Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just How Big Of A Fvaourite Was Hearns Over Leonard in 1981?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just How Big Of A Fvaourite Was Hearns Over Leonard in 1981?

Is it true Hearns was a HUGE better favourite and that people were going as far at to bet there houses on him and thousands & thousands of dollars on him?

I don't recall Hearns being a big favorite at all. He was ever so slightly the bookies favorite, probably because up to that point Leonard already had a career loss (to Duran) and Hearns was undefeated and clearly in his prime.

There may have been some big bets on Hearns, every superfight has them. But true boxing fans knew that this was a tough fight to call.

Comment

Originally posted by Perfect Plex View Post
      Is it true Hearns was a HUGE better favourite and that people were going as far at to bet there houses on him and thousands & thousands of dollars on him?

From what I've heard the odds were even but a surge from Hearns supporters put money on Hearns late to lift him to a 6-5 betting favorite. Maybe somebody else here with better information than I have can explain this.

Comment

As I recall it was a 50/50 fight. Certainly neither was favoured big.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
          As I recall it was a 50/50 fight. Certainly neither was favoured big.
          That is true. If one of them was favored it was just by a whisker.

Comment

Originally posted by Perfect Plex View Post
            Fans from Detroit were betting on him BECAUSE he wasn't a huge favorite. Easy money, or so they thought.

Comment

Boxing Greats opinions.

"I like Tommy Hearns he's such a good puncher that most people overlook his boxing ability, he's got great use of his left hand mobility and speed" - Eddie Futch

"Sugar Ray has to come to Hearns to make the fight, that will be his downfall, Hearns has the punching power, boxing ability and physical advantage to control the bout" - Sandy Saddler.

"As the fight goes on, Leonard will lose his power because he'll be frustrated by Hearns's height and reach." - Alexis Arguello

"Thomas will dominate Leonard completely. He hits too hard and too often. Ray is not used to that kind of punishment. I beat Hearns the amateurs but, he was a different type of fighter then, he'll knock out Leonard in the middle rounds. - None other than Mr Pryor

"Leonard is smarter, faster, very hard to hit. Hearns has to hit his opponent to feel encouraged and Leonard is not the kind to get hit hard too often." - Jose Torres

" I just don't know, whoever wants it most will win it."(but neither of them can carry my joskstrap.) - Larry Holmes

Comment

I've heard that the odds were 7-5 in Hearns' favor, he wasn't the favorite by much.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                  I don't recall Hearns being a big favorite at all. He was ever so slightly the bookies favorite, probably because up to that point Leonard already had a career loss (to Duran) and Hearns was undefeated and clearly in his prime.

There may have been some big bets on Hearns, every superfight has them. But true boxing fans knew that this was a tough fight to call.
                  thats right. in fact leonard was the favourite in the weeks leading up to the fight. only when the fight drew near and all the ppl from detroit got to vegas did hearns become a slight favourite.

leonard had lots of fans but nobody at that time brought as many ppl with him for fights as hearns did, he was such a hero in detroit. they came over and started making bets and by the time the fight started hearns was a favourite with the odds makers.

Comment

Working...
                  X