Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 07-31-2005, 12:06 AM #1
Up and Comer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
grant555 has a reputation beyond reputegrant555 has a reputation beyond reputegrant555 has a reputation beyond reputegrant555 has a reputation beyond reputegrant555 has a reputation beyond reputegrant555 has a reputation beyond reputegrant555 has a reputation beyond reputegrant555 has a reputation beyond reputegrant555 has a reputation beyond reputegrant555 has a reputation beyond reputegrant555 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 16,299.83
Default Larry Holmes Place in Boxing History

I am curious what people think about Holmes and his boxing legacy. Holmes is one of my favorite fighters not only because of his brilliant left jab, but because he seem to have fought in relative obscurity for years, while defending his title a record 20 times. Still, age caught up with Holmes, which was evident when he fought Tyson, but in his prime he would've beat Mike. Ironically, Mike himself admitted that after the fight. The last and most important reason why I think Holmes deserves recognition is how he handled his assets after boxing. He is one of the few guys to retire and not live broke afterwards; a trend I wish more fighters adopted.
grant555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 08-01-2005, 12:38 AM #2
boxingscene legend

Tha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 657,638.52
Performance worthy of a beer. Enjoy - El Gallo Negro! U R A Funny Son of a Bitch - Stones In Exile Funny S.O.B. - The Beatles Dome King - Firewall A gift for the Dome King - Tomato Can 
No Message - JAB5239 No Message - BoxingGenius27 cheers for posting on my thread abt valero broner much appreciated - robson24 Sup bro - El Angel For Giving the Giants Credit where credit was due. You have my respect. - BrushMyHair 
Giants, Dynasty, Winning on the Even numbered years in this decade. Lets drink to that. A Toast to baseballs most intriguing and newest dynasty. Cheers - BrushMyHair 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant555

I am curious what people think about Holmes and his boxing legacy. Holmes is one of my favorite fighters not only because of his brilliant left jab, but because he seem to have fought in relative obscurity for years, while defending his title a record 20 times. Still, age caught up with Holmes, which was evident when he fought Tyson, but in his prime he would've beat Mike. Ironically, Mike himself admitted that after the fight. The last and most important reason why I think Holmes deserves recognition is how he handled his assets after boxing. He is one of the few guys to retire and not live broke afterwards; a trend I wish more fighters adopted.
Definately...

I think Holmes would be the mean to defeat Mike Tyson...
Tha Greatest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:50 AM #3
Internet Ninja

Shaolin Bushido has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin Bushido has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin Bushido has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin Bushido has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin Bushido has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin Bushido has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin Bushido has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin Bushido has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin Bushido has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin Bushido has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin Bushido has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 44,819.53

Holmes is a top ten all time. He's got maybe the second or third longest reign, almost broke Rocky's record ... he's an all timer for sure.
Shaolin Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 01:42 AM #4
boxingscene legend

Tha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond repute
Performance worthy of a beer. Enjoy - El Gallo Negro! U R A Funny Son of a Bitch - Stones In Exile Funny S.O.B. - The Beatles Dome King - Firewall A gift for the Dome King - Tomato Can 
No Message - JAB5239 No Message - BoxingGenius27 cheers for posting on my thread abt valero broner much appreciated - robson24 Sup bro - El Angel For Giving the Giants Credit where credit was due. You have my respect. - BrushMyHair 
Giants, Dynasty, Winning on the Even numbered years in this decade. Lets drink to that. A Toast to baseballs most intriguing and newest dynasty. Cheers - BrushMyHair 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Bushido
Holmes is a top ten all time. He's got maybe the second or third longest reign, almost broke Rocky's record ... he's an all timer for sure.
Very true...

I don't rate him on his record or nothin...

but on his skill...

