Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 03-23-2011, 12:16 AM #1
GUCCI

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 36,047,577,783,041,000.00
Total Points: 36,147,577,783,237,648.00
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
Happy Birthday :) - Bossy wut up nate!! - Mike D Happy thanksgiving. - HughJass Retard - Weltschmerz this idiot deserves a kick - Freedom. 
Hepatitis C - Spray_resistant Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - -jose- 
Default The true value of having the "heart of a champion"?

I think this term gets thrown around WAY too much. You could be at a fight card and when one local bum gets stunned, then comes back and drops the opponent then he gets labeled with having "the heart of a champion." In my opinion their's more to it then that.

In my opinion to have the true heart of a champion, is something only the great legends have. Because a lot of champions look good when their in control of a fight but when they face adversity they crumble and quit. A modern day example is Miguel Cotto. I love him to death, he's very exciting but he doesn't have the heart to overcome adversity besides the Torres fight.

Another detail I think is involved is how you win fights. Like I don't think Wladimir KLitschko has it either. I'm not trying to single him out because their's lots of other examples like Roy Jones but If you have the heart of a champion, I think when your faced with somebody not in your class talent wise, you don't carry them into the later rounds. You trash them. You make it obvious they shouldn't have been in the ring with you.

If you consider those 2 factors I think it really cuts it down to a really small circle of people. Modern day examples that come to the top of my head right now is Juan Manuel Marquez. Marquez could have easily won on points against Casamayor and Kasditis but he took them out. Not to mention he got up from knockdowns against Manny and still whooped his ass. Manny is another example although I'm not a big fan. He went to war with Morrales in the 1st fight and lost, then the next 2 he straight trashed him. Not to mention he always fights too finish. Clottey is just a big wall, and if he was a bigger welterweight he would have put out Margarito, but he gave him a beating regardless.

Anybody have any opinions on this? Any examples of people they think have the true heart of a champion?
$BloodyNate$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 03-23-2011, 12:37 AM #2
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 135,661,075.80
Good Poster! You need a medal. - "Marvelous" thanks - Toney616 ;) - rorymac In Remembrance..... Smokin' Joe - McGoorty Merry Christmas - The Surgeon 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - "Marvelous" Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - "Marvelous" 

Basilio and Frazier instanteneously came to mind when I saw the thread title.
DarkTerror88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:42 AM #3
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Holtol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,486,611.29
Total Points: 3,102,658.78
Good Poster. - Barnburner Cheers! - poet682006 

Both Ali and Marciano had the heart of a champion. Ali sometimes being lackluster in his training plus being impolite to his opponents are strikes against him but he made up for a lot of it with his great will to win in the ring.

Last edited by Holtol; 03-23-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Holtol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:31 AM #4
TheTartanSoldier

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Barn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 639,267,778,262,058.88
Total Points: 399,575,251,690,985,408.00
Top Bloke! - mickey malone For your knowledge of boxing - sigrab jr Hell of a poster, very generous - BigStereotype the champ is here - New England wisdom - House of Stone 
For generosity and top posts! - Sugarj medal for your videos - New England The Greatest Vid : Barney the Great - McGoorty Keep up the top notch vids - JAB5239 To another of a select group of real boxing fans who really know their boxing history! - Terry A 
4 the uploads! - chiguy91 For you epic break down of Oreo's, and the Mayan calendar. lmaooooooooo - Sweet Pea 50 For the massive amount of points given - MindBat You're going to need it to beat me. - D-MiZe victory is sweet , rigotard and proud!! - HUGH JASS 
Rigonation badge of honor! - dan_cov your first post in the weed thread barn! , i know you don't smoke , keep it that way young one!! - HUGH JASS Boxingscene Chat room :fing02: - jose830 For the help buddy - Badzi87 You a Scot,Me a English and this lucky clover from Ireland.Best of luck m8. - HughGlass 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - NChristo Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NChristo Childhood Cancer - NChristo Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - NChristo Hepatitis C - NChristo 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NChristo Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - NChristo Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - NChristo Autism - NChristo Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - NChristo 
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - NChristo Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - NChristo Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - NChristo Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - NChristo World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - arraamis 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - chiguy91 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - codey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - codey Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Daniel Alpha 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTerror88 View Post
Basilio and Frazier instanteneously came to mind when I saw the thread title.
Frazier was my first thoughts.
In the Thrilla' he was blind yet continued to fight on and against big George he was knocked down 6 times yet still was fighting.

Gatti is a must in this conversation.
Barn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:07 AM #5
Contender

Quarry is on a distinguished road
Total Points: 5,946.36

Mike Tyson was the first come to my mind
Quarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:24 PM #6
TheTartanSoldier

Barn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond repute
Top Bloke! - mickey malone For your knowledge of boxing - sigrab jr Hell of a poster, very generous - BigStereotype the champ is here - New England wisdom - House of Stone 
For generosity and top posts! - Sugarj medal for your videos - New England The Greatest Vid : Barney the Great - McGoorty Keep up the top notch vids - JAB5239 To another of a select group of real boxing fans who really know their boxing history! - Terry A 
4 the uploads! - chiguy91 For you epic break down of Oreo's, and the Mayan calendar. lmaooooooooo - Sweet Pea 50 For the massive amount of points given - MindBat You're going to need it to beat me. - D-MiZe victory is sweet , rigotard and proud!! - HUGH JASS 
Rigonation badge of honor! - dan_cov your first post in the weed thread barn! , i know you don't smoke , keep it that way young one!! - HUGH JASS Boxingscene Chat room :fing02: - jose830 For the help buddy - Badzi87 You a Scot,Me a English and this lucky clover from Ireland.Best of luck m8. - HughGlass 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - NChristo Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NChristo Childhood Cancer - NChristo Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - NChristo Hepatitis C - NChristo 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NChristo Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - NChristo Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - NChristo Autism - NChristo Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - NChristo 
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - NChristo Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - NChristo Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - NChristo Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - NChristo World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - arraamis 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - chiguy91 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - codey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - codey Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Daniel Alpha 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
Explain please very odd choice IMO.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:31 PM #7
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
CarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,390,733,476,125.06
Total Points: 2,390,733,494,149.06
Have a beer. - Barnburner Have some. - Hara No Message - JAB5239 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
In his prime Tyson was a great example of a fighter with a ton of heart.
CarlosG815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:43 PM #8
TheTartanSoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosG815 View Post
In his prime Tyson was a great example of a fighter with a ton of heart.
He showed heart against Lewis' as well.

I still don't think he had amazing heart though and post-prime he didn't have any. Except above example.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:54 PM #9
Banned

Prince Mongo has a reputation beyond reputePrince Mongo has a reputation beyond reputePrince Mongo has a reputation beyond reputePrince Mongo has a reputation beyond reputePrince Mongo has a reputation beyond reputePrince Mongo has a reputation beyond reputePrince Mongo has a reputation beyond reputePrince Mongo has a reputation beyond reputePrince Mongo has a reputation beyond reputePrince Mongo has a reputation beyond reputePrince Mongo has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 7,089,941.04

Marvin Hagler had the most heart I have seen in a fighter. Of today's fighters Froch has to rate very highly heart wise.
Prince Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:37 PM #10
TheTartanSoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Mongo View Post
Marvin Hagler had the most heart I have seen in a fighter. Of today's fighters Froch has to rate very highly heart wise.
Hagler is a hard one to judge as apart from the Mugabi fight he never needed it.

The answer to this question also depends on how you define heart.

Share This With Friends

Tags
"heart, champion"?, true

User Tag List