Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

View Poll Results: Who is the second best boxer to retire undefeated?
Joe Calzaghe 46-0 18 46.15%
Jimmy Barry 58-0-10 0 0%
Ricardo Lopez 51-0-1 18 46.15%
Laszlo Papp 27-0 0 0%
Jack McAudiliffe 34-07 0 0%
Harry Simon 24-0 2 5.13%
Terry Marsh 26-0 0 0%
Sven Ottke 34-0 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2010, 09:49 AM #1
Self-Exiled

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 24,806,787.05
Total Points: 44,978,946.01
gizmo - HaglerSteelChin No Message - HaglerSteelChin No Message - HaglerSteelChin right back at you girly man - E.P.T. sleep on this while you think about Hagler - E.P.T. 
Cheers, thanks for the gesture - A-Wolf 
Default Who do you Regard as the second Greatest fighter to retire undefeated?

I think Rocky Marciano who retired 49-0 would likely win the poll so i will ask who you regard as the second greatest fighter who retired undefeated? I won't include Paddy Monoghan who was a modern BKB who was like 114-0. In addition, the fighter needs a minimum of 20 wins so a guy like Ji Won Kim won't be included. Perhaps another list can be made for active undefeated fighters as Chris John, Ivan Calderon, Mayweather Jr, and Abraham etc.

If any fighter you like is not mentioned please include with details. Only Critieria is retired and atleast 20 wins.
HaglerSteelChin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 01-17-2010, 10:00 AM #2
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
mickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,134,726,151.98
Total Points: 3,145,033,335.24
1000 posts right around the bend...congrats! - JAB5239 For bringing up Schmeling's classy actions! - poet682006 Nothing But Respect For You Mate - 0Rooster4Life0 To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage For fighting the Wanker Snopkins - HaglerSteelChin 
Well deserved. - Barnburner you need this for floyd - Weltschmerz kick this old butt hurt faqqot - Weltschmerz 

Good 1st choice, and the right one too!
It's a toss up between Ricardo Lopez and Joe Calzaghe..
This is a very good question, because whoever it is won't be universally recognized as an ATG.. I'll edge slightly towards Caz on the strength of him winning titles in 2 divisions with no draws..
mickey malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:32 AM #3
Undisputed Champion

GJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,020,399.65
Total Points: 2,070,152.96
To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage good poster - Counter right Excellent Poster. - Barnburner A cold pint for a knowlegeable old bastard - The Surgeon Super-Poster-- from McG - McGoorty 
You look like you need a proper DRINK - McGoorty This stuff should help the faculties - McGoorty Rest in peace old friend! - JAB5239 

Got to be Sven Ottke surely
Image View Removed. For more information, please contact our forum admins by clicking here.
GJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:13 PM #4
Undisputed Champion

mickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,134,726,151.98
Total Points: 3,145,033,335.24
1000 posts right around the bend...congrats! - JAB5239 For bringing up Schmeling's classy actions! - poet682006 Nothing But Respect For You Mate - 0Rooster4Life0 To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage For fighting the Wanker Snopkins - HaglerSteelChin 
Well deserved. - Barnburner you need this for floyd - Weltschmerz kick this old butt hurt faqqot - Weltschmerz 

Terry Marsh is actually 26-0-1.. A draw with Lloyd Christie (brother of Errol) early in his career..
Retired while reigning IBF LWW champ due to being diagnozed as suffering from epilepsy, then got arrested, banged up and eventually cleared, for the shooting of Frank Warren..

Bit of a character was Marsh, ex Marine, Fireman and at one time, a world amateur chess champion.. Like Bobby Czyz and Nicky Piper, he is also a mensa member..
I was gutted when he quit as he was coming into his prime and getting better with every fight.. The KO of John Louis Manley to win the title was nothing short of spectacular.. He was also a good talker and great in the commentary box also..

Since quiting boxing, he's had his hands in all sorts of pies.. I know he got some qualifications while studying through the Open University & later ran for Parliament in the local elections..
Although incredibly sharp & articulate, it all came to nothing as he was once again arrested by police for allegedly ripping off the Government grant system in order to gain his degree.. He was hit with several charges of defrauding the Goverment with intent, but incredibly, Marsh and his legal team made mugs of the officials in court, and was aquitted on all charges for a second time..

