Forum Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing

Old 02-16-2011, 08:00 PM #1
Comedian Taught Her

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Come∂ian has a reputation beyond reputeCome∂ian has a reputation beyond reputeCome∂ian has a reputation beyond reputeCome∂ian has a reputation beyond reputeCome∂ian has a reputation beyond reputeCome∂ian has a reputation beyond reputeCome∂ian has a reputation beyond reputeCome∂ian has a reputation beyond reputeCome∂ian has a reputation beyond reputeCome∂ian has a reputation beyond reputeCome∂ian has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,396.77
Total Points: 14,244.00
Have a beer. Great videos meng. - [KLTP] -Kirby- the best when it comes to GIF replies. lol you deserve this one - bahay kubo For the fun i had on the gif :D - led No Message - led Slickest Poster Alive - ThePhantom5 
BURRRRRRRRRRR! James Kirkland vid! - Bloody$Nate$ SuperComedian - (ROY) amazing sig bro, haha. - chiguy91 owning the shit out of pac-girl - I'm so sorry CAN MAN - CounterPunching 
Default NFL Player Ray Edwards Turning To Boxing Could Be Great For The Sport

How Ray Edwards and the NFL Lockout Can Help Boxing Get Back to the Big Time

I am one of the biggest football fans you will ever find, but I am also one of the biggest boxing fans you will ever find. A year without the NFL would be torture to many fans but it could be great for boxing fans.

Two things make me feel optimistic that a boxing network revival could happen without the NFL on Sundays. The first is there is a now an obvious gap of programming on Sundays.

The NFL is on CBS every Sunday and it just so happens that Bob Arum just inked a deal with CBS/Showtime to show boxing.

I would assume that CBS would want to replace sports with sports so that makes boxing the perfect fit. Arum has many of the top fighters in the world and could put on compelling cards for the networks.

Top Rank fighters currently include established stars like Steve Molitor, Joshua Clottey, Miguel Cotto, Nonito Donaire, Yuriorkis Gamboa and Juan Manuel Lopez just to name a few.

When you include up-and-comers like Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (a big draw), Jose Benavidez, Miguel Garcia, Omar Henry and Vanes Martirosyan you can make many interesting cards.

He also has a lot of good mid-card/journeymen type of fighters that can fill out a card.

I wasnít alive for either NFL strike that took place in 1982 and 1987, but according to a blog post by Chris Chase of Yahoo! Sports, the networks carried a lot of live boxing during the 1982 strike.

This is a sign that bodes well for boxing and Arum in particular. He was around when boxing was on the networks and has a chance to bring it back.

Rarely do things work out in boxing but it seems like the stars may be aligning for the networks (or at least CBS) to bring boxing back into the fold.

Although boxing doesnít have the mainstream fan base it used to have it still isnít a totally niche sport, is better than showing UFL or CFL football games and is better than showing something that isnít sports.

The second thing that could make this happen is the fact that some football players will want to try their hand at boxing as some of them do boxing training to stay in shape in the offseason.

Ray Edwards is one football player who has already said he is strongly considering turning pro if the NFL does indeed strike.

Edwards is a 26 year old, 6í5Ē tall 268 pound defensive end for the Minnesota Vikings. He said that he has been training since September in anticipation of a lockout.

He also said he plans to fight in the beginning of April and will start his own promotional company. Now he wonít become a top tier heavyweight but he will bring more fans.

If he has some success he could convince other players to turn to boxing and bring in even more fans. If youíre an NFL fan you canít watch him play football so why not watch your favorite player fight?

Many boxing purists would have problems with this but I am not one as long as it does not take away a sport from a legitimate fighter.

Opening a card with Edwards would be fine but not if it meant keeping someone like Matt Remillard off the card. The draw would be keeping your best fighters on the card while sneaking a football player on it.

