Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 04-04-2011, 02:29 AM #1
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
SCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 30,383,164.85
No Message - Toney616 Happy New Year - Freedom. Happy Christmas amigo - chav 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - poet682006 Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr 
Default The most athletically impressive thing a boxer can do.

In my opinion its when you can make guys miss/counter while on the ropes or in the corner. Muhammad Ali, Roberto Duran, Roy Jones, Pernell Whitaker and James Toney all loved to do this and IMO it shows that they aren't just great boxers but they probable could have been great in most other sport as well.
SCtrojansbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 04-04-2011, 02:47 AM #2
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Steak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 666,366,315.14
Total Points: 772,222,106.34
big sky tye video! - natas206 Couldn't give Karma, so i'll drink to that post - GreatJoe For being supportive of my boy Nate - Massage Queen good posters deserve donuts - Junito-Rulez One of the best posters on the site - Heebarican 
Favorite BoxingScene Asshole - DWiens421 Good poster. - Barnburner For all the hard work on those essays. - Barnburner 

I dont think you necessarily have to be athletic to pull that off. Nicolino Locche used to do it all the time, and the guy wasnt exactly a physical beast in any way. Same with Benitez, who rarely trained. Countering off the ropes can be done with pure skill.

I think handspeed more often than not points to a very naturally athletic person.
Steak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:26 AM #3
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
SCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 30,383,164.85
No Message - Toney616 Happy New Year - Freedom. Happy Christmas amigo - chav 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - poet682006 Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackirish137 View Post
I dont think you necessarily have to be athletic to pull that off. Nicolino Locche used to do it all the time, and the guy wasnt exactly a physical beast in any way. Same with Benitez, who rarely trained. Countering off the ropes can be done with pure skill.

I think handspeed more often than not points to a very naturally athletic person.

Reflexes Flexibility and Balance are the core attributes of athleticism if you have those physical gifts there isn't much you can't do. Benitez is one of the best examples i think he could of played any sport.

Last edited by SCtrojansbaby; 04-04-2011 at 03:28 AM.
SCtrojansbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:16 AM #4
Undisputed Champion

Steak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 666,366,315.14
Total Points: 772,222,106.34
big sky tye video! - natas206 Couldn't give Karma, so i'll drink to that post - GreatJoe For being supportive of my boy Nate - Massage Queen good posters deserve donuts - Junito-Rulez One of the best posters on the site - Heebarican 
Favorite BoxingScene Asshole - DWiens421 Good poster. - Barnburner For all the hard work on those essays. - Barnburner 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
Reflexes Flexibility and Balance are the core attributes of athleticism if you have those physical gifts there isn't much you can't do. Benitez is one of the best examples i think he could of played any sport.
I disagree, Locche and Benitez had quickness of mind more so than quickness of body. They understood boxing and could predict the opponents actions almost before they happened. Thats more skill to me, not physical gifts.

Speed and agility in general are better indicators of a physically gifted individual.
Steak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:23 AM #5
Strong champion.

Quoted: 4168 Post(s)
New England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 506,457,108,687,423,104.00
Total Points: 10,606,463,111,369,299,968.00
great poster award - jazluvr Merry Christmas bro. Kick back and enjoy. Surround yourself with your loved ones and have a cold one. - deanrw Happy Holidays  New England - !! AI-Holmes!! Ma nigguh, you should come to Ol' England. - D-MiZe for entering the weed thread! - HUGH JASS 
BoxingScene's Educator-in-chief - Dr Rumack i didn't know you live in that area affected, my heart goes out to you...stay strong homie - jose830 #freeNewEnglang - thuggery Coming home on parole brew. - Sweet Pea 50 top poster and cool story in my thread of how you first joined boxingscene. - HUGH JASS 
happy independence day you zulu warrior!!! - HUGH JASS For the fitness and nutrition advice, thanks. - jas A top poster - jas For being a roided up freakazoid - Cuauhtémoc1520 44 posts late.Happy 29,000 post - HughJass 
LOL caught me good KO2. - Hi Rudyo! LOL caught me good KO2. - Hi Rudyo! Suck on this Cry Baby - Rocky... couldn't green you on that big pun post, good stuff - -jose- b-scene ATG - Mike D 
Childhood Cancer - khepesh Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- Childhood Cancer - sugarsmosley World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - HughJass AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - jas World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - sugarsmosley 
Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - jas Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
In my opinion its when you can make guys miss/counter while on the ropes or in the corner. Muhammad Ali, Roberto Duran, Roy Jones, Pernell Whitaker and James Toney all loved to do this and IMO it shows that they aren't just great boxers but they probable could have been great in most other sport as well.

