiqkingofko has a reputation beyond reputeSadiqkingofko has a reputation beyond reputeSadiqkingofko has a reputation beyond reputeSadiqkingofko has a reputation beyond reputeSadiqkingofko has a reputation beyond reputeSadiqkingofko has a reputation beyond reputeSadiqkingofko has a reputation beyond reputeSadiqkingofko has a reputation beyond reputeSadiqkingofko has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 273,026,436,164.04
Total Points: 1,100,000,058,027,086,208.00
You know you ain't so bad, cheers bro, no harsh feelings! Fcuk KKK and BLM - King Krusher Merry Christmas - TBear No Message - -jose- It's about money - Nomadic No Message - Snoop Frog 

At 168 #1, #2 is Froch, #3 is Calzghe
Sadiqkingofko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:34 PM #3
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1344 Post(s)
billeau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 2,100,314,215.43
Grade A explanation of punching technique. - - Ram Raid - Knowledgeable - -Weltschmerz- Happy holidays and best wishes for 2016 - -Weltschmerz- Lmao - -Scott-Weiland- 

The sands of time must shape the landscape. I love Ward and will always be a fan of his, realistically?

To me as far as athletic ability he was very average. he had good strength, ok speed.

His fundamentals were exceptional and perhaps ATG level, very accurate puncher, good power when motivated, excellent reflexive adjustments, could fight at all ranges, Ward set traps and employed sophisticated set ups with ease and was excellent defensively.

Ward could do a lot of things, could beat you a lot of ways...He has that ATG level thang where, his actions make the other guy fall short, so that if he was fighting Roy Jones for example, and if he won, Jones would not be able to get to Ward because Ward's body attack and distancing would prevent Roy from jumping in with the hook, etc. im speaking totally hypothetically here to make a point, not talk about this match up. This is what Ward did to Dawson...watch the tape lol.

Ward fought the best comp he could and made it look easy beating the best out there in his division and this is where he rings ATG to me. Unlike Floyd and Jones, Ward fought the best of his class when they were the best and made it look easy.

When I think of a similar type of fighter lets look for a moment at Charley Burley...i know i know, we only have that one fight on tape, but if one watches Burley he is defensively brilliant, accurate as a sniper with his punches, does not waste any energy, and makes the opponent fight at his speed. I think Ward has a similar command of the fundamentals and operates a lot like Charlie.

I don't know where he will wind up, lets see who comes a cropper while he is gone... But I think Ward was a fantastic fighter in many respects...never the pure athletic pedigree of a Pernell Whitaker, or Jones, but a guy who made some of the other athletic guys across the ring, get real uiet...guys like Froch who was such a killer before Ward tamed him lol.

Last edited by billeau2; 10-11-2017 at 07:36 PM.
billeau2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:40 PM #4
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Anthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 49,841,120,285.33
Total Points: 169,956,355,507.27
Good Poster with an open mind. - Barnburner Merry Christmas Anthony! keep on postin - The Surgeon For always keeping your cool and objectivity - BKM-2010 

Was going to ask about Ward myself. Where does he rank at 175 during his era or 2016-2017 when he fought at that weight?
Anthony342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:54 AM #5
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 2117 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 6,000,000,000,229,388.00
Long Overdue. For your contribution to NSB. - 1hourRun 

Would Ward rank higher at 168 than Roy Jones?
OctoberRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:38 AM #6
Dallas Cowboys

Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
JAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 236,430,885,785,550,487,552.00
Total Points: 236,430,885,785,550,651,392.00
For posting endless wisdom - Massage Queen keep dropping knowledge jabs - Makavelli To my friend Jab. One of the SUPERstars of Boxingscene. - BattlingNelson A toast homey. Here's to one of the site's best posters. - mangler Keeping History Alive - 0Rooster4Life0 
Although we may disagree, I completely understand you. - Dominicano Soy! A lucky charm 4 ya homey - mangler To my boy JAB for keeping it real at all times - Kevin Jesus To a cool guy - Stoppage for being a heavyweight in history section - led 
For a friend and a guy who really knows his stuff. - Lorily Great Poster and Moderator. - Barnburner For your boxing knowledge and insightful threads. - Barnburner For being a noble gent and for top posts! - Sugarj To one of the nicest members on this forum. Knows boxing also! - Terry A 
For all the Boxing knowledge shared - BulgariasFinest For a great guy - jazluvr Thanks for your continued friendship &amp; for sharing your wealth of boxing knowledge w/ us! - Terry A Cheers mate. Loving the section. - BennyST Apologies for any misunderstanding.  Cheers. - HAMMER77777 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 

