Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 02-07-2011, 02:31 PM #1
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
sonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 185,209,724.71
Gift for Green - HaglerSteelChin Illiterate troll of the month award. - Jim Jeffries for being a cool poster in history section - led Cool poster award - -Lightsout- Like reading your posts, funny too.  Good job, keep it up. - -D33Pwaters- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Demise Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - tanibanana 
Default Tyson on past fighters

He mentions 2 ATG fighters Robinson and Dempsey as being exactly how they were in the ring, just constantly there to hurt you... good interview.

Mike Tyson: Every fighter in the history of fighting. But none like me. And, believe me, I'm not being immodest. None like me. I studied every fighter in history, at my manager's house up in Catskill, 'cause he had all the greatest fights on film, he had every last one of them, and I watched them all, every night. They were all so vicious, man. Jake LaMotta, Henry Armstrong, Carmen Basilio. Sugar Ray—God, he was vicious. But Jack Dempsey more than anyone. All these guys let you know they wanted to murder you, and they'd take shots from you, over and over and over, get beat senseless, just so they could get theirs in. Sugar Ray maybe most of all. But Jack Dempsey? He wanted to maim you. He didn't want you dead. He wanted you to suffer. He wanted to shatter your eye socket, destroy your cheeks, your chinbone. That's what I learned from Mr. Dempsey, and I believe I learned it well. Details: And what did you learn from Mr. Ali?
Mike Tyson: Believe it or not, with all that poetry and the butterflies, what I learned from Ali was meanness. He was the meanest fighter of all time. He'd be in there with Foreman, hardest puncher of all time, he'd be in there with Frazier, another hardest puncher, and he'd be taking it, boom, getting pounded, and then he'd turn, when it was his time, and you'd look at that face, and he's screaming. [Does an Ali impression] "I'm not [Throws a punch] scared [Throws a punch] of you, you ****ing ******. [Throws two punches] You ****ing punk. I'm ****ing God, and worship me. I'm the greatest. [Throws two punches] You're a little ****ing boy, ****sucker." Nobody at ringside reported it, but nobody ****-talked like Ali.
sonnyboyx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 02-07-2011, 02:33 PM #2
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
CarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,390,733,476,125.06
Total Points: 2,390,733,501,924.06
Have a beer. - Barnburner Have some. - Hara No Message - JAB5239 

Good find, where was that from?
CarlosG815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:53 PM #3
Days Of Glory

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
The Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,513,198,217,474.27
Total Points: 203,626,183,136,438.81
Happy 18th  Birthday, Braveheart - jreckoning Yes, Cheers Amigo! - anonymousboxing Thanks for your support - Massage Queen toasting the anglo-scottish alliance - mr.crust Cotto = The man - Animalistic 
Keep visiting the History Section man! - Barnburner To one of  the really good guys in the History section. - Terry A For my best boxing scene mate - BigStereotype Who the ***k is HALGER ????? - McGoorty I know how much the scottish love their flowers so I thought I'd be nice and get you one. - eli porter 
congrats on your first article for KO Digest - fitefanSHO Green :) - dancovboxer cheers - hhs661 CHEERS MATE !!! - BERNIE'S CORNER jaja! pa la victoria de cotto! - Sin City 
For Cotto! - 120 Cheers - typeone Happy New Year! - Scott9945 Cpngrats - typeone Merry Christmas! - TartanSoldier 
Autism - The Surgeon Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Surgeon Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Surgeon Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - The Surgeon 
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
He mentions 2 ATG fighters Robinson and Dempsey as being exactly how they were in the ring, just constantly there to hurt you... good interview.

Mike Tyson: Every fighter in the history of fighting. But none like me. And, believe me, I'm not being immodest. None like me. I studied every fighter in history, at my manager's house up in Catskill, 'cause he had all the greatest fights on film, he had every last one of them, and I watched them all, every night. They were all so vicious, man. Jake LaMotta, Henry Armstrong, Carmen Basilio. Sugar Ray—God, he was vicious. But Jack Dempsey more than anyone. All these guys let you know they wanted to murder you, and they'd take shots from you, over and over and over, get beat senseless, just so they could get theirs in. Sugar Ray maybe most of all. But Jack Dempsey? He wanted to maim you. He didn't want you dead. He wanted you to suffer. He wanted to shatter your eye socket, destroy your cheeks, your chinbone. That's what I learned from Mr. Dempsey, and I believe I learned it well. Details: And what did you learn from Mr. Ali?
Mike Tyson: Believe it or not, with all that poetry and the butterflies, what I learned from Ali was meanness. He was the meanest fighter of all time. He'd be in there with Foreman, hardest puncher of all time, he'd be in there with Frazier, another hardest puncher, and he'd be taking it, boom, getting pounded, and then he'd turn, when it was his time, and you'd look at that face, and he's screaming. [Does an Ali impression] "I'm not [Throws a punch] scared [Throws a punch] of you, you ****ing ******. [Throws two punches] You ****ing punk. I'm ****ing God, and worship me. I'm the greatest. [Throws two punches] You're a little ****ing boy, ****sucker." Nobody at ringside reported it, but nobody ****-talked like Ali.
Good read, always good to hear Tysons boxing opinions.
The Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:22 PM #4
Soir

