Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POLL: Is Floyd now higher on the ATG List then Lewis? Will he be when he's done?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

really...Lewis' claim to fame is beating 35+ past prime Holyfield and Tyson...had good wins over Morrison, Ruddock, Mercer and others but Mayweather was waaaay more skilled, has a better resume, is just clear as day a better fighter..also had those blunders against Rahman and McCall..Lennox Lewis is a great heavyweight but for people to criticize Floyd 's resume(who has beaten 17 world champion) check out Lewis', his is good at best.

If someone beats Mayweather it wont be because he was ill prepared or took them lightly and thats something Lennox has done and that has to count when gauging greatness

Comment

Id have him over Lewis pretty handily, but I'm not fond of putting heavyweights to highly on p4p lists to begin with, Ali and Louis being the exceptions. I also think Floyd ranks either #1 and no lower than 2 at 130 while having Lewis 6th at heavyweight.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
        really...Lewis' claim to fame is beating 35+ past prime Holyfield and Tyson...had good wins over Morrison, Ruddock, Mercer and others but Mayweather was waaaay more skilled, has a better resume, is just clear as day a better fighter..also had those blunders against Rahman and McCall..Lennox Lewis is a great heavyweight but for people to criticize Floyd 's resume(who has beaten 17 world champion) check out Lewis', his is good at best.

If someone beats Mayweather it wont be because he was ill prepared or took them lightly and thats something Lennox has done and that has to count when gauging greatness
        except.. it's the heavyweight division . not a tiny man's division.

Name me 2 ATG Heavyweights

JUST NAME TWO.. that did not lose to inferior opposition
        go on

name TWO ATG HEAVYWEIGHTS that did not lose ever to inferior opposite.

It's the HW Division. boxing's premier and biggest. You get ko by a single lucky punch. So that is very different. but I get your point of Lewis losing to Rahman and Mccall

Except Lewis was robbed against Mccall, and he avenged both defeats anyways in brutal and I mean brutal fashion

Comment

Yes. Obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
            Id have him over Lewis pretty handily, but I'm not fond of putting heavyweights to highly on p4p lists to begin with, Ali and Louis being the exceptions. I also think Floyd ranks either #1 and no lower than 2 at 130 while having Lewis 6th at heavyweight.
            Great post thank you.
            That's why I wanted to make a poll on this non bias site. A site where Lewis is not guarantee to win every single poll out of existence.

Comment

I love both guys, but I had Floyd ahead of him since the Del Hoya victory. When you start comparing similar resumes, when one was devastated twice, I don't think it can be ignored. Floyd's last 5 fights have just added to his legacy in a pretty big way and isn't really a question anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHayeMaker View Post
                Obviously I just want great opinions like the one 'corner eagle' gave. Every site will have different opinions

on that 'other' site it will be 99 to 1 in favor of Lewis. That was too bias for me, hopefully I get some more well thought out opinions
                You are a good poster man. While I probably would have had Floyd ahead before Cotto as well, it's not a totally stupid question. What's stupid when people compare Floyd's '0' to Marciano's '0'. Because Floyd is far and away much greater than Marciano ever hoped to be.

I'd rank Floyd All-Time around the Top 30 or so. Lewis, I'm not sure, I'd have to really think about it.

People always discredit the Holyfield win because he was past his prime, but he was still good, he wasn't totally past it. When Lennox fought him, he was coming off beating Tyson when he could still fight, Moorer, and Bean. He was #3 P4P.

And it's not Lennox's fault that Riddick Bowe, what would have been maybe the biggest HW showdown of that era probably, straight up refused to fight him. And I think Riddick Bowe is great, was a great great HW. But that wasn't Lennox's fault.

The "big" win on Lennox's resume which was sort of ehhhh was Tyson. Even though he was the #2 HW, he hadn't had a good win since Botha in 99' 3 years earlier.
                Last edited by 4Corners; 05-09-2012, 03:53 PM.

Comment

I don't believe that.
                  I will not say you never watched Lewis or the HW'S during the 90's because I don't know that. But a comment like that make it seem like you didn't.

A lot of Lewis's wins are massively underrated

Say the 1 minute ko of Andrew Golota. Golota destroyed a semi prime Bowe back to back heading into that fight and was a vegas favorite.

He won like 11 of 12 Rounds against a still very good Holyfield.

Who did Floyd beat as of right now that was as good as the 98-99 version of Holyfield?

beating a 37 year old Holyfield aint all that impressive considering he was on the slide since '93....of name value wide its the biggest name on either guys resume but best win not at all

Mayweather beating Jose Luis Castillo in a rematch to a fight many thought he lost, who went on to become lineal champion and fight on the greatest title fights of all time is better to me

As was being an 18 fight pro and beating a future hall of famer in your first championship fight...Hernandez only lost to a much larger ODLH at lightweight

Comment

The losses to Mccall and Rahman are why I rank Mayweather above Lewis.

Comment

except.. it's the heavyweight division . not a tiny man's division.

Name me 2 ATG Heavyweights

JUST NAME TWO.. that did not lose to inferior opposition
                      go on

name TWO ATG HEAVYWEIGHTS that did not lose ever to inferior opposite.

It's the HW Division. boxing's premier and biggest. You get ko by a single lucky punch. So that is very different. but I get your point of Lewis losing to Rahman and Mccall

Except Lewis was robbed against Mccall, and he avenged both defeats anyways in brutal and I mean brutal fashion
                      In their prime? ....Joe Frazier, Muhammad Ali, Holyfield....Lennox Lewis was in his prime for that lose to McCall, he did avenge it though...Rahman even though he was older i just think he took dude far too lightly

Comment

Working...
                      X