Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 03-31-2011, 02:18 PM #1
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Steak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 666,366,315.14
Total Points: 772,184,390.34
big sky tye video! - natas206 Couldn't give Karma, so i'll drink to that post - GreatJoe For being supportive of my boy Nate - Massage Queen good posters deserve donuts - Junito-Rulez One of the best posters on the site - Heebarican 
Favorite BoxingScene Asshole - DWiens421 Good poster. - Barnburner For all the hard work on those essays. - Barnburner 
Default Nicolino Locche

In my opinion, Locche is the greatest pure defensive fighter of all time. Unlike other defensive masters who controlled the opponent and limited their offense with counter punches, Locche flat out invited you to attack him while standing right in front of you until you were tired, and then he would throw out some half assed offense to win the round every once in a while.

Ive always heard he never took training seriously and would even smoke inbetween rounds of some of his fights. for someone that had a very light training schedule and usually was out of shape, the man had amazing reflexes and skill.

what are your thoughts on Locche, how do you rate him at 140lbs? and on a side note, does anyone know wtf was up with his eyes in the Paul Fuji fight? He came into the fight like that.

I wish there was more footage of him. I would have LOVED to see his first fight with Cervantes in good quality, shutting out a HOF calibur fighter.
Steak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 03-31-2011, 03:33 PM #2
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
mickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,134,726,151.98
Total Points: 3,145,022,287.24
1000 posts right around the bend...congrats! - JAB5239 For bringing up Schmeling's classy actions! - poet682006 Nothing But Respect For You Mate - 0Rooster4Life0 To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage For fighting the Wanker Snopkins - HaglerSteelChin 
Well deserved. - Barnburner you need this for floyd - Weltschmerz kick this old butt hurt faqqot - Weltschmerz 

Locche was virtually unhittable in his prime and should be in everyone's top 10 at 140.. Not sure about his eyes myself. At one point, i thought it was down to bad vid quality, but then from certain angles, it clearly looks like he'd been poked in both sockets with the wrong end of a paint brush. Can't make it out?
mickey malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:34 PM #3
undisputed

Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
joseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 7,950,585,567,686,874.00
Total Points: 7,962,628,572,934,798.00
a knowledgeable poster - Carnivore Great Poster! - Barnburner I would say you have the IQ of a rodent. But that would be an insult to the rodent.. - Unknown Champ quality posts - Stokely cheers mate - The Noose 
loves muhammad's c0ck - Weltschmerz 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - JAB5239 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackirish137 View Post
In my opinion, Locche is the greatest pure defensive fighter of all time. Unlike other defensive masters who controlled the opponent and limited their offense with counter punches, Locche flat out invited you to attack him while standing right in front of you until you were tired, and then he would throw out some half assed offense to win the round every once in a while.

Ive always heard he never took training seriously and would even smoke inbetween rounds of some of his fights. for someone that had a very light training schedule and usually was out of shape, the man had amazing reflexes and skill.

what are your thoughts on Locche, how do you rate him at 140lbs? and on a side note, does anyone know wtf was up with his eyes in the Paul Fuji fight? He came into the fight like that.
I wish there was more footage of him. I would have LOVED to see his first fight with Cervantes in good quality, shutting out a HOF calibur fighter.

If anybody has an answer to that I sure would like to know too lol
joseph5620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:31 PM #4
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
TheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 7,568,015,645,127.00
Total Points: 7,569,015,959,401.98
To a great poster!! - abosworth great poster. - Melly-Mel For finding the Guzman stream, when nobody else could. - The_Bringer Just wanted to keep the pattern going Machine - danc1984 One of NSBs best contributors - BostonGuy 
7000 posts, congrats!! - JAB5239 To the LinkMaster! - S a m u r a i Respects to a great poster - Gift Of Gab Props on the picture! :lol1: - Spacey1991 Jussi Jääskeläinen - ЯiZО 
For Busting Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 To Celebrate The Exposure Of Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 thanks for the lesson! - mellow_mood This gift is for the videos you posted on my Tyson/Patterson thread a while back.  I recently noticed you posted some great interview videos of Patterson on the thread which I missed at the time because I didn’t follow up on checking the responses. - Benny Leonard For doing a great Glen Johnson highlight video! - St Lion 
To a great historian - Stoppage Good debate. No hard feelings. - Method Checker HERES TO YOU LEFTY - markbnlv Thanks for sharing your boxing knowledge. - Talisayen No Message - dancovboxer 
Hepatitis C - BattlingNelson World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MARKBNLV 

Few could control a fight like Locche did with his defensive tactics. As you said he didn't put up much offense, although he did have a beautiful left hand when he used it. In his younger days he seemed to have been a more mobile boxer but later settled down to a more flat-footed stance, using the ropes to his advantage while avoiding the opponent's blows. Due to his defensive ability and fairly fast hands he was able to get away it, despite the sometimes poor conditioning and even disdain for the opponent.

I don't think anything was wrong with his eyes against Fuji.

Locche toying with the former light welterweight champ Carlos Hernandez:

He got shook up by a punch to the temple early on, but went onto dominate the rest of the rounds.

