No announcement yet.

Rocky Marciano VS Mike Tyson.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocky Marciano VS Mike Tyson.

Just had a massive discussion with a friend of mine about this, and he reckons that Rocky would win against Mike Tyson in a modern day fight.

Now take into consideration that Rocky would be fighting in the same condition he was in, in his prime, and the same with Tyson. Now tell me who would win, and i will tell you who and why i think one of them would win after.

P.s Im guessing this thread has come up before, sorry but i need an answer cos this is buggin me.

marciano via ko, no doubt.
    it'd be a bloody mess of a fight, but i can't see
    tyson winning that fight.

if the smaller heavyweights of years past are gonna struggle,
    it would be against taller guys like foreman or holyfield who can sit back and extend their reach and power.
    tyson was what? 220lbs in his prime? but, he was only
    5'11 or so, so he'd have to be in the pocket with someone who actually fights back.

tyson doesnt have the heart to beat marciano.

as a matter of fact, i think a bunch of the old heavies
    would beat tyson's ass.

tyson has won exactly zero tough fights.
    every fight he's had, he's either dominated, or, when the
    other guy actually fought back, tyson got his ass kicked.
    so, i say marciano whips his ass.

as for the size difference, it's misleading.
    this gets brought up alot. people talk about tyson, tua, etc...
    but look at other sports. look how much power pitchers generate
    to throw a 95+ mph fastball, they aren't musclebound.
    billy wagner for the phillies throws 99mph consistently, he's 5'9
    180lbs!

my point is, weight doesnt mean power.
    primo carnerna was a 6'6 260 bum.
    jameel mcline 6'7 270 and can't break a pane of glass with his
    punches.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle_rico
      marciano via ko, no doubt.
      it'd be a bloody mess of a fight, but i can't see
      tyson winning that fight.

if the smaller heavyweights of years past are gonna struggle,
      it would be against taller guys like foreman or holyfield who can sit back and extend their reach and power.
      tyson was what? 220lbs in his prime? but, he was only
      5'11 or so, so he'd have to be in the pocket with someone who actually fights back.

tyson doesnt have the heart to beat marciano.

as a matter of fact, i think a bunch of the old heavies
      would beat tyson's ass.

tyson has won exactly zero tough fights.
      every fight he's had, he's either dominated, or, when the
      other guy actually fought back, tyson got his ass kicked.
      so, i say marciano whips his ass.

as for the size difference, it's misleading.
      this gets brought up alot. people talk about tyson, tua, etc...
      but look at other sports. look how much power pitchers generate
      to throw a 95+ mph fastball, they aren't musclebound.
      billy wagner for the phillies throws 99mph consistently, he's 5'9
      180lbs!

my point is, weight doesnt mean power.
      primo carnerna was a 6'6 260 bum.
      jameel mcline 6'7 270 and can't break a pane of glass with his
      punches.
      You make some good points but i simply have to disagree, simply cos the type of training either received.

I mean you look at modern day, the nutrionalists and all that, then you look at what resources Rocky had available to him. Simple Rocky would not be able to keep up with the requirememnts of a modern day boxer like Tyson with all his power, far exceeding that of Rocky's and also lets not forget that Rocky's chin was only tested by the men he fought. Tyson's chin has been tested by the likes of some of the heaviest hitters the world has ever seen.

Sorry but Tyson by late KO/TKO in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by eXig3
        You make some good points but i simply have to disagree, simply cos the type of training either received.

I mean you look at modern day, the nutrionalists and all that, then you look at what resources Rocky had available to him. Simple Rocky would not be able to keep up with the requirememnts of a modern day boxer like Tyson with all his power, far exceeding that of Rocky's and also lets not forget that Rocky's chin was only tested by the men he fought. Tyson's chin has been tested by the likes of some of the heaviest hitters the world has ever seen.

fair enough, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by eXig3

yeah i agree, its different era and different strategic,training etc. tysons prime is not when he fough bruno or douglas that tyson would be ko by any top 30 i guess just to slow and dumb. guess because all medication he had he just looks ****ed up after rooney. tyson is to big and fast. noway rocky could touch tyson just face all please. and again its different era we cant compare like this cause noone really know the answear.
          moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Prime Tyson vs prime Marciano? Tyson would definately win by an early KO. Tyson was faster and hit harder than Rocky.... come on now. Just because Tyson is hated by many and is the poster boy "bad guy" you can't think Marciano would stand a chance. Look at the fight clips back to back. Marciano vs. Walcott and Tyson vs Marvis Frazier. (Just trying to pick someone that was Rocky's height). The speed and the power difference is so apparent.
            moneytheman Ascended Piggu Piggu like this.

