Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 08-09-2010, 12:17 PM #1
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
SBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 10,005,392,601.27
for being a heavyweight in history section - led wipe your dirty mouth - -Ironmike- I heard you like men - -Ironmike- The "I hate Tyson" award of the year - -Ironmike- Good posts. - Barnburner 
No Message - -jose- you suck dick, i will kick you. - Weltschmerz training for your debut to suck dick,! - Weltschmerz 
Default What does it mean to say that a fighter is "in his prime"?

What does it mean to say that a fighter is "in his prime"?

What does it mean to say that a fighter is "past his prime"?
SBleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 08-09-2010, 12:27 PM #2
Contender

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
GymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 43,916,169.56
Total Points: 43,965,217.03
routines...... - Saucy Jacky 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBleeder View Post
What does it mean to say that a fighter is "in his prime"?

What does it mean to say that a fighter is "past his prime"?
As I explained to you in the other threads, basically:
1.) Being on top of your game.
2.) Being in tip-top shape, both physically and mentally.
3.) Having and maintaining the sharpened skills necessary to beat opponents who face you.
4.) Defeating all (or at least most) of the opponents you face.
GymRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:19 PM #3
And You And I

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
StarshipTrooper has a reputation beyond reputeStarshipTrooper has a reputation beyond reputeStarshipTrooper has a reputation beyond reputeStarshipTrooper has a reputation beyond reputeStarshipTrooper has a reputation beyond reputeStarshipTrooper has a reputation beyond reputeStarshipTrooper has a reputation beyond reputeStarshipTrooper has a reputation beyond reputeStarshipTrooper has a reputation beyond reputeStarshipTrooper has a reputation beyond reputeStarshipTrooper has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,651,465,371,169,987.75
Total Points: 1,651,465,371,173,330.50
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
for you homie, - Tha_Greatest For 'always' making me lol - mickey malone Thanks for the thumbs up! - Holtol BURR! Until I can get you some green... - Bloody$Nate$ U called it -  Classic Klitchko Snoozer! - The Surgeon 

A fighter is in his prime when he has the maturity and experience to go along with undiminished reflexes. Once his reflexes start to slide he's past-prime, simple as that. When his reflexes are gone he's a shot fighter. Age has nothing to do it beyond the fact that I can't recall seeing a fighter older than his early 30s that still had his reflexes fully intact.

Poet
StarshipTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:31 PM #4
spider jerusalem!

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
talip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,071,151,306,694.77
great poster - MaD vEiN prolific poster - Jerub_Baal thank you talip merry christmas - the collector Happy holidays bro! - led* Season's Greetings - Freedom. 
Welcome to the ranks - Terrel 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poet682006 View Post
A fighter is in his prime when he has the maturity and experience to go along with undiminished reflexes. Once his reflexes start to slide he's past-prime, simple as that. When his reflexes are gone he's a shot fighter. Age has nothing to do it beyond the fact that I can't recall seeing a fighter older than his early 30s that still had his reflexes fully intact.

Poet
roy jones when most of his reflexes left him along with his freakish athleticism, and with no solid fundamentals to rely on became a very beatable fighter...

very much in contrast to fighters with excellent longevity relying with their fundamentals to compete against younger and bigger foes like duran and hopkins...
talip bin osman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:34 PM #5
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
SBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,005,392,601.27
for being a heavyweight in history section - led wipe your dirty mouth - -Ironmike- I heard you like men - -Ironmike- The &amp;quot;I hate Tyson&amp;quot; award of the year - -Ironmike- Good posts. - Barnburner 
No Message - -jose- you suck dick, i will kick you. - Weltschmerz training for your debut to suck dick,! - Weltschmerz 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymRat View Post
As I explained to you in the other threads, basically:
1.) Being on top of your game.
2.) Being in tip-top shape, both physically and mentally.
3.) Having and maintaining the sharpened skills necessary to beat opponents who face you.
4.) Defeating all (or at least most) of the opponents you face.
By that definition, a fighter's prime could consist of only one fight. Is that acceptable?
SBleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:37 PM #6
And You And I

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
StarshipTrooper has a reputation beyond reputeStarshipTrooper has a reputation beyond reputeStarshipTrooper has a reputation beyond reputeStarshipTrooper has a reputation beyond reputeStarshipTrooper has a reputation beyond reputeStarshipTrooper has a reputation beyond reputeStarshipTrooper has a reputation beyond reputeStarshipTrooper has a reputation beyond reputeStarshipTrooper has a reputation beyond reputeStarshipTrooper has a reputation beyond reputeStarshipTrooper has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,651,465,371,169,987.75
Total Points: 1,651,465,371,173,330.50
for you homie, - Tha_Greatest For 'always' making me lol - mickey malone Thanks for the thumbs up! - Holtol BURR! Until I can get you some green... - Bloody$Nate$ U called it -  Classic Klitchko Snoozer! - The Surgeon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by talip bin osman View Post
roy jones when most of his reflexes left him along with his freakish athleticism, and with no solid fundamentals to rely on became a very beatable fighter...

very much in contrast to fighters with excellent longevity relying with their fundamentals to compete against younger and bigger foes like duran and hopkins...
Some fighters are able to make adjustments and continue to have success after they reach past-prime status.....some, like roy jones, can't.

