Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2005, 11:55 PM #1
TheEvilSaint TheEvilSaint is offline
I Dub Thee UNFORGIVEN
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Michigan
Age: 29
Posts: 6,769
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 29
TheEvilSaint has a reputation beyond reputeTheEvilSaint has a reputation beyond reputeTheEvilSaint has a reputation beyond reputeTheEvilSaint has a reputation beyond reputeTheEvilSaint has a reputation beyond reputeTheEvilSaint has a reputation beyond reputeTheEvilSaint has a reputation beyond reputeTheEvilSaint has a reputation beyond reputeTheEvilSaint has a reputation beyond reputeTheEvilSaint has a reputation beyond reputeTheEvilSaint has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 148,894.63
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 148,894.63
Default Cobb's 1st Round KO Loss?

i found out about randall "tex" cobb (as a boxer) almost a year ago. i didnt look at his record until a couple of months ago. and i knew all along that tex cobb had one of the greatest chins in history, but i looked at his record and i couldnt believe what i saw: a 1st round knockout loss to Dee Collier.

a few things im wondering about:
1. how is it possible for a guy who took ken norton's, earnie shavers, and larry holmes best shots without being stopped or dropped to get knocked out IN THE FIRST ROUND by a nobody like Dee Collier?

2. prior to the Collier fight, he was knocked down in the 9th by another nobody called Eddie Gregg. like the previous statement, how is it possible for a nobody to knock down tex cobb when earnie shavers (one of the hardest hitters in history) couldnt do it?

3. back to the collier fight, aside from the fact that he was KOd in the first, how did collier knock cobb down 4 TIMES in less than a round when holmes, shavers, and norton couldnt even do it in a combined 33 rounds?

someone, plz explain at least some of this to me...
TheEvilSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 07-08-2005, 02:52 AM #2
Foreman Foreman is offline
Contender
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 314
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 0
Foreman is infamous around these partsForeman is infamous around these partsForeman is infamous around these partsForeman is infamous around these partsForeman is infamous around these partsForeman is infamous around these partsForeman is infamous around these partsForeman is infamous around these partsForeman is infamous around these partsForeman is infamous around these partsForeman is infamous around these parts
Points: 15,401.00
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 15,401.00
Default

It happens. Maybe he wasn't warmed up and got caught. Duran had a granite chin but got KTFO by Tommy Hearns. Duran went down like he had been shot. This is the same Duran that went the distance with Hagler.

Ali got wailed on by George Foreman and didn't go down but Henry Cooper had him down and in SERIOUS trouble. No real answer for it I guess.
Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 03:51 AM #3
Smack Smack is offline
Interim Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Age: 32
Posts: 693
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 2696
Smack has a reputation beyond reputeSmack has a reputation beyond reputeSmack has a reputation beyond reputeSmack has a reputation beyond reputeSmack has a reputation beyond reputeSmack has a reputation beyond reputeSmack has a reputation beyond reputeSmack has a reputation beyond reputeSmack has a reputation beyond reputeSmack has a reputation beyond reputeSmack has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 21,102.27
Bank: 3,476.35
Total Points: 24,578.62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreman
It happens. Maybe he wasn't warmed up and got caught. Duran had a granite chin but got KTFO by Tommy Hearns. Duran went down like he had been shot. This is the same Duran that went the distance with Hagler.

Ali got wailed on by George Foreman and didn't go down but Henry Cooper had him down and in SERIOUS trouble. No real answer for it I guess.

Anybody can get knocked down or even knocked out if a punch lands right on their sweet spot. Position of your self, rather you're walking into the punch among other things plays a big part in this situation.

Hearns' knock out punch on Duran was perfect, when it impacted on Duran's chin, it sounded like a gun shot and like Foreman said, he even looked like he'd gone down from a bullet.

I'm going to look into seeing these matches cause I never actually inspected his record, even though I've seen about 10 of his fights.
Smack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 05:15 AM #4
Yogi Yogi is offline
Hey, Boo Boo
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Jellystone Park
Age: 50
Posts: 2,755
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 145
Yogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 44,425.36
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 44,425.36
Boxingscene's elite - !! AI-Holmes!! To a clever bear. A Superbear! - BatTheMan 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEvilSaint
i found out about randall "tex" cobb (as a boxer) almost a year ago. i didnt look at his record until a couple of months ago. and i knew all along that tex cobb had one of the greatest chins in history, but i looked at his record and i couldnt believe what i saw: a 1st round knockout loss to Dee Collier.

a few things im wondering about:
1. how is it possible for a guy who took ken norton's, earnie shavers, and larry holmes best shots without being stopped or dropped to get knocked out IN THE FIRST ROUND by a nobody like Dee Collier?

