Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 11-01-2010, 01:24 PM #1
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Holtol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,486,611.29
Total Points: 3,109,419.78
Good Poster. - Barnburner Cheers! - poet682006 
Default How George Chuvalo trained his punch resistance.

George Chuvalo would do head stands against the wall moving his head back and forth and side to side for a half hour or so while talking on the phone. Also he would chew a lot of bubble gum to strengthen his jaw and face muscles.

Do you think that would help with punch resistance much?
Holtol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 11-01-2010, 01:32 PM #2
Banned

stocks01 is on a distinguished road
Bank: 753.82
Total Points: 5,238.78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holtol View Post
George Chuvalo would do head stands against the wall moving his head back and forth and side to side for a half hour or so while talking on the phone. Also he would chew a lot of bubble gum to strengthen his jaw and face muscles.

Do you think that would help with punch resistance much?
Not sure about the head stands but lifting weights with your head will help your neck but not your brain. bubble gum on the other hand i would like to say would work BUT i have been eating dinners for 28 yrs and the muscles around my chaw are not that big so may take a long time to get them ready
Image View Removed. Please Click Here.
stocks01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:38 PM #3
Undisputed Champion

Holtol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocks01 View Post
Not sure about the head stands but lifting weights with your head will help your neck but not your brain. bubble gum on the other hand i would like to say would work BUT i have been eating dinners for 28 yrs and the muscles around my chaw are not that big so may take a long time to get them ready
Image View Removed. Please Click Here.
Evan Chan: You have 93 professional fights to your record, and you've never been knocked down before which is extremely admirable considering the fact that you fought Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, and George Foreman. What do you feel contributed to your legendary toughness?

George Chuvalo:I think my physicality enabled me to be better at certain things. For example, a fast runner may have longer calves and this attribute will help him succeed. What helped me a lot is the fact that I have a very short neck. If I had a neck like a stack of dimes, you can bet I couldn't take a good shot. But the fact that I had a short neck and worked on it a lot (as opposed to most fighters who don't work on their neck muscles) definitely helped. I would stand on my head against a wall and move my head back and forth, side to side, for half an hour or so while talking on the phone. This strengthened my shoulder and girdle area. I also chewed a lot of bubblegum and that helped develop my jaw muscles, which stood out prominently when I was younger. There could be unknown factors as well, But I attribut these physical qualities to my toughness.

I just found the interview, thought I would post it.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:47 PM #4
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
sonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 185,199,094.71
Gift for Green - HaglerSteelChin Illiterate troll of the month award. - Jim Jeffries for being a cool poster in history section - led Cool poster award - -Lightsout- Like reading your posts, funny too.  Good job, keep it up. - -D33Pwaters- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Demise Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - tanibanana 

George Chuvalo `The Great Canadian Hard Rock`who other fighters broke their hands on.
sonnyboyx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:03 PM #5
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,030,087,470.83
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 
for invaluable advice in the training forum - jas 

Quote:
Evan Chan: You have 93 professional fights to your record, and you've never been knocked down before which is extremely admirable considering the fact that you fought Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, and George Foreman. What do you feel contributed to your legendary toughness?

George Chuvalo:I think my physicality enabled me to be better at certain things. For example, a fast runner may have longer calves and this attribute will help him succeed. What helped me a lot is the fact that I have a very short neck. If I had a neck like a stack of dimes, you can bet I couldn't take a good shot. But the fact that I had a short neck and worked on it a lot (as opposed to most fighters who don't work on their neck muscles) definitely helped. I would stand on my head against a wall and move my head back and forth, side to side, for half an hour or so while talking on the phone. This strengthened my shoulder and girdle area. I also chewed a lot of bubblegum and that helped develop my jaw muscles, which stood out prominently when I was younger. There could be unknown factors as well, But I attribut these physical qualities to my toughness.

I just found the interview, thought I would post it.

George Chuvalo might just be the funniest and most quoteable guy of his era 'If I had a neck like a stack of dimes, you can bet I couldn't take a good shot'.

Legend!

Its worth buying the documentary 'Facing Ali' just for Chuvalo. There surely cannot be a more articulate guy who ever traded punches with the likes of Williams, Bonavena, Quarry, Frazier, Patterson, Foreman and Ali.
Sugarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:22 PM #6
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarj View Post
George Chuvalo might just be the funniest and most quoteable guy of his era 'If I had a neck like a stack of dimes, you can bet I couldn't take a good shot'.

Legend!

Its worth buying the documentary 'Facing Ali' just for Chuvalo. There surely cannot be a more articulate guy who ever traded punches with the likes of Williams, Bonavena, Quarry, Frazier, Patterson, Foreman and Ali.
I agree it was a very good documentary. Chuvalo is very well spoken and puts it to good use in the war against drugs. I had the extreme privilege of him speaking at my High school about 20 years ago.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:29 PM #7
Banned

Location: My CPU is neural net processor; a learning computer
Jack3d is infamous around these partsJack3d is infamous around these partsJack3d is infamous around these partsJack3d is infamous around these partsJack3d is infamous around these partsJack3d is infamous around these partsJack3d is infamous around these partsJack3d is infamous around these partsJack3d is infamous around these partsJack3d is infamous around these partsJack3d is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 253,300,373.06

That sounds really, really, dumb.

It's possible that it did work, and there is also a possiblity that it was just a placebo.

I'm inclined to believe that ladder. Standing on your hands increases power and chewing gum makes you have a better chin?

Yeah, I don't buy that.
Jack3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:44 PM #8
Banned

carlos slim is infamous around these partscarlos slim is infamous around these partscarlos slim is infamous around these partscarlos slim is infamous around these partscarlos slim is infamous around these partscarlos slim is infamous around these partscarlos slim is infamous around these partscarlos slim is infamous around these partscarlos slim is infamous around these partscarlos slim is infamous around these partscarlos slim is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 444,472.52
enjoy yourself - jazluvr 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Medved 

thats just retarded....he was born with a big ass head look at him....margarito is the same....
carlos slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:18 PM #9
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,030,087,470.83
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 
for invaluable advice in the training forum - jas 

Quote:
I agree it was a very good documentary. Chuvalo is very well spoken and puts it to good use in the war against drugs. I had the extreme privilege of him speaking at my High school about 20 years ago.

No suprise you became a boxing fan!
Sugarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:13 PM #10
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwoleBiceps View Post
That sounds really, really, dumb.

It's possible that it did work, and there is also a possiblity that it was just a placebo.

I'm inclined to believe that ladder. Standing on your hands increases power and chewing gum makes you have a better chin?

Yeah, I don't buy that.
He would do a head stand against the wall not a hand stand. And then he would lower his body by tilting his head to either shoulder side to side. And also lower and raise his body back and forth for a half hour. Chuvalo weighed over 200 pounds so he was manipulating a lot of weight over a 30 min period using mostly his neck muscles. It would definitely be a good neck work out.

Your jaw also has muscles , you can work them by chewing a lot of gum at a time. It actually works the muscles in the entire face I have tried it.

You might want to be a little more open to the way Chuvalo trained his punch resistance. It was something he was very good at.

Last edited by Holtol; 11-02-2010 at 01:21 PM.

Share This With Friends

Tags
chuvalo, george, punch, resistance., trained

User Tag List