He was one of the most talented heavyweights of all time...
Old 08-01-2005, 06:48 AM #5
Interim Champion

M26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 16,225.78

No doubt a great fighter, underrated by some. Definitely in the top-ten of the all-time heavyweights. Extremely talented fighter, who just had the misfortune to become champion right after Ali retired.
M26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:16 AM #6
Up and Comer

oakleyno1 is infamous around these partsoakleyno1 is infamous around these partsoakleyno1 is infamous around these partsoakleyno1 is infamous around these partsoakleyno1 is infamous around these partsoakleyno1 is infamous around these partsoakleyno1 is infamous around these partsoakleyno1 is infamous around these partsoakleyno1 is infamous around these partsoakleyno1 is infamous around these partsoakleyno1 is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 21,925.00

i have holmes around 6th on my all time list. Theres no doubt hes a great but like lennix lewis i think did not get the credit he deserved until much later on
oakleyno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 02:16 PM #7
Contender

BAREKNUCKLES has a reputation beyond reputeBAREKNUCKLES has a reputation beyond reputeBAREKNUCKLES has a reputation beyond reputeBAREKNUCKLES has a reputation beyond reputeBAREKNUCKLES has a reputation beyond reputeBAREKNUCKLES has a reputation beyond reputeBAREKNUCKLES has a reputation beyond reputeBAREKNUCKLES has a reputation beyond reputeBAREKNUCKLES has a reputation beyond reputeBAREKNUCKLES has a reputation beyond reputeBAREKNUCKLES has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 18,864.00

Larry Holmes had many things in his corner to make him a great champion.

He had great size, quick hands, an incredibly long reach and was very crafty in the ring and not to mention excellent power.

Larry cut his teeth sparring with the greatest heavyweights of all time.

There are two things that he needed to become one of the very few "elite" fighters, and that would be quality opponents. The heavyweight division during his tenure lacked any kind of lustre.

Had there been other great heavys during his prime like a Mike Tyson or Evander Holyfield, Larry could have become a defining fighter.

However, his lack of charisma and beating up Ali ruined his chance at becoming a "people's champion".

Larry's skills and physical ability were on par with any heavyweight in history, but history has shown that the true great champions were beloved by their fans.

Larry was not a beloved champion.

Sad but true.

In terms of skill, I rank him top 5

In terms of being a master entertainer, he wouldn't crack the top 20.
BAREKNUCKLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 02:23 PM #8
Up and Comer

oakleyno1 is infamous around these partsoakleyno1 is infamous around these partsoakleyno1 is infamous around these partsoakleyno1 is infamous around these partsoakleyno1 is infamous around these partsoakleyno1 is infamous around these partsoakleyno1 is infamous around these partsoakleyno1 is infamous around these partsoakleyno1 is infamous around these partsoakleyno1 is infamous around these partsoakleyno1 is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 21,925.00

unfortunetly if he had not taken the ali fight evry1 wuda said oh u were scared etc
and if he had charisma people wuda gone oh ur ttrying to b like ali he cudnt win... also after the spinks fight saying rocky m cudnt carry his jockstrap was not clecver
oakleyno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 03:10 PM #9
boxingscene legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAREKNUCKLES
Larry Holmes had many things in his corner to make him a great champion.

He had great size, quick hands, an incredibly long reach and was very crafty in the ring and not to mention excellent power.

Larry cut his teeth sparring with the greatest heavyweights of all time.

There are two things that he needed to become one of the very few "elite" fighters, and that would be quality opponents. The heavyweight division during his tenure lacked any kind of lustre.

Had there been other great heavys during his prime like a Mike Tyson or Evander Holyfield, Larry could have become a defining fighter.

However, his lack of charisma and beating up Ali ruined his chance at becoming a "people's champion".

Larry's skills and physical ability were on par with any heavyweight in history, but history has shown that the true great champions were beloved by their fans.

Larry was not a beloved champion.

Sad but true.

In terms of skill, I rank him top 5

In terms of being a master entertainer, he wouldn't crack the top 20.

Not only did he knock out Ali that made the people hate him...but he knocked out "The Great White Hope" Gerry Cooney who the country had nothin but love for...
Old 08-02-2005, 09:50 AM #10
Contender

chopper77 has a reputation beyond reputechopper77 has a reputation beyond reputechopper77 has a reputation beyond reputechopper77 has a reputation beyond reputechopper77 has a reputation beyond reputechopper77 has a reputation beyond reputechopper77 has a reputation beyond reputechopper77 has a reputation beyond reputechopper77 has a reputation beyond reputechopper77 has a reputation beyond reputechopper77 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 12,725.00

The all time best jab I have ever seen in the ring, and you know what they say, "everything works off the jab". I would match him up in his prime with any other fighter in their prime.
chopper77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

User Tag List