2. prior to the Collier fight, he was knocked down in the 9th by another nobody called Eddie Gregg. like the previous statement, how is it possible for a nobody to knock down tex cobb when earnie shavers (one of the hardest hitters in history) couldnt do it?

3. back to the collier fight, aside from the fact that he was KOd in the first, how did collier knock cobb down 4 TIMES in less than a round when holmes, shavers, and norton couldnt even do it in a combined 33 rounds?

someone, plz explain at least some of this to me...
There have been many opinions over the years stating Cobb took a dive in that fight, but since I haven't seen the fight for myself, I can't either endorse or deny those opinions...I can only mention what those who did see the fight thought happened.

And Eddie Gregg wasn't exactly a "nobody" during that time, my friend. He recieved a little bit of press when coming up and even though he wasn't a top-tier heavyweight of the day, he still snuck into the top ten rankings during that time. Even though he's probably best known for the lack of quality in the chin dept, or as the opponent for James Broad when 'Broad Axe' came up with what was by far his career best performance, he was still a pretty decent and reasonably skilled heavyweight (with decent power)...Again, I haven't seen the Gregg/Cobb fight to form my own definate opinion of it, but who knows what type of knockdown it was (could've been one of the flash or off-balance variety).
Yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 11:52 AM #5
marvdave marvdave is offline
hagler ud over Leonard
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Placentia,CA.
Age: 48
Posts: 4,136
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 9907
marvdave has a reputation beyond reputemarvdave has a reputation beyond reputemarvdave has a reputation beyond reputemarvdave has a reputation beyond reputemarvdave has a reputation beyond reputemarvdave has a reputation beyond reputemarvdave has a reputation beyond reputemarvdave has a reputation beyond reputemarvdave has a reputation beyond reputemarvdave has a reputation beyond reputemarvdave has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 29,342.54
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 29,342.54
Default

Mr Cobb had atendancy to get in financial trouble and was known to throw fights.

I don't recall seeing the Collier fight, but I would be skeptical.
marvdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 03:36 PM #6
Dynamite76 Dynamite76 is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,595
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Rep Power: 16
Dynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 100,085,472.86
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 100,085,472.86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi
There have been many opinions over the years stating Cobb took a dive in that fight, but since I haven't seen the fight for myself, I can't either endorse or deny those opinions...I can only mention what those who did see the fight thought happened.

And Eddie Gregg wasn't exactly a "nobody" during that time, my friend. He recieved a little bit of press when coming up and even though he wasn't a top-tier heavyweight of the day, he still snuck into the top ten rankings during that time. Even though he's probably best known for the lack of quality in the chin dept, or as the opponent for James Broad when 'Broad Axe' came up with what was by far his career best performance, he was still a pretty decent and reasonably skilled heavyweight (with decent power)...Again, I haven't seen the Gregg/Cobb fight to form my own definate opinion of it, but who knows what type of knockdown it was (could've been one of the flash or off-balance variety).
Eddie Gregg was good, but truthfully was lucky to win the 1978 New York Golden Gloves.
Dynamite76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 04:32 PM #7
jabsRstiff jabsRstiff is offline
! ! ! !
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 9,484
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rep Power: 4033
jabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 20,329.92
Bank: 150,126,020,176.29
Total Points: 150,126,040,506.21
Default

Everyone needs to see Shavers-Cobb.

There was something wrong with Earnie Shavers shoes' in that fight, I kid you not.
He had no footing, & it wasn't a case of him having shot, old man legs. He was sliding all over the place, & when he punched...his feet could not get planted.

