Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

View Poll Results: How hard did Marciano hit compared to Foreman, Liston, Shavers, Tyson
Harder than them all 2 10.53%
As hard as Foreman and Shavers, harder than Liston and Tyson 3 15.79%
Not quite Foreman and Shavers but harder than the rest 6 31.58%
Marciano's power is overarted he did not hit as hard as the above heavyweights 8 42.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2011, 04:25 PM #1
Interim Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kendom is a name known to allkendom is a name known to allkendom is a name known to allkendom is a name known to allkendom is a name known to allkendom is a name known to all
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 6,191,983.15
Default How hard did Marciano hit compared to heavyweights like Foreman, Liston, Shavers

Some say his power is overrated, others say he was the hardest hitter of them all, i heard stories about his power able to lift 1000 pounds is there truth to this? in comparison to the heaviest hitters like Foreman Liston, Tyson and Shavers how hard did he hit
kendom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 06-13-2011, 04:30 PM #2
Strong champion.

Quoted: 4339 Post(s)
New England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 681,624,587,301,585,152.00
Total Points: 10,781,630,589,983,467,520.00
great poster award - jazluvr Merry Christmas bro. Kick back and enjoy. Surround yourself with your loved ones and have a cold one. - deanrw Happy Holidays  New England - !! AI-Holmes!! Ma nigguh, you should come to Ol' England. - D-MiZe for entering the weed thread! - HUGH JASS 
BoxingScene's Educator-in-chief - Dr Rumack i didn't know you live in that area affected, my heart goes out to you...stay strong homie - jose830 #freeNewEnglang - thuggery Coming home on parole brew. - Sweet Pea 50 top poster and cool story in my thread of how you first joined boxingscene. - HUGH JASS 
happy independence day you zulu warrior!!! - HUGH JASS For the fitness and nutrition advice, thanks. - jas A top poster - jas For being a roided up freakazoid - Cuauhtémoc1520 44 posts late.Happy 29,000 post - HughJass 
LOL caught me good KO2. - Hi Rudyo! LOL caught me good KO2. - Hi Rudyo! Suck on this Cry Baby - Rocky... couldn't green you on that big pun post, good stuff - -jose- b-scene ATG - Mike D 
Childhood Cancer - khepesh Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- Childhood Cancer - sugarsmosley World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - HughJass AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - jas World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - sugarsmosley 
Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - jas Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

well he was markedly small for a HW champion

he had little arms, a small base, smallish bones (again, in HW champion terms)

he did, however, put everything humanly possible into his punches, so much so that he would literally throw himself to the ground when he got into the sport.

p4p i would say that he's a very hard puncher at the absolute least.
additionally, he was able to knock men out from round 1 to round 15, which tyson, shavers, and some of the other historic great HW punchers could not.

i would rank his power below the men you mentioned merely because of the size

im going off the top of my head, but i don't think rocky had a longer reach than 70 inches. i don't feel like looking it up, but it believe his reach was 68 inches. thats only an inch longer than pacquiao, four inches shorter than mayweather, about seven inches shorter than martinez, etc.
you just cant generate as much leverage and force with a body that small as you can with a body like liston, or foreman, with much longer arms, bigger shoulders, a wider base, more height for leverage, and obviously more weight to transfer

Last edited by New England; 06-13-2011 at 04:34 PM.
New England is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:33 PM #3
Interim Champion

kendom is a name known to allkendom is a name known to allkendom is a name known to allkendom is a name known to allkendom is a name known to allkendom is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England View Post
well he was markedly small for a HW champion

he had little arms, a small base, smallish bones (again, in HW champion terms)

he did, however, put everything humanly possible into his punches, so much so that he would literally throw himself to the ground when he got into the sport.

p4p i would say that he's a very hard puncher at the absolute least.
additionally, he was able to knock men out from round 1 to round 15, which tyson, shavers, and some of the other historic great HW punchers could not.

i would rank his power below the men you mentioned merely because of the size

im going off the top of my head, but i don't think rocky had a longer reach than 70 inches
you just cant generate as much leverage and force with a body that small as you can with a body like liston, or foreman, with much longer arms, bigger shoulders, a wider base, and more height for leverage.
Wouldnt small arms be a ind of advantage as you can throw short compact punches hard to avoid?
Old 06-13-2011, 04:35 PM #4
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Pastrano has a reputation beyond reputePastrano has a reputation beyond reputePastrano has a reputation beyond reputePastrano has a reputation beyond reputePastrano has a reputation beyond reputePastrano has a reputation beyond reputePastrano has a reputation beyond reputePastrano has a reputation beyond reputePastrano has a reputation beyond reputePastrano has a reputation beyond reputePastrano has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 8,995,184.75

He's there with Tyson and Liston approximately. Not quite as hard puncher as Shavers and Foreman, but not that far from them either.
Pastrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:37 PM #5
Strong champion.