If you can do it for 12 rounds against a top tier opponent while landing the cleaner and more effective punches then it's up there.

personally i think a true boxer / puncher puts on the most athletic display in the sport.

he's moving more. his body is working more in the traditional athletic sense

fighting off of the ropes and in the pocket and inside is largely mental
and skillbased
New England is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:41 AM #6
motherfuc

Quoted: 819 Post(s)
GrandpaBernard has a reputation beyond reputeGrandpaBernard has a reputation beyond reputeGrandpaBernard has a reputation beyond reputeGrandpaBernard has a reputation beyond reputeGrandpaBernard has a reputation beyond reputeGrandpaBernard has a reputation beyond reputeGrandpaBernard has a reputation beyond reputeGrandpaBernard has a reputation beyond reputeGrandpaBernard has a reputation beyond reputeGrandpaBernard has a reputation beyond reputeGrandpaBernard has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,054,663,129.60
For the insight! - Lazerjab Happy new years bro! - Lazerjab 

First thing I think of whenever someone mentions athleticism is lighting fast reflexes.

Think about the guys who are considered athletic and they often had quick reflexes. Ali has the best reflexes ever for a heavy. Roy Jones had the best reflexes in general. Floyd Jr has great reflexes too. Zab Judah was a reflex monster.
GrandpaBernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:55 AM #7
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
2Fast has a reputation beyond repute2Fast has a reputation beyond repute2Fast has a reputation beyond repute2Fast has a reputation beyond repute2Fast has a reputation beyond repute2Fast has a reputation beyond repute2Fast has a reputation beyond repute2Fast has a reputation beyond repute2Fast has a reputation beyond repute2Fast has a reputation beyond repute2Fast has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,969,784.71
Total Points: 10,009,821,400.57
Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Teddy_Atlas 

[Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]
2Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:08 PM #8
motherfuc

Quoted: 819 Post(s)
GrandpaBernard has a reputation beyond reputeGrandpaBernard has a reputation beyond reputeGrandpaBernard has a reputation beyond reputeGrandpaBernard has a reputation beyond reputeGrandpaBernard has a reputation beyond reputeGrandpaBernard has a reputation beyond reputeGrandpaBernard has a reputation beyond reputeGrandpaBernard has a reputation beyond reputeGrandpaBernard has a reputation beyond reputeGrandpaBernard has a reputation beyond reputeGrandpaBernard has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,054,663,129.60
For the insight! - Lazerjab Happy new years bro! - Lazerjab 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Fast View Post
[Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]
What's amazing is how he has the awareness to make them miss after they try to counter his pullcounter. It's like he has an ability to see everything in slow motion.
GrandpaBernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:09 PM #9
Banned

-KPB- has a reputation beyond repute-KPB- has a reputation beyond repute-KPB- has a reputation beyond repute-KPB- has a reputation beyond repute-KPB- has a reputation beyond repute-KPB- has a reputation beyond repute-KPB- has a reputation beyond repute-KPB- has a reputation beyond repute-KPB- has a reputation beyond repute-KPB- has a reputation beyond repute-KPB- has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,013,650,165.33
put it on and you can be Lennox's woman - Freedom. you can pretend it's Lennox when you stick it in - Freedom. monkey - dj Benze Just like in the jungles - dj Benze a true ...... - dj Benze 
Stay safe - rorymac merry christmas monkey :D - dj emzz 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Freedom. Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - dj Benze 

Nah, the ability to block punches with your face is much more impressive athletically.....
-KPB- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:00 PM #10
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Marchegiano has a reputation beyond reputeMarchegiano has a reputation beyond reputeMarchegiano has a reputation beyond reputeMarchegiano has a reputation beyond reputeMarchegiano has a reputation beyond reputeMarchegiano has a reputation beyond reputeMarchegiano has a reputation beyond reputeMarchegiano has a reputation beyond reputeMarchegiano has a reputation beyond reputeMarchegiano has a reputation beyond reputeMarchegiano has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 30,021,053,613.06
Rocky Marciano ATG fighter - Freedom. Thanks for thanking me! - Terry A 

Marciano-Walcott one
Marchegiano is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
athletically, boxer, impressive, thing

User Tag List