Comment

How would Marciano respond if Tyson bit his ear, it needs to be considered.

Comment

Originally posted by FistoftheDallasStar
                Prime Tyson vs prime Marciano? Tyson would definately win by an early KO. Tyson was faster and hit harder than Rocky.... come on now. Just because Tyson is hated by many and is the poster boy "bad guy" you can't think Marciano would stand a chance. Look at the fight clips back to back. Marciano vs. Walcott and Tyson vs Marvis Frazier. (Just trying to pick someone that was Rocky's height). The speed and the power difference is so apparent.
                here's the thing tho, the technology back then was soooo different.
                so, it's hard to gauge speed and strength cuz the tv's and camera's sucked.
                think about it. if you look at any of those old fights, it's not like
                now with the carmera shots right in the fighters faces so you can see
                every little cut and the sweat on their faces.
                look at the old fights, the camera wasn't close enough to see
                anything.
                so, unless you're old enough to have seen those fights live or
                had someone in your familiy see those fights and tell you about
                them, it's very easy to say the old guys sucked cause the film
                on them did them no justice.

so, i know it seems like tyson is this hard hittin beast, and he was, but
                i don't think you can take anything away from marciano.

again, like in baseball, now you can see every pitch and how hard it is.
                they show you the results from the radar after every pitch.
                well, think about all-time great pitchers like bob gibson who threw absolute gas. there was no gun back then, so no one knows how hard he really threw, but not one person would dare to see there's many pitchers today that can throw harder, cuz there are plenty of people who've seen him pitch live and todays pitchers live, and they can say gibson threw as hard as anyone else. know what i mean?

it really is hard to compare fighters in differnt eras.
                Without a doubt in all sports, today's athletes are bigger and stronger; i just don't think that it means they're always better. most times, yes, but not always.

Comment

also wanted to add, marciano did beat joe louis.

i know it's foolish apply circular logic to boxing
                  (ie, fighter "a" beats fighter "b" and fighter beat
                  has beaten fighter "c", you can assume fighter "a"
                  would be fighter "c")
                  but i think it applies here.

here's what i mean.
                  maricano's size is talked about so much, but people forget
                  joe louis regularly fought at or near 215. so, my point is
                  if marciano can beat a 215lbs fighter of joe louis' caliber
                  he can beat the 225lbs guys of today.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle_rico
                    also wanted to add, marciano did beat joe louis.

i know it's foolish apply circular logic to boxing
                    (ie, fighter "a" beats fighter "b" and fighter beat
                    has beaten fighter "c", you can assume fighter "a"
                    would be fighter "c")
                    but i think it applies here.

here's what i mean.
                    maricano's size is talked about so much, but people forget
                    joe louis regularly fought at or near 215. so, my point is
                    if marciano can beat a 215lbs fighter of joe louis' caliber
                    he can beat the 225lbs guys of today.

I agree with you in that the fighters of today are not superior to the fighters of yesterday just because they are bigger. Further, I am a huge Marciano fan, and given Tysons lack of heart and stamina, a Marciano win is not totally unlikely. How ever, a prime Tyson from 1987 with all his speed and power would be the favorite in this match up. Given the fact that Marciano was kind of a "slow starter", I can see Tyson forcing the ref to stop the fight early.

Of course, if Marciano survives the first couple of rounds, he would destroy Tyson.

The fact that Marciano defeated Joe Louis is not a very solid argument. Granted, Louis was still a good fighter at the time he fought Marciano, with eight straight wins prior to the fight, but he was nowhere near his prime. He was a 37-year-old unmotivated has-been, forced to fight because of financial difficulties. The Joe Louis of 1951 was not a force to be reckoned with. So Marciano never did beat a "fighter of Joe Louis' caliber". He fought the shadow of Joe Louis and it took him close to eight rounds to finish him off.

Comment

Working...
                    X