Quoted: 4339 Post(s)
New England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 681,624,587,301,585,152.00
Total Points: 10,781,630,589,983,467,520.00
great poster award - jazluvr Merry Christmas bro. Kick back and enjoy. Surround yourself with your loved ones and have a cold one. - deanrw Happy Holidays  New England - !! AI-Holmes!! Ma nigguh, you should come to Ol' England. - D-MiZe for entering the weed thread! - HUGH JASS 
BoxingScene's Educator-in-chief - Dr Rumack i didn't know you live in that area affected, my heart goes out to you...stay strong homie - jose830 #freeNewEnglang - thuggery Coming home on parole brew. - Sweet Pea 50 top poster and cool story in my thread of how you first joined boxingscene. - HUGH JASS 
happy independence day you zulu warrior!!! - HUGH JASS For the fitness and nutrition advice, thanks. - jas A top poster - jas For being a roided up freakazoid - Cuauhtémoc1520 44 posts late.Happy 29,000 post - HughJass 
LOL caught me good KO2. - Hi Rudyo! LOL caught me good KO2. - Hi Rudyo! Suck on this Cry Baby - Rocky... couldn't green you on that big pun post, good stuff - -jose- b-scene ATG - Mike D 
Childhood Cancer - khepesh Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- Childhood Cancer - sugarsmosley World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - HughJass AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - jas World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - sugarsmosley 
Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - jas Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendom View Post
Wouldnt small arms be a ind of advantage as you can throw short compact punches hard to avoid?
in terms of punching power, in a word, no. a development of an understanding of punching power doesn't come overnight certainly.

bigger arms are associated with larger men, obviously
higher weight classes
etc.
harder punchers generally

think of it like bringing a bigger gun to a gunfight
or a larger stick to a stickfight

or sword to a swordfight

are you gonna do more damage winging a dagger around at your opponents breastplate or are you going to go at him with a two handed sword with some length and leverage?

Last edited by New England; 06-13-2011 at 04:40 PM.
New England is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:50 PM #6
Soir

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Joeyzagz has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyzagz has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyzagz has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyzagz has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyzagz has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyzagz has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyzagz has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyzagz has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyzagz has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyzagz has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyzagz has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 384,874,261,330.18
Total Points: 405,031,588,640.82
Have an e-beer on me - F•R•K•O what a dummy you are - Freedom. still in the red after years of posting here - Freedom. troll - Simurgh 

He hit harder than Vitali for sure.

Not sure if hed make top 10 but definitely far above the average Heavyweight.
Joeyzagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:52 PM #7
Days Of Glory

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
The Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,802,798,735,048.82
Total Points: 203,915,783,658,707.69
Happy 18th  Birthday, Braveheart - jreckoning Yes, Cheers Amigo! - anonymousboxing Thanks for your support - Massage Queen toasting the anglo-scottish alliance - mr.crust Cotto = The man - Animalistic 
Keep visiting the History Section man! - Barnburner To one of  the really good guys in the History section. - Terry A For my best boxing scene mate - BigStereotype Who the ***k is HALGER ????? - McGoorty I know how much the scottish love their flowers so I thought I'd be nice and get you one. - eli porter 
congrats on your first article for KO Digest - fitefanSHO Green :) - dancovboxer cheers - hhs661 CHEERS MATE !!! - BERNIE'S CORNER jaja! pa la victoria de cotto! - Sin City 
For Cotto! - 120 Cheers - typeone Happy New Year! - Scott9945 Cpngrats - typeone Merry Christmas! - TartanSoldier 
Autism - The Surgeon Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Surgeon Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Surgeon Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - The Surgeon 

Marciano had ROCKS for fists and could hurt u in any round as NE pointed out which is a huge advantage

Im no size whore but in truth his lack of it hurts him here, all the guys mentioned hit harder imo but p4p he might well best them all
The Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:15 PM #8
Banned

Forza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 30,756,090.67
one of boxingscene's best - Freedom. Viva Il Duce - Rocky... Happy New Year - Freedom. 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr 

He had slightly bigger 1 punch power than Tyson. Shavers, liston and foreman got him beat though. He just wasn't big enough to hang with those giants in terms of pure power.
Forza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:17 PM #9
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
SBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,005,398,935.27
for being a heavyweight in history section - led wipe your dirty mouth - -Ironmike- I heard you like men - -Ironmike- The &amp;quot;I hate Tyson&amp;quot; award of the year - -Ironmike- Good posts. - Barnburner 
No Message - -jose- you suck dick, i will kick you. - Weltschmerz training for your debut to suck dick,! - Weltschmerz 

Your poll choices make the flawed assumption that Shavers and Foreman hit harder than Liston. I'll give you Shavers, but Liston definitely hit harder than George in my book.
SBleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:28 PM #10
Interim Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBleeder View Post
Your poll choices make the flawed assumption that Shavers and Foreman hit harder than Liston. I'll give you Shavers, but Liston definitely hit harder than George in my book.
Why? a boxing commentator says that he had never seen anyone hit a heavy bag like Foreman including Sonny Liston and Big Georges knockouts just seem more devastating, could Liston take out Frazier the way Foreman did? he could but it wouldnt be as devastating or short in my opinion, maybe 3rd or 4th round.

Share This With Friends

Tags
compared, foreman, hard, heavyweights, liston, marciano, shavers

User Tag List