I don't know if it would have been a different result, had he been able to punch properly...'cause Cobb was inhuman. But, Shavers had almost inhuman punching power, when he delivered his shots to their fullest.
jabsRstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 04:39 PM #8
abdiel2k3 abdiel2k3 is offline
El Terrible
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Age: 31
Posts: 8,298
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 21503
abdiel2k3 has a reputation beyond reputeabdiel2k3 has a reputation beyond reputeabdiel2k3 has a reputation beyond reputeabdiel2k3 has a reputation beyond reputeabdiel2k3 has a reputation beyond reputeabdiel2k3 has a reputation beyond reputeabdiel2k3 has a reputation beyond reputeabdiel2k3 has a reputation beyond reputeabdiel2k3 has a reputation beyond reputeabdiel2k3 has a reputation beyond reputeabdiel2k3 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 61,655.89
Bank: 2,086,535,727,313.65
Total Points: 2,086,535,788,969.54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreman
It happens. Maybe he wasn't warmed up and got caught. Duran had a granite chin but got KTFO by Tommy Hearns. Duran went down like he had been shot. This is the same Duran that went the distance with Hagler.

Ali got wailed on by George Foreman and didn't go down but Henry Cooper had him down and in SERIOUS trouble. No real answer for it I guess.
ur comparen "tex cobb" being KOd by "Dee Collier"
to RO_BER_TO DUR_AN an old one at that being KOd by THOMAS THE HITMAN HEARNS?
u do know hearns was known for haven a lil "pop" in his right, RIGHT?
abdiel2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 05:04 PM #9
RAESAAD RAESAAD is offline
THE MUTHAFUCKIN TRUTH
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: St. Petersburg,FL
Age: 39
Posts: 33,005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 21552
RAESAAD has a reputation beyond reputeRAESAAD has a reputation beyond reputeRAESAAD has a reputation beyond reputeRAESAAD has a reputation beyond reputeRAESAAD has a reputation beyond reputeRAESAAD has a reputation beyond reputeRAESAAD has a reputation beyond reputeRAESAAD has a reputation beyond reputeRAESAAD has a reputation beyond reputeRAESAAD has a reputation beyond reputeRAESAAD has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 15,000,260,743.95
Bank: 1,013,940,368.33
Total Points: 16,014,201,112.28
Boxingscene's elite - !! AI-Holmes!! 30k POSTS PUSSY! - reedickyaluss grats on 30k - 2nd II none It's the directions to me crib BITCH. Haha.. Happy 30K cousin. - K-Nan Congrats on 30K posts, couldn't find an E hooker. - Jim Jeffries 
No Message - T-97 yuck! - mybisoy Mah Mayne Mahn Raesaad! - Dorian Pop Bottles for the Rays!!!!! - Mike06j770 Starin in my rearview - D E M Dz A 
You good peoples homey - mangler Thanx. Here's a lucky charm 4 ya homey. - mangler Have a drink on me homey - mangler Happy 33k Big Man.... - The Gully Gad 33K is the muthafukkin truth - Makavelli 
Long time no see bud.. - !! AI-Holmes!! 
Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - mangler 
Default

it is boxing thats how anything can happen.
RAESAAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:41 PM #10
anthonydavid11 anthonydavid11 is online now
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 3,563
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Rep Power: 14
anthonydavid11 has a reputation beyond reputeanthonydavid11 has a reputation beyond reputeanthonydavid11 has a reputation beyond reputeanthonydavid11 has a reputation beyond reputeanthonydavid11 has a reputation beyond reputeanthonydavid11 has a reputation beyond reputeanthonydavid11 has a reputation beyond reputeanthonydavid11 has a reputation beyond reputeanthonydavid11 has a reputation beyond reputeanthonydavid11 has a reputation beyond reputeanthonydavid11 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 826,918,573.47
Bank: 233,393,525.85
Total Points: 1,060,312,099.32
Here's to a good boxing discussion - BoxingFan85 Back at ya.  Cheers. - Redd Foxx cheers my friend - Canelo and GGG Interesting Topics - 1hourRun one of boxingscene's best - Freedom. 
Default

You never can tell in boxing. Willie Pep rarely got hit much less hurt, but a nobody named Lulu Perez stopped him early. Many think it was a dive. I agree. Fighters get in trouble outside the ring and well, often aren't at their best come fight time whether it be financial or physical or mental troubles. Remember Oliver McCall's crying on the way to the ring? Very bizarre.

Cobb proved his head was tough as they come with many quality opponents. My guess is he either got hit just right by a punch he didn't see coming or a dive. Unfortunately, Youtube doesn't have either of those losses.
anthonydavid11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share This With Friends

User Tag List

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.