Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 06-03-2011, 06:59 PM #1
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Perfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 4,407,937.13
For your contributions to the History Section - Barnburner Stay safe - rorymac Good thread - rorymac 
Default Has There Ever Been Worst USA Heavyweight's Than Today?

Well? Has USA ever had as bad a HW division as this?

The best USA Heavyweights are the following.

The Top Tier USA Heavyweights
-Eddie Chambers
-Chris Arreola
-Tony Thomspon
-Kevin Johnson

Rest Of USA Heavyweights
-Franklin Lawrence
-Evander Holyfield
-Ray Austin
-Hasim Rahman
-Cedric Boswell
-Michael Grant
-Shannon Briggs
-Oliver McCall
-Derric Rossy
-James Toney
-Seth Mitchell
-Maurice Harris
-Jason Estrada
-Monte Barrett
-Johnathon Banks
-Chazz Witherspoon
-Dominick Guinn
-Travis Walker
-DaVarryl Williamson
-Jason Gavern
-Bowie Tupou
-Manuel Quezada
Perfect Plex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 06-03-2011, 07:20 PM #2
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wild Blue Yonda has a reputation beyond reputeWild Blue Yonda has a reputation beyond reputeWild Blue Yonda has a reputation beyond reputeWild Blue Yonda has a reputation beyond reputeWild Blue Yonda has a reputation beyond reputeWild Blue Yonda has a reputation beyond reputeWild Blue Yonda has a reputation beyond reputeWild Blue Yonda has a reputation beyond reputeWild Blue Yonda has a reputation beyond reputeWild Blue Yonda has a reputation beyond reputeWild Blue Yonda has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,000,149,023.59
Knowledgeable Poster.! - Barnburner keep up the good work - IronMike* 

I don't believe there's been a worse period, no. Not personally. I can't remember one so abysmal in my lifetime (& for Americans, there was a lot of bemoaning being done during the 80's, let me tell you), & looking back through history, I can't find another timeframe where it looks as shallow as today.

They're not even simply mediocre --- many of them are grossly out-of-shape, too. I mean, of all fundamentals to get down for a boxer, you'd expect keeping in-shape to be top of your list, & we're not talking about guys who just don't seem to have the lungs for the distance (like a De La Hoya, for instance), we're talking about men fighting for millions of dollars, & their own name & history, who are in worse ostensible shape than your everyman in the street. It only compounds their already glaring flaws.
Wild Blue Yonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:23 PM #3
KO Digest

fitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,153,886.96
Thread, it very good - McGoorty Apologies for negging you before. You're a good poster and an asset to the forums. - It's Ovah great thread man--rock of ages - McGoorty Cheers for the help, shame i couldnt get u a real pint! - The Surgeon 

For sure, this is as bad as it has ever been.

Where have all the Larry Holmes' gone?
fitefanSHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:47 PM #4
Interim Champion

fordhamboxing has a reputation beyond reputefordhamboxing has a reputation beyond reputefordhamboxing has a reputation beyond reputefordhamboxing has a reputation beyond reputefordhamboxing has a reputation beyond reputefordhamboxing has a reputation beyond reputefordhamboxing has a reputation beyond reputefordhamboxing has a reputation beyond reputefordhamboxing has a reputation beyond reputefordhamboxing has a reputation beyond reputefordhamboxing has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 319,650,645,185.52
Total Points: 319,651,569,252.83

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitefanSHO View Post
For sure, this is as bad as it has ever been.

Where have all the Larry Holmes' gone?
The NBA and NFL.
fordhamboxing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:36 AM #5
Eurasian gonna get you

nomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 4,343,720,645.64
Total Points: 4,354,698,950.55
For many, many excellent posts on this forum - ChopperRead one of our best posters - Freedom. Happy New Year - Freedom. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
I don't believe there's been a worse period, no. Not personally. I can't remember one so abysmal in my lifetime (& for Americans, there was a lot of bemoaning being done during the 80's, let me tell you), & looking back through history, I can't find another timeframe where it looks as shallow as today.

They're not even simply mediocre --- many of them are grossly out-of-shape, too. I mean, of all fundamentals to get down for a boxer, you'd expect keeping in-shape to be top of your list, & we're not talking about guys who just don't seem to have the lungs for the distance (like a De La Hoya, for instance), we're talking about men fighting for millions of dollars, & their own name & history, who are in worse ostensible shape than your everyman in the street. It only compounds their already glaring flaws.
There's definitely been a clear and marked decline in the quality of American heavyweights in the last ten years, and I'm not buying the whole "it's only because the Eastern Europeans are dominant" argument either. Even were you to take the EEs out of the equation, I don't think you could hide the generally sorry state of the American scene. Chambers has skills and a bit of bottle, but I just can't see him being anything more than a tough B fighter in the 90s, someone who wouldn't totally disgrace himself in the ring against the top guys, but wouldn't win against them either. Johnson also has a bit of skill, but he's a totally negative nancy with no power. Thompson is just awful. He makes comeback Foreman look like Roy Jones. Even in his heyday I doubt he'd be anything more than a tough but very beatable journeyman, and probably wouldn't have seen a sniff at the title unless he was very, very lucky. Arreola at least has the good grace to be exciting, and seems to be making an attempt to get into shape, but that can't disguise his absolutely crude and barely-above-clubfighter skills. He's not the absolute worst, but the fact that some people are calling him the best American heavyweight is quite sad and revealing. The rest of the boxers on that list are either terrible, or terrible and way past their prime.