At 168 he's probably number one. The division just isn't very deep. All time? This is a tough question. Probably in the top 200. His stock may go up depending on what Kov can accomplish without him in the division. There have been a ton of guys with stacked resumes though and Ward, with as few fights as he's had was not lucky enough to fight and beat the type of comp SRL did to really make an impact with so few fights. Jmo.
JAB5239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:56 AM #7
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Anthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 49,841,120,285.33
Total Points: 169,956,355,507.27
Good Poster with an open mind. - Barnburner Merry Christmas Anthony! keep on postin - The Surgeon For always keeping your cool and objectivity - BKM-2010 

What about at 175?
Anthony342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:14 AM #8
Banned

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Jennets Holey is a jewel in the roughJennets Holey is a jewel in the roughJennets Holey is a jewel in the rough
Total Points: 1,118.25

Quote:
Originally Posted by billeau2 View Post
The sands of time must shape the landscape. I love Ward and will always be a fan of his, realistically?

To me as far as athletic ability he was very average. he had good strength, ok speed.

His fundamentals were exceptional and perhaps ATG level, very accurate puncher, good power when motivated, excellent reflexive adjustments, could fight at all ranges, Ward set traps and employed sophisticated set ups with ease and was excellent defensively.

Ward could do a lot of things, could beat you a lot of ways...He has that ATG level thang where, his actions make the other guy fall short, so that if he was fighting Roy Jones for example, and if he won, Jones would not be able to get to Ward because Ward's body attack and distancing would prevent Roy from jumping in with the hook, etc. im speaking totally hypothetically here to make a point, not talk about this match up. This is what Ward did to Dawson...watch the tape lol.

Ward fought the best comp he could and made it look easy beating the best out there in his division and this is where he rings ATG to me. Unlike Floyd and Jones, Ward fought the best of his class when they were the best and made it look easy.

When I think of a similar type of fighter lets look for a moment at Charley Burley...i know i know, we only have that one fight on tape, but if one watches Burley he is defensively brilliant, accurate as a sniper with his punches, does not waste any energy, and makes the opponent fight at his speed. I think Ward has a similar command of the fundamentals and operates a lot like Charlie.

I don't know where he will wind up, lets see who comes a cropper while he is gone... But I think Ward was a fantastic fighter in many respects...never the pure athletic pedigree of a Pernell Whitaker, or Jones, but a guy who made some of the other athletic guys across the ring, get real uiet...guys like Froch who was such a killer before Ward tamed him lol.
if that was true he wouldnt of had to rely on headbuting and clinching and lowblowing and having a ref and judges in his pocket
Jennets Holey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:34 AM #9
Dallas Cowboys

Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
JAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 236,430,885,785,550,487,552.00
Total Points: 236,430,885,785,550,651,392.00
For posting endless wisdom - Massage Queen keep dropping knowledge jabs - Makavelli To my friend Jab. One of the SUPERstars of Boxingscene. - BattlingNelson A toast homey. Here's to one of the site's best posters. - mangler Keeping History Alive - 0Rooster4Life0 
Although we may disagree, I completely understand you. - Dominicano Soy! A lucky charm 4 ya homey - mangler To my boy JAB for keeping it real at all times - Kevin Jesus To a cool guy - Stoppage for being a heavyweight in history section - led 
For a friend and a guy who really knows his stuff. - Lorily Great Poster and Moderator. - Barnburner For your boxing knowledge and insightful threads. - Barnburner For being a noble gent and for top posts! - Sugarj To one of the nicest members on this forum. Knows boxing also! - Terry A 
For all the Boxing knowledge shared - BulgariasFinest For a great guy - jazluvr Thanks for your continued friendship &amp; for sharing your wealth of boxing knowledge w/ us! - Terry A Cheers mate. Loving the section. - BennyST Apologies for any misunderstanding.  Cheers. - HAMMER77777 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennets Holey View Post
if that was true he wouldnt of had to rely on headbuting and clinching and lowblowing and having a ref and judges in his pocket
Can you show ANY proof he had refs and judges in his pocket? Not conjecture, but actual proof.
JAB5239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:10 AM #10
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 2117 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 6,000,000,000,229,388.00
Long Overdue. For your contribution to NSB. - 1hourRun 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennets Holey View Post
Holyfield and Hopkins had dirty tactics of their own, so did many, many others.

Kovalev went from a feared killer to a crybaby. I thought he dropped the ball in the rematch.
OctoberRed is online now   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
andre, genuinely, retired..., ward

User Tag List