View Poll Results: Wilfred Benitez vs. Pernell Whitaker
Benitez 2 25.00%
Whitaker 6 75.00%
Draw 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2009, 08:54 PM #1
Contender

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
freudianfloyd is a splendid one to beholdfreudianfloyd is a splendid one to beholdfreudianfloyd is a splendid one to beholdfreudianfloyd is a splendid one to beholdfreudianfloyd is a splendid one to beholdfreudianfloyd is a splendid one to beholdfreudianfloyd is a splendid one to behold
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 45,502.27
Default Benitez vs. Whitaker

I think it would make a good matchup, just not alot of punches landed by either fighter.

I was watching a video on Ray Leonard, and he was talking about his fight with Benitez, and saying how hard it was to hit him. And that is coming from Sugar Ray, a very quick and accurate puncher.

And I have never seen a fight with Whitaker where anybody was able to land clean let alone often. He could make anybody look slow and awkward.

So my question is, who would take this fight in primes of course. Both are extremely fast, slick boxers, I think it would make an interesting matchup.

Your thoughts. I never kept up on either fighter too much, but they both amaze me everytime I see their old fights.

Your thoughts?
freudianfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 12-28-2009, 09:11 PM #2
Banned

donkim is infamous around these partsdonkim is infamous around these partsdonkim is infamous around these partsdonkim is infamous around these partsdonkim is infamous around these partsdonkim is infamous around these partsdonkim is infamous around these partsdonkim is infamous around these partsdonkim is infamous around these partsdonkim is infamous around these partsdonkim is infamous around these parts
Bank: 18.75
Total Points: 39,220.53
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Method Checker Gay and Lesbian Pride - JAB5239 Gay and Lesbian Pride - JAB5239 Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr 

Leonard had alot of trouble landing the right hand against Benitez early on,but his jab was consistent and accurate throughout the fight.Benitez if anything had trouble countering and hitting Leonard.Leonard's speed intimidated him a little on IMO.

I won't discredit Pernell Whitaker as a fighter or his accomplishments as he has many top wins under his belt.But defensively,he is overrated.Doing the dixy doo(whatever the hell it's called) is not great defense.

Whitaker wasn't as elusive as he is made out to be.You need to watch his fights against Jorge Paez and Poli Diaz,two guys with no technique swinging and landing clean against Whitaker.Freddie Pendleton fought a very competitive boxing match with Whitaker also.

I'm not that convinced that Whitaker was that much faster than benitez and he certainly didn't have the power to bother Benitez.

Benitez often had the tendency to be a bit of a lazy bastard and produce a low punch out-put,which Whitaker in his prime had no problems doing so,he was a very consistent fighter who boxed the entire rounds during his prime.

With that said,Benitez knocks him out in the first round.
donkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:35 PM #3
Undisputed Champion

Calilloyd is on a distinguished road
Bank: 624,385.10
Total Points: 655,230.63
For being one helluva poster!!! - Chief2ndzOnly! 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Freedom Fighter 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freudianfloyd View Post
I think it would make a good matchup, just not alot of punches landed by either fighter.

I was watching a video on Ray Leonard, and he was talking about his fight with Benitez, and saying how hard it was to hit him. And that is coming from Sugar Ray, a very quick and accurate puncher.

And I have never seen a fight with Whitaker where anybody was able to land clean let alone often. He could make anybody look slow and awkward.

So my question is, who would take this fight in primes of course. Both are extremely fast, slick boxers, I think it would make an interesting matchup.

Your thoughts. I never kept up on either fighter too much, but they both amaze me everytime I see their old fights.

Your thoughts?

Whitaker by decision.
I think Pernell was better overall.
Calilloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:47 PM #4
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
cooper5 has a reputation beyond reputecooper5 has a reputation beyond reputecooper5 has a reputation beyond reputecooper5 has a reputation beyond reputecooper5 has a reputation beyond reputecooper5 has a reputation beyond reputecooper5 has a reputation beyond reputecooper5 has a reputation beyond reputecooper5 has a reputation beyond reputecooper5 has a reputation beyond reputecooper5 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 58,444,641,677,084.34
Total Points: 58,454,641,693,797.81
good luck - TBear Super poster - jazluvr449 E-Gift - ??? have an apple - MANGLER food - MANGLER 
Here you go - ??? These are good for you. - jazluvr super - TBear have a blue parallelogram - Jack Napier A gift for ya.. - !! AI-Holmes!! 
To a deserving poster! - jazluvr tnx sa green - speedjay Good friends are treasure - jazluvr have a beer man - MANGLER Happy holidays, buddy! - jazluvr 
Happy New Year. - Round 1 cash money - MANGLER for luck and good health - jazluvr 
Childhood Cancer - ??? Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MANGLER Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - MANGLER Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - MANGLER Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - ??? 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Izrock Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - TBear AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - !! AI-Holmes!! AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Dorian AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Dorian 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - MANGLER 

I feel Whitaker's best weight was at 135. He did good at 147 but was untouchable at 135. Benitez on the otherhand was comfortable at 147 and might have a good chance here. The Benitez that fought Leonard and outboxed Duran at 154 might have given Whitaker much more than McGirt or Cardona did.
cooper5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
benitez, whitaker

User Tag List