Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sergio Martinez.Very good fighter or GREAT fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you win the big important fights, against tough fighters that you have to win to advance in your career, I think you're great. He beat Williams in the rematch in a way that no one thought he would do it, he beat Pavlik, he won a very important fight against Chavez Jr. He beat the other guys he was supposed to beat to get to the top like Macklin and Dzinzuruk. He is also The Ring champion of his division. If you want to be called great, at least be considered "the man to beat" or AKA hold the Ring or Lineal title of a division. Sergio has done that and I think he will hold it for a while. It's not just being The Ring champion that makes you great, Martinez worked hard for it.

Off topic: For example Danny Garcia is The Ring champion at 140 but he is not great, he has a lot of ground to cover. I think he became champion fairly quickly which shows he has a lot of potential to be great. Garcia has already won the important fights of his early career against tough fighters; Judah will be the last of his early career tough fights, now he's going on to his mid career where it matters most.

Comment

Sergio Martinez is a good top 10 p4p fighter at the minute but he ain't great , he ain't even in the top 50 middleweights ! He ain't no match for Robinson,haggler,Hopkins ect...

Comment

Fought Nothing but top fighters in his class and dominated all so i say great no question.

Comment

Big fan of Martinez and although he might not be considered a "Great" fighter compared to the likes of a Ali, Duran, Chavez (Senior), ect. He most certainly has or had (because of age factor) the potential. He's a very very good fighter. Just shy of greatness.

Comment

He got stopped by a good WW, he recently beat a "green" middleweght and all through his career has never fought a "great fighter"! He is technically sound as a mover who throws in combination, rarely initiates anything and has decent pop to his best shots. He is NOT a great fighter, case in point he would have stopped Junior after the 9th round. He never stepped in and put pressure on him or atleast the ref to stop a one sided bout. Then in the end almost got stopped because he lacked the "ability" to end the bout. He's pretty good, he has an unappealing style to me but he is game!
            It would be nice to see him in there against other middleweights why he is talking about "going down" in weight to challenge smaller men is concerning to me. I can understand trying to get some Floyd money thrown his way but most men who move their weight move up not down! Good fighter/not great!
            Ray.

Comment

Without a doubt a great fighter. He's been through so much adversity and come back to win.

I'm Mexican if that matters.

Comment

I voted very good. Maybe if he had started much younger he would have perfected his skills to the level I would consider great.

Comment

very good imo

Comment

Good fighter in a poor era.

Comment

Nigel Benn is a 'very good' MW-SMW. How will Sergio do against Benn?

Comment

Working...
                      X