There is a lot of ifs in this scenario, but it could be the perfect time for boxing to make a big time comeback, even if it is for a very short time while the NFL is gone.
Come∂ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:06 PM #2
#1 Knicks Fan

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,000.00
Total Points: 13,795.00
Very Good poster. - Barnburner Keep up the good posts. - Barnburner BURRRRRRRRR! - Natedatpkid 100% solid - The Surgeon another useless dothraki clown, here savage - Ether 
Heres a Fish! - The Surgeon :) - MANIAC310 Merry Christmas - The Surgeon Merry Christmas - The Surgeon No problem bro, thanks.. Knicks will be fine. - Fresno 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Barnburner Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Ether 

This is a good way to look at it. Do you mind if I repost this on facebook? I really think it's interesting.
BigStereotype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:07 PM #3
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Steak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,000.00
Total Points: 17,409.00
big sky tye video! - natas206 Couldn't give Karma, so i'll drink to that post - GreatJoe For being supportive of my boy Nate - Massage Queen good posters deserve donuts - Junito-Rulez One of the best posters on the site - Heebarican 
Favorite BoxingScene Asshole - DWiens421 Good poster. - Barnburner For all the hard work on those essays. - Barnburner 

none of the NFL players will do anything in boxing.

BUT...it will bring a little more attention back to the sport(in America at least).
and thats a good thing.
Steak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:14 PM #4
Quintessence

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Heru has a reputation beyond reputeHeru has a reputation beyond reputeHeru has a reputation beyond reputeHeru has a reputation beyond reputeHeru has a reputation beyond reputeHeru has a reputation beyond reputeHeru has a reputation beyond reputeHeru has a reputation beyond reputeHeru has a reputation beyond reputeHeru has a reputation beyond reputeHeru has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,382.91
Total Points: 21,186.99
Keep up your posting - J. HITTER bottoms up - gancho_al_igado Badass poster - Stone Roses! For supporting Palestine - Stone Roses! Have another Champ - Stone Roses! 
a bribe to get you in the thunderdome and post homie, lol, nyahahahahahaha c u soon homie, lol, nyahahahaha - Tha_Greatest give it to guzman's fat ass - Dick Buffman Give some of this to Guzman - Dick Buffman for Guzman's beer gut - INSECT merry xmas - Subtraction 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Mangler Jewnior World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Dick Buffman 

I've been hearing rumors of Brandon Jacobs facing another NFL player if there is a lockout, but I remember it being a Baltimore Raven, not a Viking, could be wrong though.

I heard it would be on an undercard in Meadowlands Stadium, so it could be Cotto-Margarito or some other possible card.
Heru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:15 PM #5
Comedian Taught Her

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Come∂ian has a reputation beyond reputeCome∂ian has a reputation beyond reputeCome∂ian has a reputation beyond reputeCome∂ian has a reputation beyond reputeCome∂ian has a reputation beyond reputeCome∂ian has a reputation beyond reputeCome∂ian has a reputation beyond reputeCome∂ian has a reputation beyond reputeCome∂ian has a reputation beyond reputeCome∂ian has a reputation beyond reputeCome∂ian has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,396.77
Total Points: 14,244.00
Have a beer. Great videos meng. - [KLTP] -Kirby- the best when it comes to GIF replies. lol you deserve this one - bahay kubo For the fun i had on the gif :D - led No Message - led Slickest Poster Alive - ThePhantom5 
BURRRRRRRRRRR! James Kirkland vid! - Bloody$Nate$ SuperComedian - (ROY) amazing sig bro, haha. - chiguy91 owning the shit out of pac-girl - I'm so sorry CAN MAN - CounterPunching 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStereotype View Post
This is a good way to look at it. Do you mind if I repost this on facebook? I really think it's interesting.
I copied it from an articule I saw earlier today, so feel free homie
Come∂ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:15 PM #6
Banned

BattleHardened has a reputation beyond reputeBattleHardened has a reputation beyond reputeBattleHardened has a reputation beyond reputeBattleHardened has a reputation beyond reputeBattleHardened has a reputation beyond reputeBattleHardened has a reputation beyond reputeBattleHardened has a reputation beyond reputeBattleHardened has a reputation beyond reputeBattleHardened has a reputation beyond reputeBattleHardened has a reputation beyond reputeBattleHardened has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,099.00

Nobody knows who the **** he is, and I doubt it would be good for the sport, and besides he wouldn't make it anyways.

