need help from fighters/trainers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help from fighters/trainers

Hi guys first post .

Im a Amateur featherweight. My problem is that I'm very short (around 5.38 feet) so I have some trouble getting close to the other fighter.

Just wondering if you guys have some tips on what to do.
    I was thinking, because Im so short it's hard for me to jab him away instead I thought maybe I should dodge his punch and dash in under him. But I do now know how good that plan actully is.
    And do you guys think i should work on my strenght alot? Or should I work more on my speed.

Thx for any reply .

Originally posted by zip
    Hi guys first post .

Im a Amateur featherweight. My problem is that I'm very short (around 5.38 feet) so I have some trouble getting close to the other fighter.

Just wondering if you guys have some tips on what to do.
    I was thinking, because Im so short it's hard for me to jab him away instead I thought maybe I should dodge his punch and dash in under him. But I do now know how good that plan actully is.
    And do you guys think i should work on my strenght alot? Or should I work more on my speed.

Thx for any reply .
    A height disadvantage can be a bit tricky but as long as you are keeping your boxing skills intact and not going to war, I think you should be fine.

Your best bet would to keep your punches straight and if you can do a bit of counter punching and NO LOOPING PUNCHES, One thing to your advantage would be able to pivot yourself and come up from under (understand that?) and throw a uppercut....

WORK THAT BODY! But keep your punches straight.

Comment

THX!

yes i got to work on my uppercuts.
      but i dont know what looping punches are. You see im from sweden so im not 100% sure of all the terms used.

Comment

Originally posted by zip
        THX!

yes i got to work on my uppercuts.
        but i dont know what looping punches are. You see im from sweden so im not 100% sure of all the terms used.

Basically dont throw to many hooks and if you do dont make them wide like swinging crazy, Also Id keep hooks to a minimum and only use them when you see your opponent is a bit weary.

Work the body with straights and if you can get inside hooks to the body and jabs to the face...Beat the body and you will kill the head.

Comment

If you are short there are a couple of things you can do that will turn what seems like a disadvantage into an advantage. Use a head faint (keep moving and dipping to get in close if your moving your obviously a harder target to hit. Also keep the jab going especially when your trying to get in close. Then once your in tight use your height to your advantage go hard to the body.
          Good luck

Comment

Thx everyone!

I try to use this when in my next sparring.

Comment

get your trainer/or someone to teach you how to slip, dodge,bob and weave punches. When sparring try new things,like blocking there jab by turning your body to the right in a clockwise fashion. in this position your left glove or arm blocks the punch , then as ou turn back to your original position throw your right hand followed by a flurry of punches. REMEMBER: try not to get nervous about getting in close, becos everyone gets hit! Also,when they hit you try to hit the area ofthe body left open...

Comment

Just remember, ur opponent will always leave one part of the body open when throwing a punch.

Comment

make a thunder out from the under,,,

Comment

I was 5'6 and competed at 125 for awhile as an amateur, let me give this one a crack. I suggest you work on your speed, shadow boxing and all the stuff. Work on your movement, dashing in and out as the guy follows you around. Get good head movement and learn how to counter of it. But never stop jabbing, jab really quick. Always keep something in his face.

Comment

Working...
                    X