No announcement yet.

Just how good was Gerald McClellan?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just how good was Gerald McClellan?

I wasn't old enough around his prime and i'm watching his fight against benn...was he still in his prime then? Seemed like a typical manny steward fighter, once benn was able to slip his jab he wasn't as effective. I also read somewhere that he made his condition worse by travelling back to america although the doctors told him not to

He wasn't good, he was great.

Comment

He was great.

Comment

Beatable once you got past the early rounds against him. Unfortunately 99% of boxers did not have the ability to do that. A big-time weight-cutter who hit like a ton of bricks at middleweight, and had good offensive skills instilled to him by Stewart. Lacked in the defensive department and in stamina. Made up for it with a very solid chin, but the lack of defense and his toughness ultimately proved his downfall.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
          Beatable once you got past the early rounds against him. Unfortunately 99% of boxers did not have the ability to do that. A big-time weight-cutter who hit like a ton of bricks at middleweight, and had good offensive skills instilled to him by Stewart. Lacked in the defensive department and in stamina. Made up for it with a very solid chin, but the lack of defense and his toughness ultimately proved his downfall.
          The lack of defense and head movement when he was in destroy mode, which was most of the time, definitely hurt him. But the incessant rabbit punching sure didn't seem to help. Not to mention the stuff he went through pre-fight.

He was a good amateur though too, but probably would've eventually been a better pro. His style was better suited for the pros, without a doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by 01samuelc View Post
            I wasn't old enough around his prime and i'm watching his fight against benn...was he still in his prime then? Seemed like a typical manny steward fighter, once benn was able to slip his jab he wasn't as effective. I also read somewhere that he made his condition worse by travelling back to america although the doctors told him not to
            He beat Roy Jones in the amateurs...check out his fights with Julian Jackson...wow.

Comment

Mt first fight was Benn Vs Mcclelan. He could have been a lot more famous, mentioned not with Nunn etc but with Toney, Hopkin's and Jones.

Comment

He was ok.

Comment

he was ducked by RJJ as a pro...........

Comment

i wanna know how he got those two early losses

Comment

Working...
                    X