Last edited by TheGreatA; 03-31-2011 at 05:35 PM.
TheGreatA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:51 PM #5
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
TheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 7,568,015,645,127.00
Total Points: 7,569,015,959,401.98
To a great poster!! - abosworth great poster. - Melly-Mel For finding the Guzman stream, when nobody else could. - The_Bringer Just wanted to keep the pattern going Machine - danc1984 One of NSBs best contributors - BostonGuy 
7000 posts, congrats!! - JAB5239 To the LinkMaster! - S a m u r a i Respects to a great poster - Gift Of Gab Props on the picture! :lol1: - Spacey1991 Jussi Jääskeläinen - ЯiZО 
For Busting Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 To Celebrate The Exposure Of Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 thanks for the lesson! - mellow_mood This gift is for the videos you posted on my Tyson/Patterson thread a while back.  I recently noticed you posted some great interview videos of Patterson on the thread which I missed at the time because I didn’t follow up on checking the responses. - Benny Leonard For doing a great Glen Johnson highlight video! - St Lion 
To a great historian - Stoppage Good debate. No hard feelings. - Method Checker HERES TO YOU LEFTY - markbnlv Thanks for sharing your boxing knowledge. - Talisayen No Message - dancovboxer 
Hepatitis C - BattlingNelson World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MARKBNLV 

The above feat is especially impressive considering Hernandez was no bum, he was a hard-hitting boxer puncher who was just completely taken apart round by round by a master.

Here is Hernandez against Paolo Rosi:

It's easy to see that he had ability to hang with any of today's 140 lb contenders and probably to hold a title belt atleast. Locche made mockery of him, aside from the early scare, a testament to Hernandez's power (which scored him 44 knockouts in 60 wins).

Paul Fuji on the other hand was simply outrageous and made to order for Nicolino, although it was then felt that Fuji's brute power would beat Locche. Fuji was a street fighter whose fights resembled Dempsey-Willard in their brutality. He was left a broken man by Locche however, after finding out that his power was useless when there was nothing to hit.
TheGreatA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:19 PM #6
Undisputed Champion

Holtol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,486,611.29
Total Points: 3,102,956.78
Good Poster. - Barnburner Cheers! - poet682006 

Yeah, he has an amazing ability to avoid punches. Never even heard of him before a couple years ago. Been a boxing fan for about 20 years and collected Ring Magazine for 10 years.
Holtol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:28 PM #7
Lagos State of Mind

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
RubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 376,543,520,291,561.44
Total Points: 376,543,521,526,118.06
Well deserved! Great Poster! - Barnburner 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holtol View Post
Yeah, he has an amazing ability to avoid punches. Never even heard of him before a couple years ago. Been a boxing fan for about 20 years and collected Ring Magazine for 10 years.
Boxing in Latin America had very little exposure during that time, thus lack of footage, very few people knew of him outside of in and around Argentina.
RubenSonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:27 PM #8
Undisputed Champion

Holtol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,486,611.29
Total Points: 3,102,956.78
Good Poster. - Barnburner Cheers! - poet682006 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenSonny View Post
Boxing in Latin America had very little exposure during that time, thus lack of footage, very few people knew of him outside of in and around Argentina.
He is entertaning to watch, but your right there is not much video of him to watch.
Holtol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:44 PM #9
Lagos State of Mind

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
RubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 376,543,520,291,561.44
Total Points: 376,543,521,526,118.06
Well deserved! Great Poster! - Barnburner 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackirish137 View Post

Do you not consider him an ATG and do you consider Locche an ATG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holtol View Post
He is entertaning to watch, but your right there is not much video of him to watch.
Yeah, he was a marvel, like BI mentioned I'd love to see the first Cervantes fight.
RubenSonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:46 PM #10
Strong champion.

Quoted: 3218 Post(s)
New England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 78,727,511,801,565,856.00
Total Points: 10,178,733,514,483,400,704.00
thanks for the green...always enjoy reading your post...green you once I can again... - jose830 great poster award - jazluvr Merry Christmas bro. Kick back and enjoy. Surround yourself with your loved ones and have a cold one. - deanrw Happy Holidays  New England - !! AI-Holmes!! Ma nigguh, you should come to Ol' England. - D-MiZe 
for entering the weed thread! - HUGH JASS BoxingScene's Educator-in-chief - Dr Rumack i didn't know you live in that area affected, my heart goes out to you...stay strong homie - jose830 #freeNewEnglang - thuggery Coming home on parole brew. - Sweet Pea 50 
top poster and cool story in my thread of how you first joined boxingscene. - HUGH JASS happy independence day you zulu warrior!!! - HUGH JASS For the fitness and nutrition advice, thanks. - jas A top poster - jas For being a roided up freakazoid - Cuauhtémoc1520 
44 posts late.Happy 29,000 post - HughJass LOL caught me good KO2. - Hi Rudyo! LOL caught me good KO2. - Hi Rudyo! Suck on this Cry Baby - Rocky... couldn't green you on that big pun post, good stuff - -jose- 
Childhood Cancer - khepesh Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- Childhood Cancer - sugarsmosley World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - HughJass AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - jas World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - sugarsmosley 
Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - jas Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

to be fair to all the guys who earned them, locche had 14 draws
including some to opponents with less than ten fights in or near his prime
others with losing records (one guy was 0 and 4 with stoppage losses)

but the dude boxed over 1300 rounds!

maybe be was so talented he wasnt able to take every fight seriously

you do not win 117 fights without supreme ability if you are not a blessed puncher. that's a lot more brainwork than anything else.

i cant imagine going in to work supremely focused every day myself
and i'm no professional buttkicker

he's certainly a unique quantity in the sport.
deffinately a case of the mind being more gifted than the body.

the question becomes:
who would you rather watch him fight, amir khan or marcos maidana?

both would make for some theater

damn, i love boxing.

we can agree to disagree, but i dont believe he's anywhere near the best defensive fighter to ever lace up

doesnt this man just look hard to hit?

Last edited by New England; 03-31-2011 at 10:53 PM.
New England is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
locche, nicolino

User Tag List