Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 02-11-2017, 12:57 PM #1
Amateur

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
KOComplaints is on a distinguished road
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 5,702.53
Default Sparring lighter weight classes

Have you been several weight classes above your oppnonent and kept getting hit?

I am a Heavyweight of 100kg and I spar people at 50-70 kg and keep getting hit because they are so damn fast(granted,I do manage to slip 35% of their punches) But am I the only one who feels like this? I also fail to hit them.

do I suck or is this normal? I have only sparred for 1 month while they have been there longer than me,does that play a factor?
KOComplaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 02-14-2017, 04:42 AM #2
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 6,000,000,000,142,540.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOComplaints View Post
Have you been several weight classes above your oppnonent and kept getting hit?

I am a Heavyweight of 100kg and I spar people at 50-70 kg and keep getting hit because they are so damn fast(granted,I do manage to slip 35% of their punches) But am I the only one who feels like this? I also fail to hit them.

do I suck or is this normal? I have only sparred for 1 month while they have been there longer than me,does that play a factor?
You need to cut off the ring and smother them.

I remember when De La Hoya was preparing to fight Pacquiao, he sparred with a real small guy (I think Ivan Calderon?) and he was really beaten up during the session.
OctoberRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:35 AM #3
Amateur

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Richard P is on a distinguished road
Total Points: 641.09

(generally speaking)

small = fast and quick
Big = power and strength

Work on the clinch, smother, cut the ring off and pick your shots

Your never going to out punch and have higher output than someone that much smaller than you.

I would accept your going to take some punches, walk them down, work on your feet, throw a simple but strong 4 5 punch combo when youve backed them up

Im a middleweight and spar with some guys at 130 also, and i use it to help me work on my ring generalship, control the distance, they will beat me to the punch all day but i know when i do land, they matter
Richard P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:18 AM #4
Contender

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Soju has a reputation beyond reputeSoju has a reputation beyond reputeSoju has a reputation beyond reputeSoju has a reputation beyond reputeSoju has a reputation beyond reputeSoju has a reputation beyond reputeSoju has a reputation beyond reputeSoju has a reputation beyond reputeSoju has a reputation beyond reputeSoju has a reputation beyond reputeSoju has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 14,480,035,911.40
Total Points: 2,114,392,636,795.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOComplaints View Post
I have only sparred for 1 month while they have been there longer than me,does that play a factor?
Of course it does. Just keep working on it.
Soju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:36 PM #5
Contender

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Zaryu has a reputation beyond reputeZaryu has a reputation beyond reputeZaryu has a reputation beyond reputeZaryu has a reputation beyond reputeZaryu has a reputation beyond reputeZaryu has a reputation beyond reputeZaryu has a reputation beyond reputeZaryu has a reputation beyond reputeZaryu has a reputation beyond reputeZaryu has a reputation beyond reputeZaryu has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 17,098.72

Yup, it sucks, but it'll help you get better.
Zaryu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:05 PM #6
Crawling King Snake

Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Mr.MojoRisin' has a reputation beyond reputeMr.MojoRisin' has a reputation beyond reputeMr.MojoRisin' has a reputation beyond reputeMr.MojoRisin' has a reputation beyond reputeMr.MojoRisin' has a reputation beyond reputeMr.MojoRisin' has a reputation beyond reputeMr.MojoRisin' has a reputation beyond reputeMr.MojoRisin' has a reputation beyond reputeMr.MojoRisin' has a reputation beyond reputeMr.MojoRisin' has a reputation beyond reputeMr.MojoRisin' has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 120,544.97
Total Points: 125,018.97

Everybody gets whooped in sparring the first few times unless you are sparring guys your level or maybe lower.
Mr.MojoRisin' is online now   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
classes, lighter, sparring, weight

User Tag List