No announcement yet.

If Thomas Hearns fought today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Thomas Hearns fought today

Would he be the best pound for pound? He wouldn't be fighting guys like Leonard and Hagler and he could collect titles like they do today.

I think he would dominate 147-175 pounds!

Originally posted by miamike View Post
    Would he be the best pound for pound? He wouldn't be fighting guys like Leonard and Hagler and he could collect titles like they do today.

You mean 147-168 he would've moved up a lot faster that's for sure but he would dominate no doubt he would also be shut out avoided.
    But he'd lose at 168 a few times being that he was big for his time and everyone there is his size or bigger and there's a few good punches I think he'd blow out zags Kessler froch but have tough fights with ward and Direll.

He would also possibly have problem with a 160 pavlik being he had a good Jab and thunderous right hand if he gets caught it could be a problem I don't see him knocking out pavlik.

Imagine a Abraham hearns fight be the funniest **** ever

Comment

Hearn's only real weakness was his punch resistance and it was in evidence whichever weight he fought at. It wasn't terrible by any means, and even when hurt.....his fighting heart was strong.

If we were to take the last five years as Hearn's prime from say 1981-86 then yes, I'd be inclined to say that 'overall' he would dominate welterweight through to middleweight. But thats not to say that he would remain undefeated by any means. I could see some of the more percussive punchers scoring KO/TKOs in behind points victories. Pacquiou would have a shot at welterweight. Even prime middleweight Abraham would have a puncher's chance.

There isn't anyone who I would expect to beat Hearns in a three fight series though between welterweight and middleweight. Thats why I say 'overall' dominance.

Later on he'd certainly have world class victories at super middleweight or light heavyweight too......

Comment

Hearns was on another level, he could outbox most of these guys. But add his right hand to the mix and I agree he would have his way.

Comment

Originally posted by MRBOOMER View Post
          You mean 147-168 he would've moved up a lot faster that's for sure but he would dominate no doubt he would also be shut out avoided.
          Not sure why you say this (the bolded portion).

Hearns would crucify anyone from 147 to 154 today. Mayweather might see the final bell. Pacquiao? No chance.
          Last edited by SBleeder; 07-10-2012, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by miamike View Post

He'd probably dominate from 147-160, but after that he'd have problems with guys like Ward, Dawson, and even Froch.

Comment

....He'd be a gazillionaire.

...I'm not gonna even MENTION 147 to 160.

...I think he'd have THE BEST JAB in the Super Middleweight Division...AND
              the best right hand.

...He'd be a top 5 LHW I believe.

Comment

Aa really good welter but above 147 he didn't bring his punch with him. big losses to hagler, barkley two times one a ko and down against singletary proves over 147 there was no real power at all.

Comment

Originally posted by theproof View Post
                  Aa really good welter but above 147 he didn't bring his punch with him. big losses to hagler, barkley two times one a ko and down against singletary proves over 147 there was no real power at all.
                  Ever watch the Duran fight?

The second knockdown in the rematch with Sugar Ray Leonard looked to me like Ray was lucky to survive.............let alone blag a draw.

Comment

he would dominate to the point where ppl would rank him alongside SRR, armstrong and ali once he retired. and i dont mean the way flomos and pactards rank their man crushes up there, i mean real boxing fans who know and love the sport rather than a single fighter would rank hearns up there.

Comment

Working...
                    X