Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 10-18-2010, 10:44 AM #1
Contender

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
GhostFighter is on a distinguished road
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 201,030.65
Default Question about Skipping Ropes

What kind of skipping rope would give me the most work out for my arms? Iron, nylon, leather or plastic made?
GhostFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 10-18-2010, 10:50 AM #2
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 46,273.24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFighter View Post
What kind of skipping rope would give me the most work out for my arms? Iron, nylon, leather or plastic made?
you seem to be very curious about this,have you tried any of them,if so get the one that you feel more comfortable with,
Image View Removed. For more information, please contact our forum admins by clicking here.
mrboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:10 PM #3
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,030,085,386.20
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 
for invaluable advice in the training forum - jas 

I'm interested in why you are so interested in it being a workout for the arms.
There are tonnes of decent arm exercises other than skipping. Hee hee.

You can obviously get weighted skipping ropes (the handles are fairly heavy). But while you will get more tired in your arms skipping with one of these, you will likely not be quite as quick (fewer reps per minute), therefore your legs will get less of a workout.

My favorite ropes are made from the plastic/rubbery material, Reebok do a good one! These are not weighted. I find that they are faster and more durable than the leather ropes.

Think of skipping as being a good full body cardio exercise that improves coordination, rhythm and footwork.
Sugarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:26 PM #4
Contender

josh-hill is on a distinguished road
Total Points: 82,127.15

seconded. dont do skipping for your arms. i also prefer the light plastic ones
josh-hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:28 PM #5
Interim Champion

ScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud of
Bank: 444,830.25
Total Points: 465,782.87
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - bearman3000 

If the best workout for your arms is your main priority for skipping ropes then you can get ones that are a metal rope (usually coated in plastic/rubber) with metal handles.

But skipping is more considered a fast paced cardio workout or a warmup. If you do it fast with a regular speed rope you will feel it in your arms/shoulders too.
ScottDBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:33 PM #6
Banned

mrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 46,273.24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarj View Post
I'm interested in why you are so interested in it being a workout for the arms.
There are tonnes of decent arm exercises other than skipping. Hee hee.

You can obviously get weighted skipping ropes (the handles are fairly heavy). But while you will get more tired in your arms skipping with one of these, you will likely not be quite as quick (fewer reps per minute), therefore your legs will get less of a workout.

My favorite ropes are made from the plastic/rubbery material, Reebok do a good one! These are not weighted. I find that they are faster and more durable than the leather ropes.

Think of skipping as being a good full body cardio exercise that improves coordination, rhythm and footwork.
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh-hill View Post
seconded. dont do skipping for your arms. i also prefer the light plastic ones
the arms assist the wrists when working the skipping rope,you two seem to be speculating that arms have nothing to do with the rope skipping process
Image View Removed. For more information, please contact our forum admins by clicking here.
mrboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:07 PM #7
Undisputed Champion

Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboxer View Post
the arms assist the wrists when working the skipping rope,you two seem to be speculating that arms have nothing to do with the rope skipping process

Mr Boxer,

Please see my final paragraph,

'Think of skipping as being a good full body cardio exercise that improves coordination, rhythm and footwork'

The arms are part of the full body!

I dont mean to be sarcastic but your post was pretty weak. I've skipped rope for two decades, its something I do rather well!
Old 10-18-2010, 08:04 PM #8
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Gonzalez_Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeGonzalez_Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeGonzalez_Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeGonzalez_Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeGonzalez_Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeGonzalez_Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeGonzalez_Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeGonzalez_Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeGonzalez_Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeGonzalez_Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeGonzalez_Boxing has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 91,239,377,612,967.72
Total Points: 91,239,383,292,089.59

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFighter View Post
Wtf is an iron skip rope?
Gonzalez_Boxing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:17 AM #9
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-O-Mac View Post

I guess its for those who dont want to be 'chained' down to one rope! Ha ha
Old 10-19-2010, 08:25 AM #10
The Great John L.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Spartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 59,233,820,463.55
Total Points: 59,233,995,475.89
u da man .... thx 4 da castillo corrales cap - -Boxzilla- king of da 720p thread ... - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- 
Castillo Correles 720p...yeeaaa - Training4all 26 Gb!!...wow!!..nice work bro!! - Training4all ur good people ylem ... 720p homey - -Boxzilla- For setting Piggy straight, good stuff - Cuauhtémoc1502 Top top poster - rorymac 
Cheers! - Uncle Howie lite beer ... rookie! :D lol - I ♥ RVP demonoid - ƒallenloki Merry Christmas - Flab ...and a Happy New Year! - Flab 
Here's a lolli for EASTER :) - Bossy Nice looking beard :fing02: my brother has one similar to yours, that mofo takes care of that thing more than he takes care of his wife lol - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-O-Mac View Post
Probably something like this:

[Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]

has any one used one of these? they seem like they would be better then ones with just the weighted handels. the weight looks evenly distributed so im thinking it might be easier to swing faster.
Spartacus Sully is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
question, ropes, skipping

User Tag List