I won't be unrealistic and pine for the next Tyson, Holyfield, Bowe etc, but for gawd's sake can't we at least have a new Tommy Morrison or something?
nomadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:37 AM #6
Eurasian gonna get you

nomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond repute
For many, many excellent posts on this forum - ChopperRead one of our best posters - Freedom. Happy New Year - Freedom. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordhamboxing View Post
The NBA and NFL.
An unprovable and hackneyed supposition.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:33 AM #7
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
The Smash has a reputation beyond reputeThe Smash has a reputation beyond reputeThe Smash has a reputation beyond reputeThe Smash has a reputation beyond reputeThe Smash has a reputation beyond reputeThe Smash has a reputation beyond reputeThe Smash has a reputation beyond reputeThe Smash has a reputation beyond reputeThe Smash has a reputation beyond reputeThe Smash has a reputation beyond reputeThe Smash has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,053,529.67
Top notch poster - thuggery 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mongoose View Post
Well? Has USA ever had as bad a HW division as this?

The best USA Heavyweights are the following.

The Top Tier USA Heavyweights
-Eddie Chambers
-Chris Arreola
-Tony Thomspon
-Kevin Johnson

Rest Of USA Heavyweights
-Franklin Lawrence
-Evander Holyfield
-Ray Austin
-Hasim Rahman
-Cedric Boswell
-Michael Grant
-Shannon Briggs
-Oliver McCall
-Derric Rossy
-James Toney
-Seth Mitchell
-Maurice Harris
-Jason Estrada
-Monte Barrett
-Johnathon Banks
-Chazz Witherspoon
-Dominick Guinn
-Travis Walker
-DaVarryl Williamson
-Jason Gavern
-Bowie Tupou
-Manuel Quezada
I honestly thought about 6 boxers in that second list were dead.
The Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:49 AM #8
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Welsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 5,560,555,804,144.30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post

I wonder if for some this is deliberate, do some look at the klitschko brothers and think they need to weight 250 lbs + to compete? American based Cuban Odlainder Solis weighted around 220-230lbs as an amateur, but as a pro he ballooned up to over 280lbs at one point. Even for his biggest ever pro fight vs Vitali he was nearly 250lbs. And once fat boy went down fat boy couldn't get up. If he had the dedication to be a top class amateur athlete, why couldn't he sustain it as a pro? Have the Klits made everyone thing bigger is better in the heavyweight division, or are the majority of heavyweights, particulary American-based one simply lazy?
Welsh Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:14 AM #9
Eurasian gonna get you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Jon View Post
I wonder if for some this is deliberate, do some look at the klitschko brothers and think they need to weight 250 lbs + to compete? American based Cuban Odlainder Solis weighted around 220-230lbs as an amateur, but as a pro he ballooned up to over 280lbs at one point. Even for his biggest ever pro fight vs Vitali he was nearly 250lbs. And once fat boy went down fat boy couldn't get up. If he had the dedication to be a top class amateur athlete, why couldn't he sustain it as a pro? Have the Klits made everyone thing bigger is better in the heavyweight division, or are the majority of heavyweights, particulary American-based one simply lazy?
Whilst I think there's a kernel of truth in thinking that being heavier improves your punch resistance, I simply think most of these fighters are just plain lazy. For Arreola this is certainly true, and he's not shied away from admitting it. As for Solis, I think that with Cubans especially their lifestyles are so harsh and their training regimes so strictly regimented growing up that once they defect they get overwhelmed by the amount of things they can do (I can eat fast food! I can party till the early hours!!) that they can't maintain that discipline on their own. That's my theory at least. Don't know how closely it holds to the truth of the matter. Regardless, it results in the same outcome: grossly out of shape athletes.

I really don't see that there's any reason to be big to compete. The Klits themselves are only around the 240lb mark, relatively lean for such big men. A six foot three 230lb -ish fighter would have a 10lb weight disadvantage, but would have the advantage of being able to compete at a high level and maintain good movement around the ring. That's far preferable to any possible improvement in punch resistance; look where that got Shannon Briggs after all.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:42 AM #10
Lords of Boxingscene

Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
TBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 189,883,132,242,772,348,633,088.00
Total Points: 189,883,132,242,772,348,633,088.00
Congratz on your promotion! - jazluvr it's all in a name :fing02: :lol1: - -jose- birf dae - Tago Nang Tago Thanks for the info - Enayze No Message - MDPopescu 
what up T! just driving by buddy :drive: :wave: - -jose- In lui of green - jazluvr I just read the green k message and of course I don't mind you my ninja! - -jose- Feliz Navidad amigo! - -jose- Merry Christmas - siablo14 
Merry Christmas, TBear! Love yah (No homo) - Kuyukut Merry Christmas, bud. - Sweet Pea 50 Belated Merry Christmas mate, hope you had a good one. - Brady_Blows12 Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too T sorry it's late but I was away - -jose- Who came first, the Easter Bunny or the Easter egg? - !! AI-Holmes!! 
congrats! - -jose- Celebrating my son's 2 goals yesterday (he's 8) has 9 for the season one more game left - -jose- HBD - siablo14 Happy bday. Have a beer - -MEGA- Happy 4th and be lated birthday hermano! - -jose- 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - S A M U R A I Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - S A M U R A I Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - S A M U R A I Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - MANGLER Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - MANGLER 
Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - MANGLER World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - !! AI-Holmes!! Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - cooper5 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Izrock AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Raider Monkz 
Head and Neck Cancer - Izrock Childhood Cancer - ??? Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ??? Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Hard Dick Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Unknown Champ 
Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - BABYBOXER Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Daniel Alpha Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Trudoe 

I remember in the 70's people were complaining about how bad the heavyweight division was.
I remember the same of the 80's
I remember the same of the 90's
I remember the same of the 2000's

If they did it now, finally I would say they are right!
TBear is online now   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
heavyweight's, today?, worst

User Tag List