Marsh was always a tricky customer.. Inside the ring, he was durable, slick and incredibly fit, and outside of it, he had more moves than a snake..
Not sure what he's up to now, but i bet he's doing alright, and I don't believe for one minute, he's got epilepsy..
mickey malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:33 PM #5
Undisputed Champion

T3dBundy has disabled reputation
Bank: 6,498.32
Total Points: 1,001,372,892.54

ricardo lopez FTW
Image View Removed. For more information, please contact our forum admins by clicking here.
T3dBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:38 PM #6
Self-Exiled

HaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 24,806,787.05
Total Points: 44,978,946.01
gizmo - HaglerSteelChin No Message - HaglerSteelChin No Message - HaglerSteelChin right back at you girly man - E.P.T. sleep on this while you think about Hagler - E.P.T. 
Cheers, thanks for the gesture - A-Wolf 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey malone View Post
Terry Marsh is actually 26-0-1.. A draw with Lloyd Christie (brother of Errol) early in his career..
Retired while reigning IBF LWW champ due to being diagnozed as suffering from epilepsy, then got arrested, banged up and eventually cleared, for the shooting of Frank Warren..

Bit of a character was Marsh, ex Marine, Fireman and at one time, a world amateur chess champion.. Like Bobby Czyz and Nicky Piper, he is also a mensa member..
I was gutted when he quit as he was coming into his prime and getting better with every fight.. The KO of John Louis Manley to win the title was nothing short of spectacular.. He was also a good talker and great in the commentary box also..

Since quiting boxing, he's had his hands in all sorts of pies.. I know he got some qualifications while studying through the Open University & later ran for Parliament in the local elections..
Although incredibly sharp & articulate, it all came to nothing as he was once again arrested by police for allegedly ripping off the Government grant system in order to gain his degree.. He was hit with several charges of defrauding the Goverment with intent, but incredibly, Marsh and his legal team made mugs of the officials in court, and was aquitted on all charges for a second time..

Marsh was always a tricky customer.. Inside the ring, he was durable, slick and incredibly fit, and outside of it, he had more moves than a snake..
Not sure what he's up to now, but i bet he's doing alright, and I don't believe for one minute, he's got epilepsy..
Often records are often being updated for boxers. I put Macudiliffe as 34-0-7 but some have him as 31-0-6. There is also the issue of newspaper decsions on some past fighters and what are considered official or unofficial, or exhibition?

Jeffries also retired undefeated but came back with that fight against Jack Johnson due to white supremists and his vow to prove White Supremacy and of course failed.
HaglerSteelChin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:33 PM #7
Contender

Tsukiyomi has a reputation beyond reputeTsukiyomi has a reputation beyond reputeTsukiyomi has a reputation beyond reputeTsukiyomi has a reputation beyond reputeTsukiyomi has a reputation beyond reputeTsukiyomi has a reputation beyond reputeTsukiyomi has a reputation beyond reputeTsukiyomi has a reputation beyond reputeTsukiyomi has a reputation beyond reputeTsukiyomi has a reputation beyond reputeTsukiyomi has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 13,186.80

I haven't seen some of those guys, but Ricardo Lopez was amazing he got my vote.
Tsukiyomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:31 PM #8
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 10,030,085,766.90
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 
for invaluable advice in the training forum - jas 

Lopez got my vote by a whisker. I am a Calzaghe fan though and find him more entertaining than Ricardo.
Sugarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:07 PM #9
Undisputed Champion

Calilloyd is on a distinguished road
Bank: 624,385.10
Total Points: 655,236.63
For being one helluva poster!!! - Chief2ndzOnly! 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Freedom Fighter 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaglerSteelChin View Post
I think Rocky Marciano who retired 49-0 would likely win the poll so i will ask who you regard as the second greatest fighter who retired undefeated? I won't include Paddy Monoghan who was a modern BKB who was like 114-0. In addition, the fighter needs a minimum of 20 wins so a guy like Ji Won Kim won't be included. Perhaps another list can be made for active undefeated fighters as Chris John, Ivan Calderon, Mayweather Jr, and Abraham etc.

If any fighter you like is not mentioned please include with details. Only Critieria is retired and atleast 20 wins.
Close between Lopez and Calzaghe, but Lopez got my vote.
Calilloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:30 PM #10
Hookin' With Hookers

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
DeepSleep has a reputation beyond reputeDeepSleep has a reputation beyond reputeDeepSleep has a reputation beyond reputeDeepSleep has a reputation beyond reputeDeepSleep has a reputation beyond reputeDeepSleep has a reputation beyond reputeDeepSleep has a reputation beyond reputeDeepSleep has a reputation beyond reputeDeepSleep has a reputation beyond reputeDeepSleep has a reputation beyond reputeDeepSleep has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,695,212.17
Total Points: 1,698,335.74
thanks agian.... - supRa 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - supRa 

Lopez followed by Calzaghe.
DeepSleep is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
fighter, greatest, regard, retire, undefeated?

User Tag List