Poet
StarshipTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:50 AM #7
Interim Champion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Megamasterking is infamous around these partsMegamasterking is infamous around these partsMegamasterking is infamous around these partsMegamasterking is infamous around these partsMegamasterking is infamous around these partsMegamasterking is infamous around these partsMegamasterking is infamous around these partsMegamasterking is infamous around these partsMegamasterking is infamous around these partsMegamasterking is infamous around these partsMegamasterking is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 76,507.30
Lucian Bute - Freedom. 

For me, it's starts when a boxer is physically and mentally mature, we know that it will be different for every boxer.

For exemple: i'm 42 now and consider myself way past prime. From what i can remembered, i was prime from 25 to 35, at 38 i was past prime. I still have power, but at 25 i could go to the gym 6 times a week and run 6 km a day, at 42 i would be dead if i was doing that !
Megamasterking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:46 AM #8
Contender

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
GymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 43,916,169.56
Total Points: 43,965,217.03
routines...... - Saucy Jacky 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBleeder View Post
By that definition, a fighter's prime could consist of only one fight. Is that acceptable?
Sure. Maybe not acceptable, but it can be that way. Mostly fighters are in their prime for a streak of 10 or more fights or so, so being prime for only one fight is rare. If a prime Roberto Duran beat someone clearly and most skillfully and then took two years off and partied, got fat, didn't train, and dropped the ball entirely and then fought the same person he steamrolled last fight and he lost embarrassingly this time (or won, either way), he would no longer be in his prime.
GymRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:21 AM #9
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
frankenfrank is on a distinguished road
Bank: 41,527,631.18
Total Points: 41,754,347.14
No Message - jazluvr isaksak mo sa tumbong mo - Akinapepemo for more practice - jazluvr thanks - HARRY KNUCKLES No Message - jazluvr 
To wipe off your lipstick and other make-up - jazluvr save up for your sex change - jazluvr Don't wanna run out... - jazluvr you keep breaking these...lol. - jazluvr another refill, stop using so much! - jazluvr 
here ya go fruitcake - jazluvr more $ for sex change - jazluvr No Message - jazluvr For your asshole, since you are one. - Chups For your ass since you are one. - Chups 
stick this in your mouth then swallow - -pound4pound- No Message - BritishBoxing92 for your collection - jazluvr No Message - jazluvr No Message - jazluvr 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Childhood Cancer - MorningSpecial Childhood Cancer - MorningSpecial 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - alexpz Gay and Lesbian Pride - lebrick Gay and Lesbian Pride - alexpz 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - cooper5 Gay and Lesbian Pride - cooper5 Gay and Lesbian Pride - cooper5 Gay and Lesbian Pride - BritishBoxing92 Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr 

When the boxer is healthy and has experience against elite level fighters , or at least dangerous opponents.
frankenfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:59 AM #10
BPP is Reenos *****

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
-CANE- has a reputation beyond repute-CANE- has a reputation beyond repute-CANE- has a reputation beyond repute-CANE- has a reputation beyond repute-CANE- has a reputation beyond repute-CANE- has a reputation beyond repute-CANE- has a reputation beyond repute-CANE- has a reputation beyond repute-CANE- has a reputation beyond repute-CANE- has a reputation beyond repute-CANE- has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,975,586.09
Total Points: 2,563,711.81
No Message - col Blake congrats on 3k darl - OldSkool I like my man with a little meat on his bones. - RiZOOM Considering you're a yid, you seem sweet as. Here's a Jewish beer. - Chunk Get it down yer, congrats and good luck on the baby. - Jamboboy 
thx - MILE KITIC Because you are the fucking man!!!!! - abosworth 4,000 awesome posts. - The_Bringer 4000 fucking brilliant posts - Tuggers1986 To one of the greatest pwners of all time. Have a brew with your boy, Pea. - 917-30 
For das pwn.... - 917-30 Right back at ya bro. Fire up the PS3 and break out the booze. - The_Bringer cheers you mother lol - Terrible... good to be back man! - Hawkins P4P Pwn King - TRAVI$ 
Childhood Cancer - mangler 

On here it means when Tyson was champion and unbeatable by any other fighter in history.
-CANE- is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
"in, fighter, prime"?

User Tag List