New Great Max Kellerman Interview -he wants Martinez vs Golovkin-

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I disagree with 2 things

1. I think the best action fight is Froch vs Pavlik
    2. The athletic traits required for football and boxing are so totally different it just would never work. The guys who are "born to play football" such as Patrick Willis or Rob Gronkowski have athletic traits to play a couple 7 second spurts while drinking gatorade for 2 hours Football players also have much slower reflexes than most other high level athletes.
    Last edited by SCtrojansbaby; 10-05-2012, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
      I disagree with 2 things

1. I think the best action fight is Froch vs Pavlik
      2. The athletic traits required for football and boxing are so totally different it just would never work. The guys who are "born to play football" such as Patrick Willis or Rob Gronkowski have athletic traits to play a couple 7 second spurts while drinking gatorade for 2 hours Football players also have much slower reflexes than most other high level athletes.
      That's why he said you get the in the gym at 12, not when they're Willis or Gronkowski's age. At 12, a naturally athletic kid [who's used to a contact sport where 7-second spurts rule] can develop as a fighter later on. It's not a bad idea considering how "fast" most heavyweights reflexes are.

Comment

I'm fine with Martinez going money hunting, he's near the end of his career and deserves that kind of money. On the flipside though, if he takes a fight that isn't as appealing as Golovkin and wouldn't generate as much money.... then I'm against it

Comment

Originally posted by davis828 View Post
          That's why he said you get the in the gym at 12, not when they're Willis or Gronkowski's age. At 12, a naturally athletic kid [who's used to a contact sport where 7-second spurts rule] can develop as a fighter later on. It's not a bad idea considering how "fast" most heavyweights reflexes are.
          Gronkowski's and Willis' bodies even at 12 years were bound to develop in a way that gives them great explosiveness but poor stamina which is perfect for football but terrible for Combat sports.

Also the heavyweights you think have slow reflexes would look like Pacquiao in the ring with your pro bowl TE or DE. Reflexes just don't need to be developed in football compared to most other sports especially boxing/combat sports.

Comment

I think the best action fight is Froch vs Pavlik
            I think it's Pascal vs Cloud.

Comment

GG is only rated by the WBA.... I doubt Geale fights him before he fights Sergio... Golovkin is in a tough spot.... Maybe he could go the Pirog route again.?.?.?

Comment

Gronkowski's and Willis' bodies even at 12 years were bound to develop in a way that gives them great explosiveness but poor stamina which is perfect for football but terrible for Combat sports.

Also the heavyweights you think have slow reflexes would look like Pacquiao in the ring with your pro bowl TE or DE. Reflexes just don't need to be developed in football compared to most other sports especially boxing/combat sports.
                Gronkowski and Willis are linebackers, not defensive ends. Julius Peppers vs. Jake Long.

Comment

I've read that Basketball players would transition better to boxing than football players

Lebron James could've been heavyweight champ more likely than say Demarcus Ware because punching power comes from your legs and more football players are top heavy while basketball players are more evenly built

Comment

How, exactly, do you know that? You don't, especially at such a young age when some kids haven't even started developing physically. Just like any other sport, if you start training and dedicate yourself to the sport, you become conditioned to perform better at that sport than others. Look at Jordan; if he stuck with baseball and focused on the sport, he would have been better at it, but he didn't. Kendall Gill competed as an amateur fighter when he was a kid, but he chose to pursue basketball and eventually played a number of years in the NBA. He then went back to boxing, but only had two or three fights if I remember correctly. He was conditioned for basketball, not boxing.

Like I said, it's a better idea to take a kid at 12 years old who's played contact sports like football or rugby, and if they focus solely on boxing, could become a champ later on as opposed to taking Willis or Gron and saying let's find the next great American heavy.

By any chance, did you even know Willis and Gron when they were 12?
                    Last edited by deejd; 10-05-2012, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Finally someone with a back bone. After GGG knockout and how the forums exploded and with Serg winning this fight at Middleweight made TOO much sense but certain posters hatred for Mayweather just wouldn't let them admit it.

Comment

Working...
                      X