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Joeyzagz has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyzagz has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyzagz has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyzagz has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyzagz has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyzagz has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyzagz has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyzagz has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyzagz has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyzagz has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyzagz has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 322,045,564,866.88
Total Points: 342,202,883,541.17
Have an e-beer on me - F•R•K•O what a dummy you are - Freedom. still in the red after years of posting here - Freedom. troll - Simurgh 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post

He shouldve been studying elite technicians like Gene Tunney and Joe Louis. That swarming/ peek-a-boo style has its limitations.
Joeyzagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:38 PM #5
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,030,087,929.47
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 
for invaluable advice in the training forum - jas 

I'd say Floyd Patterson was an elite technician, every bit as technically adept as Louis and Tunney. The perfect exponent of the peek a boo style.
Sugarj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:40 PM #6
Days Of Glory

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
The Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,513,198,217,474.27
Total Points: 203,626,183,136,438.81
Happy 18th  Birthday, Braveheart - jreckoning Yes, Cheers Amigo! - anonymousboxing Thanks for your support - Massage Queen toasting the anglo-scottish alliance - mr.crust Cotto = The man - Animalistic 
Keep visiting the History Section man! - Barnburner To one of  the really good guys in the History section. - Terry A For my best boxing scene mate - BigStereotype Who the ***k is HALGER ????? - McGoorty I know how much the scottish love their flowers so I thought I'd be nice and get you one. - eli porter 
congrats on your first article for KO Digest - fitefanSHO Green :) - dancovboxer cheers - hhs661 CHEERS MATE !!! - BERNIE'S CORNER jaja! pa la victoria de cotto! - Sin City 
For Cotto! - 120 Cheers - typeone Happy New Year! - Scott9945 Cpngrats - typeone Merry Christmas! - TartanSoldier 
Autism - The Surgeon Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Surgeon Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Surgeon Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - The Surgeon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyZagz View Post
He shouldve been studying elite technicians like Gene Tunney and Joe Louis. That swarming/ peek-a-boo style has its limitations.
All styles have there limitations.

Tyson seemed to do pretty well with the style he used, infact it was as if it was designed for him he fitted it that much, Tyson and the peek a boo style are a perfect match
The Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:16 PM #7
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
McGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,050,632,507.36
To a pal who I also respect a lot! - Terry A Old timer expert with great emoticon use. - Barnburner missed you around - McGoorty Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah 
Top poster - Toney616 No Message - rorymac It's your honorary Warriors fan badge..wear it with pride! KA MATE!!!! - Jeff Da Maori Good thread - rorymac cheers!  eat your fish!  tasty and healthy! - uglypug 

The Biggest thing that I've alway's respected Mr. Tyson for is his total respect for ALL the Great and Close-To-Great fighters of the past. With the likes of Cayton he had access to over 3 quarters of all the classic films in existance. I am NOT one of those who'd rate Mike as in the top 8 Heavyweights ever but MAN was he INTIMIDATING. I hope he and his buddy J. Fenech have peacefull futures.
McGoorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:34 PM #8
#1 p4p ATG/GOAT

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
ghns1133 has a reputation beyond reputeghns1133 has a reputation beyond reputeghns1133 has a reputation beyond reputeghns1133 has a reputation beyond reputeghns1133 has a reputation beyond reputeghns1133 has a reputation beyond reputeghns1133 has a reputation beyond reputeghns1133 has a reputation beyond reputeghns1133 has a reputation beyond reputeghns1133 has a reputation beyond reputeghns1133 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,905,153,127.26
Total Points: 4,955,635,545.87
Some Green! - Barnburner on me - danny711 and a shot - danny711 actually theres beer inside - kyshenko team imagine it's Floyd when you stick it in - Freedom. 
heres your gift have fun - sugersean15 Boss lady aint shiit! - Uncle Howie for teh vids - ƒallenloki 

he didnt have the body type to be a prue boxer. he was born for the peekaboo bobing and weaving style.
ghns1133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:53 PM #9
Up and Comer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
barfly12 will become famous soon enough
Total Points: 1,007,729.14
Default Patterson

Ali called Patteson the most skilled man he ever fought.
barfly12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:31 PM #10
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Forza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 30,750,988.67
one of boxingscene's best - Freedom. Viva Il Duce - Rocky... Happy New Year - Freedom. 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr 

One of the few good things I can say about tyson is he was actually a legit boxing fan, at least in his youth. I mean look at these new champs today, you think a kid like amir khan even knows who willie pep is? You think brandon rios ever saw more than 10 seconds of a henry armstrong fight? Does sergio martinez even know or care about jake lamotta?
Forza is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
fighters, past, tyson

User Tag List