Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anderson Silva vs Yushin Okami set for UFC Rio!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anderson Silva vs Yushin Okami set for UFC Rio!

UFC middleweight champion and a national celebrity after knocking Vitor Belfort out at UFC 126, Anderson Silva will be the biggest star of UFC Rio card. According to Rodrigo ‘Minotauro’ Nogueira, former UFC heavyweight champion and his training partner, Silva will fight Yushin Okami, the last opponent to defeat him (by DQ at Rumble on the Rock 8, in 2006), trying to set a new record of nine straight title defenses in the UFC. The return of the organization to Brazil will take place at Rio de Janeiro’s HSBC Arena, on August 27.

SHERDOG.

UFC will confirm it soon, I hope. Okami deserves the title shot, I hope he stays healthy and we can see the fight.

Comment

UFC in rio thats gonna be crazy

Comment

hooray for GSP...the PBF of mma, keep runnin

Comment

Originally posted by rainmaker89 View Post
          hooray for GSP...the PBF of mma, keep runnin
          in the UFC, fighters don't have much control over who they want to fight. If the UFC wants GSP to fight Silva, than there is nothing GSP can do about it. He isn't running because he isn't the one who made this decision.

Comment

Silva said he will cut to 178 to fight GSP.

Comment

Originally posted by kswizzy99 View Post
              in the UFC, fighters don't have much control over who they want to fight. If the UFC wants GSP to fight Silva, than there is nothing GSP can do about it. He isn't running because he isn't the one who made this decision.
              Yes, GSP can turn down a fight with Anderson if he wants. He probably couldn't refuse to defend his title against Shields, Fitch or whoever else the UFC makes the number one contender, but they're not going to force him to move up to a weight he's never fought at and face the champion straight away.

That being said, Anderson Silva fans can't criticise GSP for not moving up to face Silva because Silva doesn't seem willing to move up and face Jones.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post

That being said, Anderson Silva fans can't criticise GSP for not moving up to face Silva because Silva doesn't seem willing to move up and face Jones.
                this would be silly on the part of silva in my opinion. he would never be able to cut 178 (the big money fight with gsp) if he moves up to fight jones.

Comment

Originally posted by tim horton View Post
                  this would be silly on the part of silva in my opinion. he would never be able to cut 178 (the big money fight with gsp) if he moves up to fight jones.
                  Not sure if Silva can make 178 or not but if he goes to 205 I don't think it'd be too hard for him to come back to MW as he's done it before. Jmo but I don't think the fight should be at a catchweight anyway.

It doesn't seem like GSP wants to move up anytime soon though so if Anderson is interested in facing Jones he should just do it rather than waiting for a GSP fight that looks like it might never happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
                    Not sure if Silva can make 178 or not but if he goes to 205 I don't think it'd be too hard for him to come back to MW as he's done it before. Jmo but I don't think the fight should be at a catchweight anyway.

It doesn't seem like GSP wants to move up anytime soon though so if Anderson is interested in facing Jones he should just do it rather than waiting for a GSP fight that looks like it might never happen.
                    i am rather new to this, i hadn't realized that he had cut that much weight before.

Comment

Working...
                    X