That's like him saying he could go be great in the NBA.
BattleHardened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:24 PM #7
No More UK Stoppages

Quoted: 13890 Post(s)
ShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 306,179.01
Total Points: 346,386.08
excellent posts mate - Alx. good post about Wlad being like Bute - RossCA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA brewed just 4 u - sugarsmosley 
valuable advice to training forum - jas Thanks for the green man,I should have won poster of the year,but the site is in denial.bitches huh ? - Scott-Weiland All in .&w - BERNIE'S CORNER Phone spazzed on gift giving. Can't green ya but have this beer on me. All in good fun ! - BERNIE'S CORNER Easily one of the best posters on the forum - JK1700 
Good thread and comments - maracho A truce - lfc19titles A truce - lfc19titles 

He's got the size and athleticism, but he would have had to start young in the sport.
ShoulderRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:45 PM #8
Quintessence

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Heru has a reputation beyond reputeHeru has a reputation beyond reputeHeru has a reputation beyond reputeHeru has a reputation beyond reputeHeru has a reputation beyond reputeHeru has a reputation beyond reputeHeru has a reputation beyond reputeHeru has a reputation beyond reputeHeru has a reputation beyond reputeHeru has a reputation beyond reputeHeru has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,382.91
Total Points: 21,186.99
Keep up your posting - J. HITTER bottoms up - gancho_al_igado Badass poster - Stone Roses! For supporting Palestine - Stone Roses! Have another Champ - Stone Roses! 
a bribe to get you in the thunderdome and post homie, lol, nyahahahahahaha c u soon homie, lol, nyahahahaha - Tha_Greatest give it to guzman's fat ass - Dick Buffman Give some of this to Guzman - Dick Buffman for Guzman's beer gut - INSECT merry xmas - Subtraction 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Mangler Jewnior World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Dick Buffman 

It would be good for the sport, not because of the opponents they'd be fighting (even though fighting players from other teams would make it that much bigger), but because with the void of the NFL on the CBS schedule, what do you think they would turn to to fill that void?

How about Top Rank fighters and NFL players? Especially after they get they get a taste of what Pacquiao brings.
Heru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:46 PM #9
Banned

Sweet Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Jesus has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 13,461.00
You need a gift homie.  Drink up!!!!!!!!  Drinks on me potna. - Chief2ndzOnly! 9K posts and much much improved poster - -pound4pound- Nemiroff - kyshenko team 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Ether AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - EngorgedW/Blood Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Ether 

That would be awesome. Too bad Brian Urlacher didn't grow up to be a boxer. Bye bye Wladimir.
Sweet Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:54 PM #10
Banned

PandaKilla has a reputation beyond reputePandaKilla has a reputation beyond reputePandaKilla has a reputation beyond reputePandaKilla has a reputation beyond reputePandaKilla has a reputation beyond reputePandaKilla has a reputation beyond reputePandaKilla has a reputation beyond reputePandaKilla has a reputation beyond reputePandaKilla has a reputation beyond reputePandaKilla has a reputation beyond reputePandaKilla has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,012.00
Feeling HOT HOT HOT! - Zig Zag. No Message - Zig Zag. No Message - - v e t - No Message - - v e t - 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Zig Zag. 

People think athletes can become good boxers. It doesn't matter iif you are strong, or fast on your feet or even have a great body.

Athletes soon realise how tougj boxing is if they need to make weight, run at 4 am alone, get hit, train their ass off everyday, and that the sport is ultimately lonely.

When boxing fans say oh. Ut our stars are in football or basketball, hell no. What about the lower weights?

Hitting a speed bag fluidly isn't easy.

Anyone who boxes and spars knows that you end up lookig like an amatuer, that timing goes all wrong, your head doesn't do what you thi k, that your stamina gets hit when you take shots, that it hurts, thay throwing 100 punches at pads is a lot easier than doing 500.

People don't realise that it takes someone really special to be at the top of boxing, and that being athletic or good at one sports does not mean you can be good at boxing.

The fight game is not a ball, but you're playing with a man who wants to hurt you to feed his family.

In boxing, there is no teammto help you when you're not at your best, or to fight for you when you're injured.

Who even knows these guys can trow a world class punch or take a punch on the chin.

All I know is, I have mad respect for boxers.
PandaKilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
boxing, edwards, great, player, sport, turning